Likely due to creating an overall group, with the roof and the store as sub groups.

From what I understand, groups do not influence the generation of building instructions (they are not even concidered), so there must be some other subtle difference between your files. But I may be wrong.

I just removed the groups from your file Zinfinion, and then the generated instructions are the same as in ADHO15's file (i.e. not so good).

So then I went into ADHO15's file and grouped the roof. The generated instructions suddenly was better (i.e. they started with the floor of the building). So then I removed the group, saved the file, and reopened.

Now suddenly the genereated instructions are genereated the "good" way, even though the groups are gone. *huh*

Strange.

I read the whole thread and haven't found my problem. Has anyone else problems with the 9M Beam, which is only available in a strange looking red?

9M+Beam.JPG

I read the whole thread and haven't found my problem. Has anyone else problems with the 9M Beam, which is only available in a strange looking red?

Laix are you in 'LDD' mode?If you chage to 'Extended Mode' you will be able to select different colors of the '9' liftarm.

Mine shows up as a dark red in 'LDD' mode.

th_LDDScreenShot57.png

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Thanks for your help, I added the Extended Mode long time ago, but I wasn't aware that you can choose to work in a "downgraded" version after that. Now it works :thumbup:

As far as I can tell, no one has mentioned this yet.

When working with panels, the Panel 2 x 6 x 6 Log Wall (Palisade) won't allow anything with studs underneath the lip. It works with Panel 2 x 5 x 6 Wall, but not the other. When I use LDD to plan a build that requires an underside lip connection I'm forced to use Palisade bricks and plates as a substitution.

It looks like the lip of the palisade is slightly thicker then the other. If you put them next to each other (in LDD), you can see the slight difference. I don't know if the palisade wall is correctly modelled in LDD, but if it is, I can understand why it won't fit.

Do you have the palisade wall as a physcial brick to check with?

I'm not sure if this is the right topic, but...

I'm still using LDD 4.1.7, I decided not to upgrade right away in hopes of avoiding the major bugs. Now that most of them seem to have been found (and most of them are minor for casual builders like me), do you think it would be worthwhile to upgrade? Are the new parts worth the new bugs? And for that matter, were any parts removed?

Part #30047 (BOWSPRIT 11 2/3 M) won't accept lightsaber-sized pieces into its upper hole.

30047.jpg

@ Flipz: Yes, you should upgrade to Lego Digital Designer 4.2.5 now. Here is a list of the improvements (and new LDD parts), here is a LDD file containing the pictures of those new parts, and here is a LDD file containing pictures of the bug fixes. :classic:

Part #30047 (BOWSPRIT 11 2/3 M) won't accept lightsaber-sized pieces into its upper hole.

Are you sure? I remember that bug beeing fixed (don't have LDD here to test).

Are you sure? I remember that bug beeing fixed (don't have LDD here to test).

I just checked. you can attach the end of a lightsword blade to either side that hole (as if it were a hollow stud on each side), but you can't place one going through it in the way you should be able to. So yep, there is still a bug there.

LDD seems to allow blatantly illegal and impossible build.

illegal.jpg

Even builds instruction on how to put it together but it can't be done in RL because all the parts are not flexible and there's no way to get 2L pins in between 2 blocks like that.

Not sure how it can be fixed.

Here's something- part 3741, the flower stem piece, appears to be able to connect to 2 studs positioned above the ground in a way that it can't in reality- there's no solid connection and because of that the piece would just fall.

lddglitch1_copy.png

Here's something- part 3741, the flower stem piece, appears to be able to connect to 2 studs positioned above the ground in a way that it can't in reality- there's no solid connection and because of that the piece would just fall.

Many 1x1 round brick and plate does that. I've had single 1x1 round plate "connect" to the top lip of another 1x1 round plate, which can't be done in RL except in zero G :hmpf_bad:

Edited: removed image in quote I forgot not to quote images :blush:

Edited by Lego Otaku

LDD seems to allow blatantly illegal and impossible build.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Lego-0taku/misc/illegal.jpg

Even builds instruction on how to put it together but it can't be done in RL because all the parts are not flexible and there's no way to get 2L pins in between 2 blocks like that.

Not sure how it can be fixed.

This is because LDD can't detect in which way a brick got to a place, only if it will fit once in place.

Similar to what you reported, there is another case in which LDD will allow you to take apart assemblies that actully can't be taken apart if it was made with physical bricks. Hm....come to think of it, why not make this a little geeky challenge: Create such small assembly and post a screenshot here :classic:

Similar to what you reported, there is another case in which LDD will allow you to take apart assemblies that actully can't be taken apart if it was made with physical bricks. Hm....come to think of it, why not make this a little geeky challenge: Create such small assembly and post a screenshot here :classic:

Easier to come up with impossible to assemble than disassemble version but here's probably the smallest of the assembly that can't be taken apart without damaging the part.

impossible.jpg

file: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Lego-0taku/misc/impossible.lxf

...Do you know any more?

I don't know if someone hasn't posted this, but...

The 87083 "Cross Axle 4M with end stop" and 55013 "Cross Axle 8m with end stop" fits into 2444 "Technic Bearing Plate 2x2" which is impossible to do in real life.

impossible.th.png

If I have to be honest and it's my opinion, these illegal connects doesn't need to be fixed. At least for me and (maybe) people who make their projects only in LDD. It's good for those who would like to rebuild it into real life and because they can't do something like picture above, they doesn't need to solve problems like "how do I rebuild it/replace it".

And a small bug: connecting the 98138 "Flat Tile 1x1, Round" to side "pin" on 4081 "Lamp Holder" create a small space which you can see through.

invisibles.th.png

(click on the thumbnail for full size, it's better to see it)

Edited by kamos

You got it. :classic:

That was exactly the case I was thinking about too (and the only one I know).

Do you know any more?

This one shows another: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=3931

and I made it based on that:

File: download

Seems technic part makes for impossible builds

Edited by Calabar
Oversized image converted in text link (maximum size allowed is 800x600)

About the impossible RL builds. It's not a bug. LDD doesn't really check that as it would be really hard to do (and take lots more processing power...). Everyone that uses LDD for planning knows exactly what's possible to build in real life and what not.

With things like gears sometimes the teeth can go inside of what would be solid surfaces.

The 32187 Middle Ring (or Technic Driving Ring Extension as it is called on BL) doesn't connect to anything it ought to connect to. In reality you can snap it to a regular stud or put it on a pin. Best I've been able to do in LDD is put a cross-axle through it to maneuver it into place, but that doesn't always work either.

@ Graysmith: The 32187 "Technic Driving Ring Extension" part CAN fit onto the concave end of the 6542 "Technic, Gear 16 Tooth with Clutch" -- I just did it in LDD. You have to place a common axle through both of them and ROTATE the Driving Ring Extension so that it fits past the four "nubs" on the inside surface of the gear.

I found it easier to place the gear FLAT on the LDD baseplate (so that the concave surface is facing upwards), inserting an axle through the hole, sliding the Driving Ring Extension (male side downwards) over the axle, then using the LDD Rotation Tool to ROTATE the Driving Ring Extension so that it can fit inside the gear's "hub". This is the assembly:

6542.gif32187.gif3706.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Every time I put a 1x1 brick with studs on side (1 stud, 2 stud, and 4 stud) into a 1x1 brick with technic hole (which it allowes me to do) but then try to move them, LDD crashes on me. Which is unfortunate because I need to do this quite often!

EDIT: oops, someone beat me to it on page 5, but only mentioned the 4 studs one.

Edited by davidzq