Sign in to follow this  
Aredhel

WIP-preview - the Islanders!

Hi guys,

I will present you my first Pirate MOC-WIP. This will be continued as fast as possible!

I hope you like it!

-Aredhel

This is a truly glorious day!

Exactly what is it supposed to be though? It looks like a gigantic idol made from wood. But its got a pretty blue parrot!

If it's an idol, than why does it have a ladder? Methinks it is an Islander watchtower to alert the village to attacks from the Pirates that have come here for buried treasure! Arg!

BTW, I really like it, Aredhel! Great for your first Pirate MOC! *y*

yes, this islanders have broken through the monotony of ship-after-ship ( :-| ) in the pirate MOC forum !!!

this is very visually stimulating... like the colors.

and yes, i see that this is a watchtower, but i can't help but see a moai resemblance towards the top, but im not quite sure. i think it definitely needs to be a moai... i mean, creating faces out of LEGOs (especially chiseled ones) is a lot of fun, and i think that is the draw to why the islanders are such a great theme.

however, if it is a moai, then why is it made from wood... that makes it more of a totem poll :-D

in any case, im anxious to see where this goes...

- BrickMiner

I first wanted to create a totem the islanders worship, but then I did not really know how to create this big "wood-figure" and so I decided to make a lookout tower.

We'll see how it will go on ;-)

-Aredhel

This is a progressively evolving MOC then. I don't see why it couldn't be a combination of a totem and a lookout tower, after all there Forbidden Cove seems to have been exactly that...

6264-1.jpg

I first wanted to create a totem the islanders worship
oh, well, actually i was trying to make a joke. see, i don't know if islanders had totem polls (if you were trying to be historically correct that is), only native americans.

the islanders (as LEGO saw them) were based on south pacific islanders... and only carved faces out of rocks (caled moai).

well, that is what i have always believed anyway, but i could be mistaken ;-)

- BrickMiner

You sound quite spot on Brick Miner, although The LEGO Company never officially stated who the Indigo Islanders were based on.

However, I don't think Miss Aredhel meant "totem" as in "totem pole" like in native American cultures. One of the broader definitions of totem is "a representation of such an object serving as the distinctive mark of the clan or group." So its not strictly limited to being a native American concept, although that's where the word originated from.

Perhaps the most famous Pacific Island "Totems" would be these...

moai.jpg

Indeed it is, 2 Islander MOCs in one hour!

Islanders are a nice change in the Pirate MOC forum, (however I still don't understand what is wrong with ships) the tower looks nice, but where exactly is the lookout spot?? Only one pic you gave us and that is one out of the sky, so I don't have a clear view...

Very inspiring, maybe I'll make a islander MOC soon!

I like the concept and the ladder. Foliage sticking out instead of down would add a lot to this MOC. Well done!

God Bless,

Nathan

Indeed it is, 2 Islander MOCs in one hour!

Islanders are a nice change in the Pirate MOC forum, (however I still don't understand what is wrong with ships)

There is nothing wrong with ships, its just that there are so many of them and like you said Islanders are a nice change in the Pirate MOC forum.

Islanders were the least popular Pirate sub-theme and I don't think they sold very well at all, however I could be wrong since Enchanted Island was re-released 6 years after it was discontinued. Unless The LEGO Company just repackaged old stock that never sold for the re-releases .

I was going to post an Islander MOC I made about 2 months ago, but I think I'll wait now...

I was going to post an Islander MOC I made about 2 months ago, but I think I'll wait now...

Wait for what??

What for these two MOCs to run their course. We don't want too many Islander MOCs all at once otherwise users will get sick of them quickly and avoid Islander MOC threads.

We don't want that do we?

Island "Totems" would be these...

There called moai, and here's some neat LEGO renditions;

moai.jpg

moai03.jpg

;-)

Those are both brilliant! Great find!

God Bless,

Nathan

You sound quite spot on Brick Miner, although The LEGO Company never officially stated who the Indigo Islanders were based on.

However, I don't think Miss Aredhel meant "totem" as in "totem pole" like in native American cultures. One of the broader definitions of totem is "a representation of such an object serving as the distinctive mark of the clan or group." So its not strictly limited to being a native American concept, although that's where the word originated from.

yes, but what i meant was that south pacific islanders didn't carve there totems out of wood, they used stone.

this watchtower is wooden, so that makes it more of a native american totem :-P (if there is infact a face in the structure, again, it could just be me ;-) )

- BrickMiner

There called moai, and here's some neat LEGO renditions;

Yes, we'd already established that, but good work on providing these images Mr Oo7!

however I still don't understand what is wrong with ships
get this... pirates are one of my favorite themes, yet i don't really care for ships all too much...

another reason, i have been absent from the pirate forum ;-)

ship, ship, ship, ship :-|

so, when can we expect an update Aredhel ???

- BrickMiner

get this... pirates are one of my favorite themes, yet i don't really care for ships all too much...

another reason, i have been absent from the pirate forum ;-)

ship, ship, ship, ship :-|

so, when can we expect an update Aredhel ???

- BrickMiner

I only can go on building when I have time at the weekends. I am building this with Apo's Lego because I do not have that much (another reason why we both posted an islander theme that evening ;-)).

So, it might take some time to go on and I do not know how long it will take to get really ready.

Islanders are a nice change in the Pirate MOC forum, (however I still don't understand what is wrong with ships) the tower looks nice, but where exactly is the lookout spot?? Only one pic you gave us and that is one out of the sky, so I don't have a clear view...

Very inspiring, maybe I'll make a islander MOC soon!

The lookout is through the palm leaves you can see on the right side where the rose-coloured parrot sits!

The islanders should not be seen at once. We'll see how it will go on ;-)!

-Aredhel

What a neat MOC in Progress Aredhel ;-)

Its good to see you venture out of HP :-D :-P

So are you going to have peacefull islanders or cannibals eating pirates X-D (Cannibal Holocaust Style !!)

Anyhow, I can't wait to see progress on this truly promissing MOC ;-)

*yoda*

Hey again!!! Just wanted to show you my on-going WIP!

The last time I had a little time to go on building. Here a few photos.

First an overall view of the project... (its not a very good photo quality; I am sorry for that :-$ )

I built a temple for the chief of the Islanders. He sits there on his throne with his wife and guards.

The next photo shows one thing which should be the end of a scene I am going to make:

The pirates captain is tought up by one of the guards, and a part of the crew hangs at the backside of the temple, dead of course.... :-D

Hope you like it!!!

-Aredhel

I like it VERY much Aredhel!

Its nice to build a MOC based on a story (crew captured by islanders) and islander are excelent for making stories...

This is turning out to be a rather big MOC. Do you plan to add some more buildings inside the fence?

The pirates captain is tought up by one of the guards, and a part of the crew hangs at the backside of the temple, dead of course.... :-D

Strange humor you have :-D

I like it VERY much Aredhel!

Its nice to build a MOC based on a story (crew captured by islanders) and islander are excelent for making stories...

This is turning out to be a rather big MOC. Do you plan to add some more buildings inside the fence?

Strange humor you have :-D

My plan is to build 3 little houses for the islanders with a campfire or something, AND I want to build maybe a little pirate ship which arrives from the see...

We'll see how it goes on...;-)

-Aredhel