Hey all,

I thought I would post up my project that I've been working on for the past few months. I'm happy enough with my progress, and I feel like I have built enough to warrant a WIP thread. This moc is based on the John Deere 1910e Forwarder:

1910e_lg.jpg

Planned functions:

Drive

Steer

Gearbox selector

Boom Slew

Boom up/down

Jib up/down

Jib extention

Grapple open/close

Grapple rotate

Front dozer blade

Front retractable ladder

Rotating cab (synchronized with boom slew and gearbox selector--more on that below)

Fake I6 engine with fan

A few LED lights

On to the photos!

The next picture shows part of the chassis up to this point. At this point, I still have 2 m motors and a XL motor to add to the back of the chassis. Below the engine on the front, I still have to add a pressure regulator, m motor, and pneumatic valve. The chassis still needs to have most of the bracing put in place, and I still have some work to do on the 6 output gearbox. The turntables on the sides will be part of the bogie housing and will house the planetary gear sets. You can also see the turntables for the boom and cab. Sorry about the horrible picture:

IMG_3716.jpg?t=1326655469

The 6 output gearbox and pneumatic valves. There are clutch gears further back (out of the picture) that keep the motors from stalling once the valves hit their limits. The left side of the gearbox controls 2 pneumatic valves, the right side of the gearbox controls 2 more pneumatic valves, and the center part of the gearbox controls the steering and boom slew.

IMG_3718.jpg?t=1326655378

The newer John Deere forwarders have a cab that rotates with the boom slew. This was a key feature I wanted in this build, but I also wanted the cab to rotate when my gearbox is switched between drive mode and logging mode. The differential lets me combine inputs from the boom slew motor and the gearbox switch motor. The output then goes down and through the center joint and to the cab rotation. When the boom slews, the cab rotates at a slightly lower speed, allowing the operator to always look at where the grapple is, without turning his/her neck. When I switch the gearbox mode, the cab swings 180 degrees from forward facing (drive mode) to rear facing (logging mode). Getting the gear ratios just right for this was very challenging, and to be honest, I almost abandoned the project. I think I have it figured out, but we'll see.

IMG_3719.jpg?t=1326655328

IMG_3717.jpg?t=1326655431

Below is one of the four bogie housings. Each housing is pendular, has portal hubs, and has a planetary gear set.

IMG_3721.jpg?t=1326655207

I used a diagram from the real 1910e bogie housing as a reference. The gear ratios are pretty close, with the exception of the center drive gear.

0000537375____________A1.gif

I've got a long ways yet to go on this project. I've got a couple other project I'm working on as well, so progress will probably be a bit slow. :laugh:

Thanks,

Daniel

Edited by dhc6twinotter

OK, my next one won´t be a forwarder... john deere... may be caterpillar again :laugh: . Good work but it looks too heavy, beware with the weight you can be in trouble.

Gee, Daniel, it looks great! :thumbup: It looks true to the original so far. Do you have to use some of the parts from your big Lego Technic Backhoe to complete it?

Thanks guys!

OK, my next one won´t be a forwarder... john deere... may be caterpillar again :laugh: . Good work but it looks too heavy, beware with the weight you can be in trouble.

Weight is a concern, but I think I'll be ok. It isn't as heavy as my JCB backhoe, but I still have 5 m-motors and an XL-motor to add. The chassis is long, but not very wide or tall. This is my 4th moc since I've gotten back into Technic, so I'm still learning what the weight limits are, etc.

Oh i remembered lego do not make many green panels,so will it be green?:blush:

Yes, it will be green. There isn't too much green really though; just the cab, hood, and the little box thing behind the cab. It will be a challenge, and I've been ordering random green parts in my last few bricklink orders. it gives me a whole new respect for that completely green John Deere tractor somebody built a while ago. :wacko:

My biggest concern is the pneumatics. I have 4 compressors in the chassis, but I hope that will be enough to lift my boom. The boom will have 2 m motors, plus the telescopic jib. I haven't started on the boom yet, and I'm not familiar enough with pneumatics to know what their load limits are. I think I should be fine, but this project still has a chance of being a failure. :grin:

Gee, Daniel, it looks great! :thumbup: It looks true to the original so far. Do you have to use some of the parts from your big Lego Technic Backhoe to complete it?

I need to order more 16t gears. I still have my backhoe built, and between these two models, I've used almost all of my 16t and 16t clutch gears. I also need two more tires from 8297 if I plan on keeping both mocs built for the next few shows. The backhoe will probably be taken apart in the next few months though, but that is kinda dependent on what happens with my job contract (if I start a new job search, lego time will suffer).

Edited by dhc6twinotter

My harvester has just two pumps in it,but thay are stepped the whole thing is geared up by a 24t to a 8t,i have still not tested it out though........:laugh:.

Oh and just to put a spanner in the works the boom also has sideshift i think.(looking at your picture above)

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

My harvester has just two pumps in it,but thay are stepped the whole thing is geared up by a 24t to a 8t,i have still not tested it out though........:laugh:.

Oh and just to put a spanner in the works the boom also has sideshift i think.(looking at your picture above)

What is "sideshift"? Google didn't turn up anything, other than sideshifts on forklifts.

