laix

LEGO Motorized Pneumatic Pump

One of my plans for 2012 is to build a pneumatic walker. Therefore, I have to guarantee a sufficient air-flow. Main restrictions are space and of course weight. After several attempts with different arrangements and a destroyed Pneumatic Pump (yes, I removed the spring and afterwards it couldn't hold the pressure anymore), I started to copy some designs from other builders like e.g. Sariel's rocking compressor. But I was pleased by none of them.

I wanted something more stable and reliable and when I discovered radbot's concept on eurobricks, I was enthusiastic to build a frame housing those 8 Small Pumps. The dimensions are 7x10x10 studs.

pneumatic_pump_1_small.jpg

pneumatic_pump_3_small.jpg

I used the Pin Connector Perpendicular Long (32557) in order to achieve a 2L displacement on the crankshaft.

pneumatic_pump_92_small.jpg

If you like to see more, visit my blog, brickshelf or youtube-profile.

Hope you like it.

Greets, laix

Edited by laix

Thats pretty kool. I had been running designs through my mind to make a motorised system - of course I only have 2 pumps haha

Nice design, I have a walker built I just need to build the pump. What about using the new pneumatic pumps.

Nice design, I have a walker built I just need to build the pump. What about using the new pneumatic pumps.

I have 9 "old" pumps in stock and won't spent more money for 8 new ones - not yet :wink:. Their only advantage is the 6L length and I think this design deals with the 1/2L displacement quite well.

Edited by laix

Really nice and compact design! Would be great to power some massive LPE!

What psi can it run up to? I usually run 2 pumps off a RC motor to power my engines but even that can stall at 30-40psi!

What psi can it run up to? I usually run 2 pumps off a RC motor to power my engines but even that can stall at 30-40psi!

Aint sure, I think up to 6 bars?

Whoever designed that must be a genius :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist! Radbot is my brickshelf name. I use (or used to use when I was still making MOCs) this compressor alot. I wanted something that could produce a lot of compressed air for larger MOCs but that was as compact as possible whilst also having as few pumps in their compression phase as possible to increase efficiency. There are always two pumps, and never more than two pumps under full compression at any given time to produce a good, even flow of air and reduce strain/power consumption from the motor. I also wanted something that could double as a fake engine. So that's what I came up with. It looks more like an engine when you run the hoses so they look like exhausts. I find it runs pretty well from an XL motor, popping off re-enforced hose connections at around 50-60 psi (could not keep the hoses on long enough to see what pressure it could actually create), with enough volume as to never be left waiting for powerful movements from up to four large cylinders simultaineously.

Edited by allanp

That's why I wanted only two pumps under full compression at any given time, and also why I would recommend an XL motor or something of similar torque (geared down RC or m-motor) to power it.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to say i'm glad you found it useful laix :classic:

Edited by allanp

I mean his pump, with that many pumps on it, the motor will stall pretty quickly

It is allanp's design and he describes it pretty well. I experienced no problems using the M-motor, because I usually combine it with an Auto-Valve to turn off the pumps if the pressure increases.

It is allanp's design and he describes it pretty well. I experienced no problems using the M-motor, because I usually combine it with an Auto-Valve to turn off the pumps if the pressure increases.

What design do you use for your auto value?

Aint sure, I think up to 6 bars?

The Lego hoses automatically pop off around 45 psi. I've heard that it's best to keep it under 25-30 psi or so to not wear out the seals. The pistons already move super fast at that pressure.

Hello laix will this design work with the 6L pumps?

You have asked a question in a topic which is 4 years old. You are unlikely to get a response from the original poster.

There is no functional difference between the old and new pumps, but you might have to change the geometry to make them fit.