Legacy Man

How much did you spend on Lego in 2011?

Not sure how much I spent myself (Trouble remembering what I bought and what I got as gifts, etc), but I'd estimate it at around $1500-$2000 USD. Part of that is from a Brickworld trip though, so it was unavoidable...

I would guess around $5000. Most spending was done at LEGO stores. Breakdown: 2000 on sets, 1500 on pick a brick cases, 500 on collectable minis, and 1000 on bricklink for those hard to find parts and figs.

That has been about average over the last 4 years for me. When I came out of my dark age in 2007 it was $15,000. :blush: What is wrong with me?

I estimate I've spent 500€ per month, so 6000€, or 8000$ if you prefer. Brickset estimates my collection to 12000$, 120.000 parts and 811 minifigures. But I've not already counted all of them.

and here is a picture I got for one day trip in (several) walmart stores. (I know many people spent more than me :)

87dff319jw1dojy9zonbwj.jpg

Our trunk looked like that also after Christmas clearance! Although, no Ninjago, mostly Kingdoms and a few stragglers from other themes.

Andy D

I like your motto. I will incorporate it as my own. Although, I need to spend some on pieces to build certain MOCs I've been thinking about lately. Haha, it never ends!

lightningtiger

I like how you start listing your sets, then it continues and continues, like, this is all I purchased, oh yeah and this and this. :wink: I know the feeling all too well!

As far as how much I spent, this last year... I haven't added it up, thankfully! I was estimating around $500, but my wife said it was closer to $2000-3000. So maybe I just want her to believe it is only $500 haha. She seems to be open with it since she came up with a higher number, or maybe she is actually keeping track. :cry_sad:

It really does add up with all these great sets/themes. Thankfully I'm sticking with the few themes I was interested in as a kid (castle and pirates), so I have a lot of overlap and can MOC to my heart's content. And now they have Harry Potter and those Super Heroes that I will need to pick up. I'm just thankful I'm not into Star Wars, that would get out of hand fast! I can understand why they have their own theme on EB.

Funny you should ask -- I was just summarizing expenses for the year to help plan for 2012. I wanted to see if I spent less on LEGO than my wife did on scrapbooking (results: it's pretty close to dead even). Looks like I spent about $2500, almost evenly divided between BrickLink and sets from various stores. BrickSet says I have $2100 worth of sets, but I don't think I've put the post-Christmas binge in yet, so that's understating it. I tend not to buy sets unless they're 50+% off, so that's why I have > $2100 worth of sets but only spent $1200 or so. (Came out of my dark ages last January, so I had some catching up to do.) That sounds like a lot of money, so I'm glad to see in this thread that I'm nowhere near the biggest spender out there. I think I may not spend as much this year; we've got a lot of sets and parts now, and I've got a stash of sets hidden away for gifts for my son. Then again, with Dinos and LoTR coming up, and PoTC likely to go on sale, we might spend a ton again this year.

I have spent about a grand just in Modulex alone! :laugh:

In LEGO, I would say it was a poor year for me, again around a grand in LEGO, but compared to 2010 where it was about 3x more.

After reading some of the replies, I feel much better about mine. I figured I averaged of $800+-/mo, so around $9,600. Pretty much the same for the last 2 years I think I may have a hoarding issue... default_wacko.gif

Hopefully this year will be a little calmer as I am spending much less on discontinued sets default_classic.gif

Edited by Lego Guy Bri

Hey Chris... my bricks are bigger than your bricks. And yes you are addicted to modulex.

great photo Lego Godt Gud. You can lose a small animal in all of that unopened, unsorted, (oh dear that looks like a lot of work) LEGO.

Edited by DaleDVM

My spending was around $10k, but I sell figs and parts on Bricklink, so I just about broke even for the year. Means I have a HUGE pile of parts that I kept though :)

Exactly what I do and in approximately the same volume. I sold 200+ PoTC minifigs alone on Bricklink.

I'd say in the neighborhood of $3000, which is less than 2010, but which is way too much. I vow this year to spend a lot less. Luckily, while I will buy all the LOTR and CMF sets, I see little else so far that I will "need."