[EDIT]: Ok, I did find some machines with sideshifts, mostly backhoes. I haven't seen any forwarders with it, and none of my John Deere research has mentioned it. I don't think this has sideshift, but I may have overlooked something.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

It's commonly found on backhoe's, but it can be found on other things as well like as you say forklifts,there is to rams under the main boom of the loader that will make the arm go to side to side.

Edit: sorry to put yet another spanner in the works (i am not really loving it :laugh:)but there is also rams in the back to open and close the arms in the back of the forwarder.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

OK, thanks. I just edited my previous post as you were posting yours. I've seen this on backhoes and forklifts before, but wasn't sure what it was called. I even drove a forklift once that had it. :grin:

Edited by dhc6twinotter

OK, thanks. I just edited my previous post as you were posting yours. I've seen this on backhoes and forklifts before, but wasn't sure what it was called. I even drove a forklift once that had it. :grin:

So have i,i once made both forks fall of simultaneously (sorry for the big word),but that is for another time.:blush:

Yes your loader does have slide shift and also has working claws at the back.

th_1910e_lg.jpg

(Clickable image)

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Wow that moc is very good even it is not finished yet. You have a whole lot of functions on that thing, hope they all work very well. Cant wait to see it when it's done.

So have i,i once made both forks fall of simultaneously (sorry for the big word),but that is for another time.:blush:

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x248/Terexdemag/?action=view&current=1910e_lg.jpg

Need to say that those on picture are cylinder heads which are used to turn the whole boom. There is gear racks inside those cylinders which turns the boom.

Need to say that those on picture are cylinder heads which are used to turn the whole boom. There is gear racks inside those cylinders which turns the boom.

Oh that will be just like on the truck mounted cranes.

th_1910e_lg.jpg

(Clickable image)

There are several different load bunk options available. The bunk in the picture is not the one I'll be building. I'm not sure what is circled in your picture, but those load bunks are a solid piece at the bottom. In the model pictured, the stakes have small hydraulic cylinders that swing them in a horizontal arc to give a wider load space. There is also an option that has 4 smaller bunks with hydraulic telescopic stakes that offer varying load widths. The third option has 4 bunks with non-adjustable stakes. This is the simplest design, and the design I will be using.

Wow that moc is very good even it is not finished yet. You have a whole lot of functions on that thing, hope they all work very well. Cant wait to see it when it's done.

Thanks! I hope all the functions work well too. I'm not really a fan of the jerky movements that pneumatics usually have, but we'll see how bad it is. I'm not completely satisfied with the boom slew/cab rotate synchronization, and I think it may need a bit more work. I think I want to build the boom first, then test everything with the weight of the boom on the turntable. It would make a difference, but I'm not sure if it would be better or worse. :laugh:

Here is a picture of the boom slew mechanism on the real model:

1910_skew_cyl.JPG

Edited by dhc6twinotter

For a man of your talent it should be easy enough to make a pneumatic slew,it might be possible to make it work along with the cab,but i realize you are using motors for this which is easier way to do this.:grin:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

For a man of your talent it should be easy enough to make a pneumatic slew.:grin:

You should look at the pneumatic slew on the 8868, which was very good for its time. Although a gear driven slew will be more accurate.

dhc6twinotter, you are very brave tackling that model. I would love to see the rotating cab working in sync with the grab.

You should look at the pneumatic slew on the 8868, which was very good for its time. Although a gear driven slew will be more accurate.

dhc6twinotter, you are very brave tackling that model. I would love to see the rotating cab working in sync with the grab.

I don't think it would be to hard to make this model work by the sounds of it it's mostly pneumatics once you get the drive and the steering the rest should be easy,as long as you do some tests in the out put of the compressor.

I won't be using a pneumatic slew mechanism. Getting it to work with the synchronized cab rotation really isn't the problem. The problem would be my lack of space. For a pneumatic slew, I would have to add another pneumatic valve, pneumatic cylinders, and the associated clutch and gearing. I don't have the space, and I would prefer the more precise geared system over the coolness factor of pneumatics anyways (sorry allanp). :grin:

Paul, not sure if you remember our conversation about how exact we are in our builds, but ever since that conversation, I have been making a conscious effort to make sure all my bushings are placed with the slots facing the same way. I also try to align them with the slots on axle connectors too. Just thought I'd mention I remembered that conversation. :grin:

I think this model will be even more epic than your last! Keep the progress coming!

tim

Maybe! My backhoe was much more complicated and used a ton more gears though. The downside to that project was that all the mechanical stuff was buried in the chassis, and nobody could really see what was going on. This project probably has half the parts, and most of the mechanical stuff will be easily seen. I'll take some pictures of my backhoe when I decide to disassemble it so you all can get a look at the internal workings.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

What is "sideshift"? Google didn't turn up anything, other than sideshifts on forklifts.

[EDIT]: Ok, I did find some machines with sideshifts, mostly backhoes. I haven't seen any forwarders with it, and none of my John Deere research has mentioned it. I don't think this has sideshift, but I may have overlooked something.

There is no sideshifts for the boom in the harvester, because it is not needed by the way that boom moves and is used. The boom only rotates from down there.

"sorry allanp" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well it looks like an absolutely fantastic project. This is one of those projects that temps me back into making MOCs but I must be tenatious and finish this album first! :wacko:

"sorry allanp" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well it looks like an absolutely fantastic project. This is one of those projects that temps me back into making MOCs but I must be tenatious and finish this album first! :wacko:

Is this why you have not spoken to me? :blush: