Paul B Technic

What's a Better Engine, Red or Yellow Cargo?

Last night I found 3677 (red cargo train) so I purchased it, my plan was to keep the wagons I wanted and then sell the rest off to help cover the costs. No having built it up I am thinking about selling the engine from 7939 and keeping the one from 3677 to use, I just prefer it for some reason. Am I crazy and what do most people feel is the better engine?

Paul

Paul: when I first saw this topic "Selling a Train", I was tempted to move this into the Buy, Sell, Trade, and Finds forum. After reading, it appears you are trying to determine which is a better engine, the Yellow Cargo or the new Red Cargo (but had to look up as I don't generally remember set numbers - pictures would help).

While I usually frown on "What set should I buy" or similar-type questions, I'll go ahead and leave this if our members want to share their opinions of the two sets or engines. If it gets into selling, the topic doesn't belong here.

I suggest you check out the reviews of each set and how each was rated to better answer your question.

I've changed the title of this topic to help provide a better description of the subject matter.

The 3677 is the only train set released in the last few years that I Haven't bought. Firstly I think £130 is too much for a train set that, to my mind, has less to it than the 7939 cargo train, in terms of the train itself, trackside features and the track. And relating to your specific question, I am not a big fan of the red engine in set 3677 - the proportions don't look right to me, it looks too long at the front.

I know a few members on here have modded it to make it look slightly shorter. Can I ask those people if that modification can be made with the existing pieces?

I'm not sure about Smith_sam's question, but in looking at Typo's review of Red Cargo 3677, he provides a nice comparison shot of the two engines side-by-side:

Look what you did. I bought the Yellow set long ago and had no interest in the Red. But seeing them like that I can't help but marvel at how nice an engine the Red is.

*sigh*

I am on a self-imposed Lego embargo (too many unbuilt sets piled up in the closet) but that Red train is calling to me...

I prefer 7939 for a few simple reasons.

1. Easily modified to use lights

2. Can fit 2 motors easily without any mods. Just the reverse direction switch.

3. Has a passenger OR freight related look. 3677 looks like a freight hauler only.

4. First diesel design of European origin in a long time. 3677 looks like remakes of 4512 and the even older 4564.

Those are just my reasons. If you try to mod any of the above into 3677 you'll be scratching your head for a simple solution.

4. First diesel design of European origin in a long time. 3677 looks like remakes of 4512 and the even older 4564.

Or even 7755 except for the symmetry, for that matter.

I actually like both: 7939 is a nice freight or passenger rather long-distance engine, whereas 3677 is good for (heavy) shunting, (limited) freight and generic work/maintenance where I wouldn't expect one like 7939.

Of course adding lights to 3677 is a bit harder, and I haven't tried a second motor and switch, but that's not the most important thing to me here...

First diesel but featuring a pantograph :tongue: I know what you mean :sweet:

Definitely the yellow train.

Good price-quality ratio.

One of the better Lego freight trains of the last year.

In the Netherlands it costs only 130 euro's compared to the red freight train for 140 euro's.

And the yellow one looks a little bit like the Dutch trains.

Honestly, I like them both. For a big electric, I've had a lot of fun with the 7939, and even though I don't own one yet I like the 'roadswitcher' (medium locomotive) that 3677 represents.

I know a few members on here have modded it to make it look slightly shorter. Can I ask those people if that modification can be made with the existing pieces?

I shortened my 3677 Loco by 6 studs. I had to buy a shorter Train Base plate (24 long) but everything else was from the box.

You can see the result here.

I prefer the yellow train for two reasons - I don't like "crocodile" style engines and in the UK (where I am) the yellow train looks more like trains I see every day. The yellow train also looks more powerful.

Edited by rriggs

Thanks everybody for the replies, I am still not 100% sure which way I will go. I am going to put the Yellow 7939 on eBay and see if it sells for a decent price.

Paul

Another vote for 7939 here. I bought a 3677 and, apart from the little yellow MOW vehicle, wish I hadn't. I felt the loco was a very simplistic build with obvious cost-cutting in the dummy bogie and the rest of it is just forgetable. I'm not sure whether to ebay the unbuilt parts or add them to the bits box....

They are both very nice sets. I think we need to know what you are planning on doing to make a better determination. For instance - the red set can be pretty easily modified into one of ALCO's RS series engines. The Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio had many RS-1s and had a red scheme making it an excellent conversion choice. The Yellow set on the other hand is a great starting point for a cowl-cab unit. Santa Fe had F45s in their Blue and Yellow scheme.

GMO_MB_RS-1.jpg

GMO RS-1 outside...Chicago?

4775568391_365a84e6f4_z.jpg

ATSF F45 in the 'Yellow Bonnet' scheme

edit: spelling

Edited by Peter L

I like them both but for me they are different types of loco for hauling different types of train.

For me, the yellow engine looks like a large powerful main line loco for hauling fast freight or passenger trains

The red engine is a switching / shunting / slow speed freight loco or for hauling engineers trains

For me therefore, they both have their own different role on my layout. My suggestion would be to get both!