Siegfried

Technic Competition: It's coming!

We're doing one this year... with prizes. (Main prize probably in the range of 8070 and a second prize of something like 8068.) I've got some ideas and I've been sent loads over the last year or so but before I get serious with planning I want to hear more! An important aspect that I want to make part of this competition will be that it won't be decided entirely by public poll. I'd like about 50% of the weighting to be based on a combination of meeting certain challenges (such as make a MOC of a subject not normally done in Technic) and possibly a panel of EB Technic "Experts", with the rest being decided by poll after the first half is announced. This has several advantages, one of the biggest is that we won't see as much of "I'm-voting-for-my-friends-MOC-even-though-it's-rubbish" nor should we see the dreaded "I've-created-a-second-account-to-double-my-votes".

...anyway, rants aside, any ideas? Objections? At this stage I was thinking of running this next month.

Cool :laugh:

A technic competition is always good to have. I hope I can enter something. For the voting system: I think your idea is very good, I like it.

Maybe, instead of choosing a theme (like supercars, boats, airplanes or theme park rides), you could also do something like: building a crane that can lift the most, build a bridge that supports the most weight, or make the fastest car with just 1 M motor.

Next month is great, I think february is better than march.

I like the idea of a "Eurobricks Technic Competition" :thumbup: that is distinct from The Lego Group's "Technic Challenge" conducted the last two years during March-October. I have the following recommendations:

A) The Eurobricks Technic Competition should allow ENOUGH TIME for everyone to complete their MOCs. TLG's Technic Challenge only gave ~18 days in which to: (1) Find out that month's theme, (2) Order necessary parts from Bricklink or Pick-a-Brick, (3) Build the MOC, (4) Photograph it and submit it. 18 days is not enough time for larger MOCs, so people either submitted older creations or nothing at all. :sceptic: 6-8 weeks would be nice.

B) AFOLs worldwide might have more "build time" during the late winter months to participate in the Technic Competition (in the Northern Hemisphere, at least). Although the Aussies, Kiwis, and other AFOLs "Down Under" are enjoying their summer now, most AFOLs are cooped up inside with their Lego. :grin:

C) Yes, a Technic Competition could have a non-traditional theme (Bridges, animatronic Dinosaurs, Cranes, etc. not usually offered as official sets). In order to encourage the most participation, Technic AFOLs could try a MOC that they have never built before.

maybe we should keep a partcount limit to give people with a limited partcount a chance. only the creativity should be the border.

An other possibility would be " build a C-model only with the parts of a cheap Technic set xxxx. the coulour of the parts should not be a reason for disqualifying, to make it not neccessary to buy the set.

This sounds great and i already like to participate!

I agree with the mentioned things:

a limited partcount enhances creativity, and also the number of participants.

A MOC with 10.000 parts and limitless posibilities is most likely to win. There's no fun in that for people that dont have those options...

Good luck!

An EB Technic competition would be fantastic!

I agree that we need more than 18 days to build a moc, and I think a part count limit would be beneficial.

That's good news :classic:

We can also do something like "make a studless version of set..." or "make a studded version of set ..."

Edited by legolijntje

I agree with what everyone has said. A limit to parts (2000?) and a longer time limit would be good(4-6 weeks?). I cant wait to submit!

tim

We can also do something like "make a studless version of set..." or "make a studded version of set ..."

Hm, not so sure about that. It's not really something creative.

About the time: I agree that 2 weeks is to short, but isn't 6-8 weeks to long? I think 4 or 5 would be better. Especially if there's a limit (part or size), I guess there's not that much time needed.

Part count is a good idea, but I'm not sure if I want to count all parts. Would you like to count 1000 parts, without destroying your model?

Maybe a size limit is better, something like 40x40x40 cm

Hm, not so sure about that. It's not really something creative.

About the time: I agree that 2 weeks is to short, but isn't 6-8 weeks to long? I think 4 or 5 would be better. Especially if there's a limit (part or size), I guess there's not that much time needed.

Part count is a good idea, but I'm not sure if I want to count all parts. Would you like to count 1000 parts, without destroying your model?

Maybe a size limit is better, something like 40x40x40 cm

I think a part limit would be good if it was used as a general guide. For instance if the challenge is build a crane with 1000 pieces, the piece count limit would prevent people from building huge 8 axle 3 foot tall crane.

tim

For me time limit is the best solution, if you are be able to do a MOC with 30000 pieces in time good for you, I need 1 or 2 weeks... for 30000 pieces MOC may be 3 weeks :laugh: .

An other possibility would be " build a C-model only with the parts of a cheap Technic set xxxx. the coulour of the parts should not be a reason for disqualifying, to make it not neccessary to buy the set.

I really like this idea. This would keep the contest open for AFOLs with a small budget. I think we definitely should have a c-model category in this contest.

For me time limit is the best solution, if you are be able to do a MOC with 30000 pieces in time good for you, I need 1 or 2 weeks... for 30000 pieces MOC may be 3 weeks :laugh: .

I think the problem with the time limit is that people can post old (big) mocs.

Edited by marv

this sounds like a great idea,

i think a number of weeks woud be better than 18 days or so. I always have a lot of school work, so i cant build whenever i want, i guess other students here face the same problem.

a c model competition sounds great, from one set, or make a c model of 2 smaller sets combined.

or we could do a theme like "weird-inventions" :)

A old MOC is easy to recognice if it has been posted before. The C-model is a good idea too but how do you know if there are more bricks that in the original set, hard to know I think.

I really like the idea of a Technic competition. I think either a part count limit or a size limit would be good as it would allow people who don't have a very big Technic parts collection (like me) or can't afford to buy any more pieces (Also like me) to stand a better chance. I also think that it should be about something that hasn't been done before. I'm not sure what but something to get people thinking.

You could specify a mathematical or technical problem to be solved by the competitors. For example: An electric adder to add 4 bits to another set of 4 bits.

Another funny idea would be to reverse engineer typical household machines and recreate them with bricks. A printer would be a good idea because you can transport the paper inside the machine using LEGO wheels.

Edited by Sisko

A old MOC is easy to recognice if it has been posted before. The C-model is a good idea too but how do you know if there are more bricks that in the original set, hard to know I think.

I agree, as I only have 2 sets at the moment, the c model of a cheap set would be ideal for me, as I would buy it especially. The only thing that might concern me is how to make sure that only the parts in the set are used in each MOC, to make it fair for everyone.

I agree, as I only have 2 sets at the moment, the c model of a cheap set would be ideal for me, as I would buy it especially. The only thing that might concern me is how to make sure that only the parts in the set are used in each MOC, to make it fair for everyone.

maybe a step by step pdf instruction which is send by email to the judges.

maybe a step by step pdf instruction which is send by email to the judges.

That would be way to much work, esp for those people who havn't ever used modeling programs.

i think a number of weeks woud be better than 18 days or so. I always have a lot of school work, so i cant build whenever i want, i guess other students here face the same problem.

I agree with you, i only have time to build at night when i dont have tests to study for, so a few weeks to build would be great.

tim

That would be way to much work, esp for those people who havn't ever used modeling programs.

i make instructions for my mocs and i use no CAD programs. only a digital camera is needed

i make instructions for my mocs and i use no CAD programs. only a digital camera is needed

Totally agree with you and would be great to have more MOCs instructions. The one who know how to watch is able to see a extra brick in somewhere.

I suggest that the Eurobricks Technic Competition THEME be a "Carnival Ride". It's not something that you see modelled in Lego Technic very often, but it lends itself to the use of GEARS. One can make anything within that theme, as long as:

1) The "carnival ride" can be motorized or non-motorized, remote-controlled or not. One can operate the ride by hand, crank-handle, or motors.

2) The overall size of the ride can be no larger than a 50cm x 50cm x 50cm box (19-5/8" cube). A tape measure or ruler must appear in the Competition submission photo to verify its overall size. There is no maximum number of parts; the Carnival Ride can be tall and gangly or compact.

3) The proper FUNCTION of the ride is more important than its color or APPEARANCE; one does not need to "decorate" the ride with LED lights, jewels, multi-colored tiles, etc.

What do you think? If you don't like that theme, what theme do you suggest?

chair_swing_carnival_ride.jpgpumpkin-rides.jpgzipper3.jpgpower_surge.jpg1081-1243002372g5q0.jpgali_baba.jpg

i have no objections against this theme. And i have a idea for a ride.

an other idea for the challenge would be: "Ships, diving vessels and offshore working platforms" or "Airplanes, helicopters and airships" or "container handling" or "Snow"

I would love see a new technic competition,there is just too many problems with legos one which is a bit of a 'carnival ride' its self if i may say so.:laugh: