LegoMyMamma

MOC: Olivia's Woodshop

indexed.gif B-OV-20E gallery_15845_212_1480.png

Welcome to Olivia's Woodshop!

6681821911_d5c96b8399_z.jpg

Welcome to Olivia's woodshop by LegoMyMamma, on Flickr

Olivia is busy building something for a friend. Can you guess what it is?

6681782643_5c0a28d43e.jpg

Olivia using a glue gun on the rocker by LegoMyMamma, on Flickr

The blue bricks in Olivia's Inventor's Workshop set are a great color for an accent wall.

The ruler from Emma's Design Studio comes in handy for the woodshop work table -- remember, measure twice, cut once!

6681755459_783d32f7ed.jpg

Olivia sitting on rocking chair she built by LegoMyMamma, on Flickr

Olivia sits easily on the rocker she built.

6681815947_83f2836dfd.jpg

Olivia busy in her woodshop by LegoMyMamma, on Flickr

Full side view of her wood-shop. (Photo added for clarification Jan 13)

6681721455_dbb733cdd0.jpg

Olivia's woodshop - classic MiniFig head size comparison by LegoMyMamma, on Flickr

These sets integrate so well with other System bricks ~ the wood-grain printed tiles help her Woodshop seem even more realistic.

Gosh, that classic yellow MiniFig head is almost as big as she is :wink:

While opening this set, I was first amazed at how small the mini-dolls are in real life. I love them. They are actually easier to MOC with for me. Although not having legs move reverse tandemly (like other MiniFigs), they are wee bit limited on placing onto a base plate diagonally. Oh, well, I will just tile my next floor :classic:

For any anthropological interest: I open box, cut plastic bags, take out bricks I wanna touch first. Then (after getting to Olivia - who is so easy to put together and hold - not better or worse than classic figs - just a new option) I place all bricks & pieces in front of me. I build. Halfway through this build, I looked at instructions just to get all bricks/elements organized which the set-design used to create the vice-grip. Because, I fell in love with it upon first seeing this set. :wub:

Thanks for visiting!

Edited by Pandora

I absolutely love your woodshop and that rocking chair is excellent! Nice colors, I like the overall look of it. And it looks like a place where Olivia would really like to spend her time knowing her creativity. I'd buy that set! :sweet:

After seeing this MOC my first thought was a coffin... :tongue:

That's a great MOC and I was the most surprised to finally see a Friendly MOC. I do share your opinion on integrating Friends set with non-Friends sets. Your chair is of utmost unusual design for me, haven't seen it before to use crossbows for chairs, but it looks fantastic. Could use one like that myself. All in all, it's great to use some more colourful bricks in otherwise tan/brownish woodshop, it brights up the room. :classic:

Very nice MOC! I like the use of crossbows for the chair. It's just amazing how LEGO can be used for so many different purposes. default_thumbup.gif

Great MOC and some really innovative piece usage on the rocking chair, not just the crossbows but also the window shutter. Love it.

Not bad for EB's first Friend's MOC (I believe :blush: ), now I can steer your creation a little if I may....the saw is wrong, it should swing downward, as it's a chop saw or better known in woodworking....a radial arm saw....though this has a sliding motion.

A drill press and a bench circular saw.....perhaps a planer and final a woodturning lathe....she had to use one to knock up a minifig head eh ? :wink:

The really cool part of this MOC, the chair....clever designing indeed there.

Brick On 'LegoMyMamma' !

Final Note - I can't wait for a motor garage and one of the girl's as a mechanic. :thumbup:

To: Leela, Thanks for liking my chair design. Funny about thinking of a coffin -- I'll need to get more wood :wink:

To: Redhead1982, Also, thanks for enjoying the chair design. I think Friends sets are an asset to any MOCer!

To: SilvaShado, Glad you appreciate the cross-integration of pieces from other sets in Friends sets & vice-versa.

To: AndyC, Olivia's rocking chair is definitely not going into your basement :tongue: Thanks for your kind comments!

Not bad for EB's first Friend's MOC (I believe :blush: ), now I can steer your creation a little if I may....the saw is wrong, it should swing downward, as it's a chop saw or better known in woodworking....a radial arm saw....though this has a sliding motion.

A drill press and a bench circular saw.....perhaps a planer and final a woodturning lathe....she had to use one to knock up a minifig head eh ? :wink:

The really cool part of this MOC, the chair....clever designing indeed there.

Brick On 'LegoMyMamma' !

To: lightningtiger,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my MOC. I only put 4 pictures here on EB, however if you have some time to see more on Flickr, you can see it's a hand-held circular saw Olivia is using: Olivia with her handsaw in her woodshop

The placement of the hand-saw on the pictures here on EB is in its holder on the side of that work-table. I would like to make a radial-arm saw some time though; I will have to get out some pins for making it pivot and adjust for angled cuts. I will make sure the blade is perpendicular to the wood piece :wink:

As for other tools/machines you mentioned, there actually is a drill-press in her woodshop -- can you see it?

I would like to make a table (bench) circular saw at some point in time too. This vignette didn't have room for a planer. If I make one, I'll be sure to give Olivia ear defenders. As for a lathe, am not sure, I never used it as much as these other machines. I guess I'm kinda square that way.

The machine I will be tackling to make next is a band saw, or possibly a jigsaw. It takes time to create something with so many moving parts like those to be size-ratio compatible to minifig (or mini-doll) scale.

Friends sets are a good addition in color and elements (the table ruler is from Emma's design studio).

The vice-grip is my favorite part of the set -- it's actually what inspired me to re-create a woodshop like ones I've used to build wood furniture for my home. That's actually how she got that classic minifig head -- tighten, pull, and "pop" it came off :laugh:

Thanks for also for liking my rocker -- and motivating me to build more machines! :thumbup:

Wow! Olivia surely does like as if she is having lots of fun in her new workshop! Lovely MOC with so many interesting accessories and a cool rocking chair. Very nicely built!!! Congratulations!

Here's a chop saw idea if you like it 'LegoMyMamma'. :classic:

0000_1_workshop_supplies_064.jpg

It's from one of my older MOC's....sadly gone now to build my Danish village street. :cry_sad:

The drill looks better, any advice or ideas just ask. :sweet:

Is it a really good use of parts? :tongue: Nice MOC, what set is the printed wood from?

Olivia is already my favourite Friends girl and seeing this woodshop MOC has really started me thinking as to what sort of workshop I might build for her. I've already posted pictures of Olivia with drill and spanner in hand with the timber tramway locomotive I've just built, but plainly she's going to need a proper workshop if I'm going to have her involved with repairs and maintenance on my railway.

There are lots of tools and there is quite a bit of wood everywhere which is perfect for a workshop MOC. Nice rocking chair too. Overall, I think this is an excellent Friends MOC and I'm sure Olivia wouldn't mind having this as her workshop. :sweet: