Sign in to follow this  
redcodekevin

An anecdote of luck and elves

The first Series 3 elf that I got was through Bricklink. I said to myself, "minifigures in Costa Rica? Nah, they'll never bring those" so I bought a single elf, opened it, protected it against all evil and admired it. It's definitely my favorite figure of all series so far.

A Few months later, I find a single series 3 Snowboarder in the nearest store of the only Lego impoter of the country. I immediately asked if they planned on bringing more, and they said that the sales were so quick that they'd definitely bring more. A week later I managed to get around 5 more elves. I was thrilled beyond recongition, since I never even believed they would reach the country.

A couple weeks later they brought Series 4, which I also bought the crap out of, and I could only see Series 3 in some stores that specialize in collectibles. All of them overpriced of course (althought, $5 for an elf still beats the bricklink price). By around last week, my grand elven army consisted of 13 elves (and a sealed one) that I was mighty proud of.

Then last Thursday (Jan. 12) I went to the nearest store looking for Series 6, and lo and behold, orange boxes! Wait, green boxes too?? Me and my girlfriend immediately rummaged through a half-picked box and found no elves at all. An employee was sorting through a newly opened box, and let us know that the store (called Universal from now on) decided to bring back series 3 and 4 for the people that never got the chance to finish their collection. She also gave us 3 elves that she had already sorted. For $3 bucks each!

Next Saturday (Jan.14, 2012) I planned a crusade to the main Universal store in the capital city. There was only one box and only one elf could be found. Really disappointing taking into consideration that during December this same store had at least 12 Series 5 boxes opened at the same time. I then took a bus to the Universal store in the west of the city (the one I had the least faith on) and this is what I found:

series3boxesresized.jpg

(sorry for the blurryness of the pic, they don't really let you take pics on that store "for security reasons" so I had to do it quickly )

You're looking at 20 boxes of Series 3 minifigs, most of them unsearched. So, I felt and still feel kinda lucky.

We looked at the security guy, and asked him if there was any problem with each of us grabbing a box and searching through them while sitting in those kids' lego playing tables. He said none at all. We literally searched until we were too tired (and finger-ached) to go on, my girlfriend going through at least 10 boxes, while I went through around 7 (she's pretty quick). Here's what we came home with:

series3packsresized.jpg

That's 39 elves, a snowboarder and a Sumo wrestler. I paid a few bucks below $140 for all of them. Not too bad for a supposedly out-of-production series.

So my elven army is now 57 strong. I feel really good about it and just wanted to brag about my luck with you guys. Let me know what you think about it.

I will update the post once the full army is unpacked and (heheh) assembled.

tl;dr: that last pic? it's all elves at retail price. In 2012.

Le hannon a tholel, garo arad vaer.

57 elves is amazing! I have one. :)

Today me and my friend found series six at a local store for 3 bucks a piece.

We searched through 4 unopened boxes and came up with this.

Minataurs:12

Warriors:16

Roman Soilder:1

It was a pretty good day and I am glad to have the new parts. I can't wait to see the full army!

Edited by K.Kreations

59 elves is amazing! I have one. :)

Today me and my friend found series six at a local store for 3 bucks a piece.

We searched through 4 unopened boxes and came up with this.

Minataurs:12

Warriors:16

Roman Soilder:1

It was a pretty good day and I am glad to have the new parts. I can't wait to see the full army!

That is ridiculous! I came in to CMFs at the end of series 4, so I missed out on all of those. I do have 5 elves though, all through Bricklink or ebay. I don't plan on buying any more since Lord of the Rings will have elves in them.

That is an awesome find though. A huge Elf army will be a sight to see!

That's really a lucky find! :sweet: I wish I could find series 3, I would like to get more mummies, elves, and gorillas.

what can I say, thanks for the tip :sweet:, but thanks for not let me any elf :angry:

nice army you got... just to wait LoR

This may seem a "noobish" question, but how can you tell which minifig is in the package? Do you simply squeeze, rub and feel for some defining shape, or is there some kind of indicator on the exterior?

This may seem a "noobish" question, but how can you tell which minifig is in the package? Do you simply squeeze, rub and feel for some defining shape, or is there some kind of indicator on the exterior?

There is supposed to be a punch dot code in the exterior, but honestly it is much more effective and quick to just touch and feel. In the elf case, the bow or the shield are equally a dead-on indicator; no other figure in that series has anything even remotely similar (except arguably the fisherman, whose fishing rod can sometimes be confused with the bow, depending on the position). If you find a bow you're set with an elf. Most other figures have a piece that is easily distinguishable; in series 4 the geisha is very easy to spot (because of the slope that forms her dress) as is the Crazy scientist (because of the bottle).

All you have to do is study the complete series before heading to the store, this way you should be able to determine what you are holding whenever you feel a bag.

Edited by redcodekevin

There is supposed to be a punch dot code in the exterior, but honestly it is much more effective and quick to just touch and feel. In the elf case, the bow or the shield are equally a dead-on indicator; no other figure in that series has anything even remotely similar (except arguably the fisherman, whose fishing rod can sometimes be confused with the bow, depending on the position). If you find a bow you're set with an elf. Most other figures have a piece that is easily distinguishable; in series 4 the geisha is very easy to spot (because of the slope that forms her dress) as is the Crazy scientist (because of the bottle).

All you have to do is study the complete series before heading to the store, this way you should be able to determine what you are holding whenever you feel a bag.

Yeah, okay I thought this was the case. Thanks.