I'm surprised nobody mentioned the collision error between parts 93591 and 93590 (Cars pieces).

It has actually been reported, but not in this topic. I have a vague memory it was mentioned somewhere in the "Official sets in LDD" topic. That's usually where brick bugs like collision errors can be found.

Good find otherwise :classic:

Looks like LDD doesn't handle complex multi-hinged construction very well. I was trying to build a portcullis as LEGO didn't make one big enough, and when I tried to rotate, every part tried to rotate in different direction and the result was a mangled mess.

broken_hinge.jpg

(331x392)

Started out as all flat, one click and 1/2th of a second it bunched up. The green arrow were spinning like crazy. If I place the brick on a baseplate, then try to twist it the first set of arm won't move but other bars still bunches up quickly.

LXF file for your pleasure

Edited by Lego Otaku

That was an odd one Lego Otaku. I played around with your file and after some time I ended up with something that looks like molten plastic :wacko:

Funny thing is that the piece remains like this even after save/open.

post-4755-13401189963504.jpg

EDIT: I found the reason it won't rotate correctly: the innermost cable (56668) is a flex-item, which causes LDD to be really confused. Using one of the other cables in your model will make it work.

But still kind of funny with the syrupy effect :laugh:

That was an odd one Lego Otaku. I played around with your file and after some time I ended up with something that looks like molten plastic :wacko:

Funny thing is that the piece remains like this even after save/open.

*snip*

EDIT: I found the reason it won't rotate correctly: the innermost cable (56668) is a flex-item, which causes LDD to be really confused. Using one of the other cables in your model will make it work.

But still kind of funny with the syrupy effect :laugh:

:laugh: That error/glitch had me laughing.

Not sure if it's a bug, or just a feature of newer minifigures...

I noticed today when I was creating some custom minifigs in LDD, that the "neck" on the standard minifig torsos in LDD (LDD part# 76382) are shorter than the neck on the standard torso (brick #973)

This has the unfortunate side effect of not allowing more than 1 shoulder/back accessory at a time.

The best example I can think of is the 'Pirate' theme Imperial Soldier, they wear epaulettes (brick# 2526) AND a backpack (brick# 2524) around the neck. LDD does not allow this.

Is there a way to redesign the included standard LDD torsos, or add new LDD torsos with the old neck model, and allow multiple neck/back accessories?

Not sure if it's a bug, or just a feature of newer minifigures...

I noticed today when I was creating some custom minifigs in LDD, that the "neck" on the standard minifig torsos in LDD (LDD part# 76382) are shorter than the neck on the standard torso (brick #973)

This has the unfortunate side effect of not allowing more than 1 shoulder/back accessory at a time.

The best example I can think of is the 'Pirate' theme Imperial Soldier, they wear epaulettes (brick# 2526) AND a backpack (brick# 2524) around the neck. LDD does not allow this.

Is there a way to redesign the included standard LDD torsos, or add new LDD torsos with the old neck model, and allow multiple neck/back accessories?

To fit two accessories, you have to use the method with "scafolding" as described here (note the green scafolding equipment). I just tried it and it works. But the result look kind of corny.

EDIT: With some other scafolding equipement though, you should be able to get the head tight onto the backback.

post-4755-13409187994049.jpg

To fit two accessories, you have to use the method with "scafolding" as described here (note the green scafolding equipment). I just tried it and it works. But the result look kind of corny.

EDIT: With some other scafolding equipement though, you should be able to get the head tight onto the backback.

post-4755-13409187994049.jpg

The most precision you can get with any scaffolding equipment (as far as I know) involves less of a scaffold and more of a process. It takes advantage of the minimal difference between the center of the hole on a Technic brick and the center of a stud on a headlight brick by using a 1x1 headlight brick, 1x1 Technic brick, a Technic pin with stud, and a 1x2 plate. The process itself is very fiddly and I can't exactly describe it, but by using this tiny offset I was able to create this LXF which should be free of any overlapping parts or unnecessary gaps.

The most precision of all, of course, would be from editing the placement values of the bricks in a raw LXFML, but to be honest that kind of math makes my head hurt.

The most precision of all, of course, would be from editing the placement values of the bricks in a raw LXFML, but to be honest that kind of math makes my head hurt.

I was just going to edit in the extra accessories when I do my final touches on the more advanced CADs.

Though, I hadn't considered editing the data by hand. If I just edit the placement data, will the new placement make LDD vomit when I try to load it back up, or am I stuck with using the CAD programs once I fine tune that data?

The most precision you can get with any scaffolding equipment (as far as I know) involves less of a scaffold and more of a process. It takes advantage of the minimal difference between the center of the hole on a Technic brick and the center of a stud on a headlight brick by using a 1x1 headlight brick, 1x1 Technic brick, a Technic pin with stud, and a 1x2 plate. The process itself is very fiddly and

I thought more of some technique (which I haven't even tried myself) in which you can put the moveable "scaffolding brick" on a sort of pantograph contraption.

But it might be that it's not a very practical solution.

I was just going to edit in the extra accessories when I do my final touches on the more advanced CADs.

