Sign in to follow this  
Texrob

WIP Frigate

I've always been a town builder, but as a New Year's resolution, I decided I wanted to expand my skills starting with ships and building from the sailing era. This is my first attempt at a frigate. It's about 90-95% complete. I still need to add a few tweaks to it and some small details.

post-23434-132654548236.jpg post-23434-1326545879.jpg

post-23434-132654600924.jpg

Looks pretty good! I wouldn't mind seeing some closer shots. I'm wondering how you did the bowsprit.

Welcome to Eurobricks!

I've always been a town builder, but as a New Year's resolution, I decided I wanted to expand my skills starting with ships and building from the sailing era. This is my first attempt at a frigate. It's about 90-95% complete. I still need to add a few tweaks to it and some small details.

post-23434-132654548236.jpg post-23434-1326545879.jpg

post-23434-132654600924.jpg

A nice ship for your first, but there are some historical inaccuracies with her. The masts are all too close together. The foremast looks fine, but the mainmast should be about where the mizzen mast is, and the mizzen should be back by the quarterdeck. Speaking of the quarterdeck, it looks a little tall.

It's always cool to see another theme builder expanding towards pirates. :pir-wub:

Especially if those bring a decent ship along with them!

She has nice lines and a good looking coloursheme. It's not that accurate towards history, but this ship is looking good nevertheless!

The mast issue has already been described, and all what I have to say is to not to forget the lanterns at the back of the ship! Consider these things as the crown of your work. :pir-wink:

Oh, and some close-up pictures would be very appreciated! :pir-sweet:

This is very nice, the stern castle is a bit tall for a frigate I must say though but it looks nice either way, love to see more :pir-classic:

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I knew that the masts weren't quite right and I'll adjust them. As was mentioned, I also need to lanterns on the stern and a few other details to make it just a little more realistic.

Here is a close up of the bowsprit. I used two wedges 12 x 3 put together to create it. I also used the technique from the Imperial flagship to create the curve for the bow. I still need to replace the dark brown slopes with reddish brown for a better color match.

post-23434-132727554845.jpg

Thanks for the update. In the future, if possible, maybe think about putting a white bed-sheet (or something) behind your ship when you take pictures. It's kind of hard for old men like me to make out parts of the ship when it's sitting in front of that bookshelf.

Looks good, I like the Imperial Flagship-like hull, it looks good on the ship. You might however want to turn the flags around since they should be blowing with the sails.

Keep up the great work and great resolution! Can't wait to see the 5% more. :pir-sweet: