dark1san

Do any of your significant others share your love of Lego?

My gf/fiance doesn't go out of her way to enjoy Legos like I do, but she likes the female minifigures and has a little area of her dresser just for them.

My wife wasn't opposed to the idea of legos when I came out of my dark ages at the end of 2010. Over 2011 she has become more receptive and actually tells me we should go look for the CMFs at different stores. It was her idea to hit up Lego clearance after Christmas. And now this year, she is starting to really like the Friends sets, so we might be getting some of those for her.

So, she doesn't share my obsession, but she is understanding of it.

Oh :oh:, certainly. It's my boyfriend's fault I got back into LEGO. After some time of complaining about wishing to live together in our own house someday and how unlikely is that to happen in near future, he bought me a house. Yes, a house! *oh2* Actually two houses. Only that it were the Creator Family home (6754) and House (4956) :wub: . He's an AFOL too, but he builds less than I do because of lack of time.

Before I was reintroduced to LEGO, I liked LEGO as a child, but didn't really look for it in stores or felt 'a need' to build.

I think my story is somewhat unique because my husband and I came out of our Dark Ages together at the same moment. We saw some really cool Castle sets in a store one day. They were two of the fantasy era sets. We started talking about how much we loved LEGO as a kid and we couldn't resist buying those sets - and that started our adult fandom of LEGO. That was back at the end of 2009, I think, and we've completely enjoyed the hobby since, buying more and more sets, branching out into new themes and creating MOCs together. We spend way too much, but also have a lot of fun sharing the hobby. I feel very lucky that we both love the hobby. default_satisfied.gif

Nope not really. She goes with me and does stuff, but as she says, she’s a fan of Fans of Lego. So is that FOFOL’s!? :tongue:

Edited by Rook

My husband is a member here after he was converted. (When I met him he had a few sets (exoforce of all things), so he was balancing on the edge, I just came along and pushed him into the AFOL pool).

I also changed him from a set lover to a MOCer (which was more of a battle, but I needed pieces in the sets he had built, so was a necessary (albeit selfish) change I needed him to make). :devil:

I also changed him from a set lover to a MOCer (which was more of a battle, but I needed pieces in the sets he had built, so was a necessary (albeit selfish) change I needed him to make). :devil:

A bit off topic, I could use an advice on that... :grin: Mine has some sets at home assembled, and I'm not supposed to touch them, or worse, use bricks from those sets. :angry: I can use only some of his bricks, and his collection is so much bigger than mine. :cry_sad:

Nope not really. She goes with me and does stuff, but as she says, she’s a fan of Fans of Lego. So is that FOFOL’s!? :tongue:

I don't know...She seemed pretty darn excited at all those friend sets.... :tongue:

My gf is a sorta a fan. I think she is more a fan of me and thinks my nerdy-ness is cute. she did buy digon ally on her own, so she does like some sets.

My significant other is very tolerant. Our attached two car garage holds only LEGO. She will also sort a little, help build repetative elements, and buys LEGO gifts for my birthday and Christmas. We also built the winter village sets together this year and displayed them in our living room.

I consider myself lucky to have her in my life. I don't think I am deserving of her if she becomes an AFOL! But I would welcome it.

Not so much for the physical bricks but my SO spends a lot of time on Lego Universe.. :laugh:

A bit off topic, I could use an advice on that... :grin: Mine has some sets at home assembled, and I'm not supposed to touch them, or worse, use bricks from those sets. :angry: I can use only some of his bricks, and his collection is so much bigger than mine. :cry_sad:

The thing that tipped him from collector to builder was he built an old steam train as a set and wanted to make it better so I strongly encouraged him to try different things and he liked the outcome. He still has some sets (modular ones) built which he has not noticed are missing bits) :blush:

He thinks it's "cool", but nothing more. He's a very childish person in general though, so it kinda bugs me that he doesn't enjoy it like I do default_sceptic.gif I love sharing LEGO.

My wife gets a little tired of some of my son's and of course my Lego collection and creations, but she warms to the houses and pretty scenes like the winter collection....her favourite minifig is the punk rocker which sits proudly under her 32" TV in the main bedroom. :classic:

I guess with her love for wedding and medical shows/films....anything to do with those....oh, yeah a particular ship that sank about 100 years ago too.....things like that will turn her to the light ! :laugh:

Edited by lightningtiger

Oh :oh:, certainly. It's my boyfriend's fault I got back into LEGO.

Same here. :sweet: We get one of each set at least one of us likes so we have a shared collection. It's also great to share the building experience, especially of larger, repetitive builds (e.g. Tower Bridge :tongue:).

I was nuts about Town sets when I was a kid, then forgot about Lego for a decade or so... But realising they started designing AFOL sets made me jump right back into legomania. :blush:

My significant other is very tolerant. Our attached two car garage holds only LEGO. She will also sort a little, help build repetative elements, and buys LEGO gifts for my birthday and Christmas. We also built the winter village sets together this year and displayed them in our living room.

I consider myself lucky to have her in my life. I don't think I am deserving of her if she becomes an AFOL! But I would welcome it.

Change the garage for spare bedroom and loft and this describes my missus relationship with LEGO perfectly!

Cheers

Rog

Unfortunately not. Most of my family think I've lost my mind a little though they always knew I was a little on the 'quirky' side. I can see my husband's eyes glaze over whenever I start droning on and on about different Lego sets! I think he's thinking, 'oh hell, how much is this going to cost now?!'

My 3 year old daughter likes her Duplo though and loves to look at 'Mummy's Lego'.

Yes, in a way. Not in the same way I love Lego but he has his own sets ad will sometimes join me in building when he has the time or is in the mood. He's also not bothered by the fact I have so much and spend so much time on it. He came with me to Legoland Windsor and smiles indulgently when I waffle on about Lego. If I have an idea for a build and run it past him he'll often suggest things I hadn't thought of. Apparently as a boy he spent a lot of time on his own playing with Lego. Much as I did.

My wife likes some of the city sets. She says I should focus on Starwars and her on City. She considered the Creator Modular Petshop, Fire Brigade, etc a part of City. She likes to help look for CMF too. When we build she likes to mix all the pieces up (rather than sort by color first) then find the pieces for each step in the instructions while I build a step or two behind her.

My wife is more open to Lego now. I think she's happy I have a hobby to occupy my time. We built some Hogwarts stuff for the Community Build not too long ago and she got into that. It was nice to share that with her. She had some good ideas, especially for not being a Lego nut like me. And she loves the new Friends sets, although she hasn't really built any of them. She had me build them for our daughter, so I don't know.

I do think she gets tired of hearing about new sets or pieces I want to order.

Just over a year ago when I first started talking about buying Lego again (After discovering the CMFs) and reclaiming my Lego from my parents house my wife was encouraging, in that she said if I wanted too I should, but it was still very much my thing. Then in the run up to Christmas I started buying the Winter Village sets and she liked those and decided that we should build one of them together. So we sat round the dining table and built it between us over a couple of evenings. We then did the same for the Pet Shop and Fire Station (I'd built the Grand Emporium with a friend over the summer) and we are now talking about what OUR next set will be.

I am very much still at the set building stage and anything new we buy is left built up and doing this together is really enjoyable. I don't think she will ever get into MOCing (Saying that I'm not sure I will do much either) but she definatelly is warming to Lego (Even if she does keep saying I'm not allowed anymore shelf space in the house for it!

D

(Even if she does keep saying I'm not allowed anymore shelf space in the house for it!

I build them and display them for a while. Then I take them down and put them in gallon ziploc baggies back in their boxes. It is hard to have so many Lego in a one bedroom apartment.