That's an interesting question, indeed! I rather not think about it. Well, briefly I evaluated the sets I bought and it is approximately around 760 EUR. That's just the sets. Luckily, I got some of the sets on discount. Then I was Bricklinking a bit and spent maybe around 300 EUR there, and some more at LEGO PAB walls (5 cups I think). So, in total it's around 1000 EUR for the biggest child, I spent less for my nephews (I'm a bad auntie :sad: ).

Well, when you come back, I think we're all inclined to buy more, to get things from the previous years and so on. My plans for 2012 are not that bad at all, 3 City sets, some CM6 and 7, Creator's summer house, the new modular, Kingdoms joust, some Friends. Hopefully it'll sum up at less than 1000 EUR. :blush:

I'm a bit shocked by some of the amounts. I thought I spent a lot on LEGO. I spent roughly 1300 Euros (excluding the air fare for going to Brickfair in the US and the Great Western LEGO show, which is a fairly typical amount for the last few years.

Most of the LEGO I buy goes into MOCs and I'm pretty sure I build more than most people. This makes me wonder what those of you who spend close to $10000 on it do with all of it (other than trading)?

Cheers,

Ralph

If I had to approximate it, I'd say around $1100 USD. That might be a low estimate and could be as high as $2k.

For 2012, I'm planning to cut back just a bit on Lego, mostly because of some household financial issues. :sadnew: We'll see how that goes, heh.

since I came out of my darkages during 2011 I spent a lot in my opinion. I am looking at around 500$ us dollars on bricklink and another 2,000$ between TRU and lego.com

Got back into Lego in 2010, spent loads that year, possibly £2,000. Was doing ok this year, resisting some urges, till I got to about August and went mad on Atlantis, some older city sets, Kings Castle and Medieval Market Village. I do track my spending, buy my computer died a few months ago and I lost the exact figures.

Trying to cut back a bit, and am selling some sets now, need to be more focused and less scattershot in the purchases. I've always wanted to build a lego city, but realistically I will never have the room, so a modular street scene would be more realistic, and therefore I dont need so many vehicles or coastguard sets and boats!

Loving those pictures of the trunk / room filled with Lego sets!

I don't buy that many "small" sets, I mostly buy the bigger sets, CMFs etc. Don't know the exact amount, but among my purchases were Diagon Alley, MMV, the Winter sets, minifig boxes and Green Grocer (which already set me back a couple hundred dollars). Now I still have to get the Volkswagen camper van, Pet Shop and the upcoming Town Hall, so my wallet is hating me already and 2012 has only just begun. :sweet:

£45 on one star wars set and that's it because I think Lego last year wasn't as good as it usually is, but this year will be the best year for Lego ever with the release of LOTR sets.

Around 400 euro, only the last three months. I blame the Imperial Shuttle for driving up the total price that I have spent.

I'm a bit shocked by some of the amounts. I thought I spent a lot on LEGO. I spent roughly 1300 Euros (excluding the air fare for going to Brickfair in the US and the Great Western LEGO show, which is a fairly typical amount for the last few years.

Most of the LEGO I buy goes into MOCs and I'm pretty sure I build more than most people. This makes me wonder what those of you who spend close to $10000 on it do with all of it (other than trading)?

Cheers,

Ralph

I think It's also a matter of being smart in what you buy. As for my self, next to collecting LEGO Star Wars I want to MOC and I'm only going to buy sets that have parts that I can use. I ignored until now sets that are on sale and are moderately interesting but useless to me.

I spent surprisingly little this year, I kind of had a semi-dark age during the last quarter of the year. :sceptic:

But there's already a lot that I want this year, so I my money won't be safe for long. :wink:

Around 400 euro, only the last three months. I blame the Imperial Shuttle for driving up the total price that I have spent.

I think It's also a matter of being smart in what you buy. As for my self, next to collecting LEGO Star Wars I want to MOC and I'm only going to buy sets that have parts that I can use. I ignored until now sets that are on sale and are moderately interesting but useless to me.

