Sign in to follow this  
chorlton

Forum Idea

As I'm reading posts I find that some people (DLuders, thank you) usually post links to bricklink whenever they reference a set number. I try to do this myself but it's extra work. As I don't (yet) have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every technical set number it can be a pain going off to bricklink to look it up manually.

Would it be possible to have the forum board software automatically recognise 3 or 4 digit numbers as set references and create links to bricklink automatically? The occasional false positive when a number doesn't refer to a set would, in my view, be worth the convenience.

I know it's technically possible but would be dependent upon what software the board uses (IP.Board) and whether it provides some form of plugin framework. If people think this would be useful, could it be highlighted to The Management for consideration?

The suggestion isn't technic specific so if a moderator feels this would be better moved to another area, please feel free.

( And as soon as I hit "post" I think about the number of times we mention the number of pieces a set has which would give false positives. Maybe not auto then, but custom tags so [bl]851[/bl] for example creates a bricklink reference? )

Edited by chorlton

@ chorlton: I like the idea. I'm sure that Siegfried will relay your proposal to the Eurobricks staff, who may move the topic to another Eurobricks forum for consideration (since it will affect ALL THEMES). Sometimes, hyperlinking to Bricklink is not the best -- Brickset and Peeron are also useful to link to certain things. Brickset has links to PDF Building Instructions & Set Reviews, and Peeron often has links to LDRAW .DAT files.

Yes, providing hyperlinks to Bricklink, Brickset, and Peeron is a bit time-consuming, but newcomers don't always recognize set numbers. Do they automatically know what the 8448 set is, without checking the Brickset pictures and description for example?

Actually I'm planning on doing thing... I just haven't got around to it. (It's on the stack! :laugh: ) I wouldn't link to Bricklink direct though, I'd link to the set index which has link to most major sites. Also, it wouldn't be automatic, it'd be an extension of the existing one as it'd be really annoying otherwise.

Mobile Crane

Unimog

[sdex]8421[/sdex]

[sdex]Mobile Crane[/sdex]

[sdex]Unimog[/sdex]

We are working on having a locally hosted copy of all set images too, for example...

8110mn.jpg8110tn.jpg

who may move the topic to another Eurobricks forum for consideration (since it will affect ALL THEMES).

:laugh: Yeah, I'll do that a bit later.

This has bothered me as well. Especially topics about which set is better can be become quite a pain to keep looking up the set numbers.

A couple of months ago I created a tool to address this annoyance. It grabs the image from Bricklink and displays it at the mouse position when you hover over a 4 digit number. It uses Greasemonkey which is an extension for Firefox. With some modifications it should also work in Chrome.

The trouble with a board plugin might be that Bricklink does not want to host images used on Eurobricks.

@ chorlton: I like the idea. I'm sure that Siegfried will relay your proposal to the Eurobricks staff, who may move the topic to another Eurobricks forum for consideration (since it will affect ALL THEMES). Sometimes, hyperlinking to Bricklink is not the best -- Brickset and Peeron are also useful to link to certain things. Brickset has links to PDF Building Instructions & Set Reviews, and Peeron often has links to LDRAW .DAT files.

Yes, providing hyperlinks to Bricklink, Brickset, and Peeron is a bit time-consuming, but newcomers don't always recognize set numbers. Do they automatically know what the 8448 set is, without checking the Brickset pictures and description for example?

Bricklink was just a suggestion as you used it earlier today which reminded me "oh, i was going to suggest that". I wasn't thinking about needing links to build instructions or LDraw files necessarily, just the easiest way to find out which set is being discussed. Basbase's example of a thread comparing multiple sets is exactly the use-case I'm thinking of. Locally hosted image-on-hover would be ideal but I guess a link to more info would be nice-to-have.

Thanks all.

Hey fellow FOL's!

I just had this great idea that I think would be a cool feature! I'm not sure if it's even possible, but is it possible for the forum itself to automatically "sense" LEGO Set Numbers and create links to their respective Brickset page?

I think this would be really helpful for new members of the LEGO community, or even if you can't remember that set.

Just a thought.

jojoguy10

You're not the first. :wink:

Merged! Thanks Rick :sweet:

--------

I can see a problem with this idea: a review of a set which has, say, 928 parts will produce confusing links.