Though, I hadn't considered editing the data by hand. If I just edit the placement data, will the new placement make LDD vomit when I try to load it back up, or am I stuck with using the CAD programs once I fine tune that data?

Worst case: LDD complains of illegal piece placement and deletes them on opening file.

Found something: LDD just quits with no error message if I tried to use rotate tool on a complex project. ie engine with 18 pistons, try rotating the whole shaft. At first it did nothing but when I tried again, it just quit. No prompt to save so I know it's not a normal quit program.

There seems to be a problem with part 4861; in a small model from set 4099 it is impossible place the highlighted plate 3020 correctly, as if there were no room for a plate or even for an unstudded tile under the central section of 4861.

The same is not happening for example with part 48933 which has similar connections.

This kind of assembly does not seem to be illegal in real life, even though I have encountered it only in this set until now.

screenshot008.jpg

screenshot009.jpg

I attach the LXF to let you have your checks.

LXF

There seems to be a problem with part 4861; in a small model from set 4099 it is impossible place the highlighted plate 3020 correctly, as if there were no room for a plate or even for an unstudded tile under the central section of 4861.

The same is not happening for example with part 48933 which has similar connections.

This kind of assembly does not seem to be illegal in real life, even though I have encountered it only in this set until now.

I attach the LXF to let you have your checks.

LXF

Great find! It definitely seems to be a collision error.

I wanted to build a tree like this: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53197&view=findpost&p=1314516

But LDD doesn't allow log brick to get rotated, as if it has the same dimension of a standard 1x2 bricks. Perhaps a bit of collision? Perhaps someone at LEGO can check in the data and see if the collision boundary matches the actual shape of the log brick or not. It's also possible that it's illegal.

This post is slightly off-topic but still related. I find myself wanting to post about bugs that might just be "illegal connections". I could avoid unnecessary questions if there was a document that codifies the Laws of LEGO Attachment, especially if it had examples with part references. Is there such a thing?

Here's an example that is probably an illegal connection. In real life, I created a circle out of #3063 Macaroni and then placed another circle on top of it, rotated 45 degrees.

In this image you cannot place the circle on the right on top of the circle on the left without LDD rotating it back to match. You also can't place the yellow macaroni on the green plate in that orientation (although it works in real life).

LDDScreenShot11.png

The same issue occurs in LDD with the newer #85080 Macaroni, but I couldn't test it in real life.

Edited by iceleftd

Two bricks 47458 cannot be placed next to each other with the "flared" sections meeting. This is possible IRL, and is not an illegal connection as there is a very visible gap left between the two pieces.

47458_error.jpg

Good find. Reported to LEGO.

I wanted to build a tree like this: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53197&view=findpost&p=1314516

But LDD doesn't allow log brick to get rotated, as if it has the same dimension of a standard 1x2 bricks. Perhaps a bit of collision? Perhaps someone at LEGO can check in the data and see if the collision boundary matches the actual shape of the log brick or not. It's also possible that it's illegal.

The brick is most likely modeled as a square block, and not with the "waist", so it needs to be remodeled. Good find. Reported to the guys at TLG.

This post is slightly off-topic but still related. I find myself wanting to post about bugs that might just be "illegal connections". I could avoid unnecessary questions if there was a document that codifies the Laws of LEGO Attachment, especially if it had examples with part references. Is there such a thing?

Here's an example that is probably an illegal connection. In real life, I created a circle out of #3063 Macaroni and then placed another circle on top of it, rotated 45 degrees.

In this image you cannot place the circle on the right on top of the circle on the left without LDD rotating it back to match. You also can't place the yellow macaroni on the green plate in that orientation (although it works in real life).

LDDScreenShot11.png

The same issue occurs in LDD with the newer #85080 Macaroni, but I couldn't test it in real life.

You can make the old 3063 macaroni-bricks fit at a 45 degree rotated angle with a bit of tweaking. There are instructions here on the forum (can't remember where right now though...try to search for macaroni). The new one will not work however, either in LDD or in real life.

Two bricks 47458 cannot be placed next to each other with the "flared" sections meeting. This is possible IRL, and is not an illegal connection as there is a very visible gap left between the two pieces.

47458_error.jpg

Good find. Reported.

lddglitchcowboyhat1.png

The cowboy hat seems to fit too high on a minifigure head; in reality the hat sits a bit lower, covering all of the 'top curve' of the head.

It's a known bug. I don't know why the LDD team does not fix it, since it's so obviously wrong.

Not a bug but a nitpick. LEGO released new colors with this year's sets including olive green for dinosaur models and 3x4 leaf element. New colors are not in LDD at this time. (new parts aren't there either :hmpf_bad:)

I was building a model and decided to turn the head on the minifigure. I began using the hinge tool and suddenly the model disappeared. Assuming I accidentally deleted it, I clicked undo. For whatever reason only the minifig's helmet and visor remained. I then clicked undo once more and the helmet disappeared and was replaced by two minifigure arms. Only the arms! And then it crashed without any error message.

I completely rebuilt the MOC (It was kinda small) through memory and I can't replicate the action so unfortunately I have no image or LXF.