I agree. I generally only buy parts or sets with parts that I intend to use in my own models. Unlike some people I know, who tell themselves they'll use the parts eventually but don't seem to build much of anything, I actually do use them. I could easily spend more on LEGO if I wanted to, but don't have any use for more.

Cheers,

Ralph

I don't do much selling or trading at all. I think maybe 30-40 sales over 2 years. I only have a hand full of sets to-be-sold. The rest are in those big stacked containers in a closet (previously my layout room) default_classic.gif

Cheers,

Ralph

Hey Ralph. I really love your vehicles and even moreso your aircraft. You do excellent high quality work! And yes you create a lot of MOCs!

I am one of those who spends a decent sum annually. I can honestly say I have never traded or sold a single LEGO piece. I have given a few pieces and minifigs away to friends but otherwise I still have it all. Where does my LEGO go? A majority goes into storage for future projects; my mind is always planning. I hope those plans come to fruition or else my car is sitting out in the snow for nothing.

The rest of that LEGO has gone into this.

6685286159_7a7cd62f67.jpg6685286355_b6a685334f.jpg

These are two photos of the first 5 feet of my castle layout. The entire city is almost 24 feet long now. I am guessing 125,000 pieces give or take a bunch. I have been building it for so long and honestly I really haven't been counting. Considering the large structures and moreso the lanscapes they sit on it is a whole lot of brick. I suppose I don't do a lot of MOCs. I guess I just do one big one that goes on and on.

I have never posted one of my MOCs online before this. I really don't even like to take photos of it. I feel it is still a work in progress. Perhaps when I am satisfied with the whole layout, I will put some good detailed photos of the entire thing on the internet. I just wanted to show you that there is a lot of LEGO out there that hardly ever gets seen for one reason or another. My stuff is so big I really only take it out for shows here in Chicago. I know I am not alone. There are others that have so much more than I do.

I don't do much selling or trading at all. I think maybe 30-40 sales over 2 years. I only have a hand full of sets to-be-sold. The rest are in those big stacked containers in a closet (previously my layout room) default_classic.gif

OK, so what do you do with your LEGO?

Hey Ralph. I really love your vehicles and even moreso your aircraft. You do excellent high quality work! And yes you create a lot of MOCs!

I am one of those who spends a decent sum annually. I can honestly say I have never traded or sold a single LEGO piece. I have given a few pieces and minifigs away to friends but otherwise I still have it all. Where does my LEGO go? A majority goes into storage for future projects; my mind is always planning. I hope those plans come to fruition or else my car is sitting out in the snow for nothing.

The rest of that LEGO has gone into this.

6685286159_7a7cd62f67.jpg6685286355_b6a685334f.jpg

These are two photos of the first 5 feet of my castle layout. The entire city is almost 24 feet long now. I am guessing 125,000 pieces give or take a bunch. I have been building it for so long and honestly I really haven't been counting. Considering the large structures and moreso the lanscapes they sit on it is a whole lot of brick. I suppose I don't do a lot of MOCs. I guess I just do one big one that goes on and on.

I have never posted one of my MOCs online before this. I really don't even like to take photos of it. I feel it is still a work in progress. Perhaps when I am satisfied with the whole layout, I will put some good detailed photos of the entire thing on the internet. I just wanted to show you that there is a lot of LEGO out there that hardly ever gets seen for one reason or another. My stuff is so big I really only take it out for shows here in Chicago. I know I am not alone. There are others that have so much more than I do.

That makes sense. Obviously that's a far bigger project than the sort of things I undertake. I generally don't work on projects that take longer than a few weeks at most.

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

Yes Ralph everyone has there own way of doing things. Unfortunately for me I can't exactly take it apart to make a new MOC either. Since I am building upon an already existing MOC I have to just keep buying more. However one day a few years from now, I will take it all apart and move onto something else.

Also we have to take into account collectors who never even MOC at all. Some people spend loads on LEGO just to keep the sets as they are. I couldn't do that, but I would think that us MOC builders are actually the minority of LEGO fans.

Edited by DaleDVM