Sign in to follow this  
ApophisV

Preview: MOC "Native Surprise"

Hey pirates,

got my latest MOC finished, a 32x32 diorama showing two treasure hunting pirates!

post-14-1160340128_thumb.jpg

More will be shown soon!

hey this looks good... man, those islander camouflage well... almost didn't even see um !!! i expect to see some images of the cavern ??? hope so !!!

now, i know im not susposed to look at tis part of the MOC, but those black castle walls are really distracting.

- BrickMiner

Brick Miner!!! You've runined it for me! I was trying to ignore those castle walls but now you've pointed them out they're just too distracting! :-D

I see your point though, it does make the vignette look like its some roof top appartment but on the other hand those castle walls sure would conserve a lot of bricks. It would probably work better if they didn't have the window but I suppose it comes down to what's available.

But I'll assume if Mr Apo had the windowless version of that particular castle wall then he wouldn't have used the version with the windows. Unless there's an underlying reason for it yet to be revealed...

LOL! Dudes, I'd happily take any black bricks send towards me to replace the black wall pieces! :-P

I actually tried to save as much black bricks as possible for two reasons:

1. Originally this was meant as a single module of a larger layout where you hadn't seen the walls anymore after attaching everything (We canceled the other modules because of a huge lack of parts...)

2. There are several other MOCs Dana and me are building at the same time which probably will need black bricks too.

Maybe I could put some black plates at the side to cover the walls, but I gotta wait till Dana returns to Aachen with our camera to take some pics... Till then you gotta ignore the walls and concentrate on the actual MOC and not the structure underneath! :-P

Maybe you could digitally remove the windows from the castle walls. Since they're one constant colour and there isn't that much lighting variation it wouldn't be that hard.

But only for one or two of the images though, doing many would drive you insane!

I like this a lot, has an 'easily adapted to castle feel' which I like in apirate MOC X-D... Those windows do distract the eye though...

Thanks for sharing and God Bless,

Nathan

Its not anything to do with the castle walls is it Mr Norro? Its almost like a roof top garden for castle! :-D

how about replacing the black castle walls with more grey rock cragginess like on th inside of the ravine. Oh yeah and I think it looks MARVELOUS! Wouldn't it be cool if everyone built a 32x32 part of an island and put it all together at some convention just like that Moon Base project thats been floating about with those Lego Spacers....not that I've ever looked at any other type of Lego than piratey stuff.

Its not anything to do with the castle walls is it Mr Norro? Its almost like a roof top garden for castle! :-D

Haven't much time on my hands, so I'll give you some deep links without of any description for now:

BS Gallery

Detail 1 | Detail 2 | Detail 3 | Detail 4 | Detail 5 | Detail 6

Detail 7 | Detail 8 | Detail 9 | Detail 10 | Detail 11 | Detail 12

Detail 13 | Detail 14 | Detail 15 | Detail 16 | Detail 17 | Detail 18

Detail 19

Overview 1 | Overview 2 | Overview 3 | Overview 4 | Overview 5 | Overview 6

Overview 7 | Overview 8 | Overview 9

Description and comments coming later, maybe tonight!

Sorry if i does an exception but however i love the windows. I

I really like the sunken nature of the traure chest, very well done. And the bridge's defects are great as well!

God Bless,

Nathan

So the gist of the Moon Base Project for those too lazy to visit the website is:

The Moonbase idea was developed in July of 2002 in Washington DC by a group of LEGO Space enthusiasts that wanted to create a modular Space-themed building system. The goal was to create an easy to follow standard that would allow builders from around the world to build separate "modules" that could be connected seamlessly in a large Moonbase layout. The idea was an instant hit. Moonbase modules were being created within days and after only 2 months the first massive Moonbase layout was put together across the country at a LEGO fan convention in Seattle.

Yeah we could do something similar with with a huge honking island. whatcha think? Somebody could work out the total size of the island say 8 by 8 making a total of 64 parts (or 64 participants) to this island and anyone could do a section as long as they stuck to the parameters extablished for each square.

So the gist of the Moon Base Project for those too lazy to visit the website is:

The Moonbase idea was developed in July of 2002 in Washington DC by a group of LEGO Space enthusiasts that wanted to create a modular Space-themed building system. The goal was to create an easy to follow standard that would allow builders from around the world to build separate "modules" that could be connected seamlessly in a large Moonbase layout. The idea was an instant hit. Moonbase modules were being created within days and after only 2 months the first massive Moonbase layout was put together across the country at a LEGO fan convention in Seattle.

Imperial Scouts suggested a similiar idea in BaronSat's Ship Vignette thread in which he proposed to expand upon the vignette by having different builders for each section of the ship.

As yet he hasn't taken that idea any further.

Show of hands anyone out there interested in doing something like this? I've got enough lego and plates to do a 5x5 by myself but its more fun to do it with friends.

Imperial Scouts suggested a similiar idea in BaronSat's Ship Vignette thread in which he proposed to expand upon the vignette by having different builders for each section of the ship.

As yet he hasn't taken that idea any further.

I am terrible sorry that I haven't posted in this thread yet, sorry Apo! 8-|

Well, that is a stunning MOC you have there mate, I love the details, like the islanders hiding in the bushes and the half buried treasure and all the chests. The palm trees look very good, the coconuts are made of brown minifigs heads right? The bridge is a very nice touch to the MOC.

I didn't realise Islanders are this cool, someone needs to do something cool with it before you realise it, thanks for sharing!

I was going to say something about the coconuts, but apparently I got beat to the punch. :-/

With that said, that's a rerally nice MOC.

I've recently rediscovered my love of Lego bricks.

This is a great MOC; I like the dug-out hole that the treasure chest is in and the bridge (although brown or green string would have been better than white for the "rungs"). The plants on the side of the cliff is really great too.