Sign in to follow this  
Iceman792

Octuptarra magna tri-droid

First of all nice looking droid, second in regards to Pedro's version, I reckon there is enough differences and improvements that make this droid stand on it's own, you guys are replicating the same thing so they are bound to be similar.

Seriously with the internet and Google you can find an absurd amounts of pictures and references of one thing, there's no need to turn this into some soap drama, if Iceman referred to Pedro's model for a lot of the techniques then he should give credit, if not then it is just an honest misunderstanding.

Just throwing this into the mix:

Gunner's tri-droid

I did find one particular detail on Iceman792's interesting - look where the legs meet the core. Three cheese slopes, followed by a 1x1 tile with clip, on which a Bionicle tooth piece is attached via a pistol. Not something you see on most tri-droids. Actually, most tri-droids I've seen build the legs with click hinge bricks, as opposed to stacked plates, presumably for stability reasons. Then again, most tri-droids are smaller than this. Tri-droids do come in several canon sizes, after all...

Edited by Fallenangel

Very nice looking droid, wether or not it's copied or just heavily influenced is up to the op to give credit if thats what happened. I can see things that look close to each and things that are diffrent but you both have great looking droids.

Oh, this is ridiculous.

Pedro, with all due respect, both of your were "copied" from the Clone Wars. It's not Iceman's fault that he needed a stand. The model was probably unsteady without it. Second, maybe it is just coincidence that he did some designs of his the same way you did yours. If those are the best pieces that could be used, than he used them. I guess only Iceman can answer whether or not he copied it.

Ok, so then EVERY Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Toy Story, Spiderman, DC Universe, Ferarri, Mercedes, Porsche ect. ( the list goes on) MOCS are copies just because someone made a brickbuilt version and shouldn't be given credit for it? I hardly see that as being justified.

IMO, I agree with Pedro, once you've built something...then seen someone else's with the same techniques. It's super obvious. More than anyone who hasn't had that experience can say.

Hey Iceman,

I can't help but draw attention to the striking similiarity this bears to my own version of the Tri Droid from 2009. The picture below is a link to my original post:

It's plain to see you've been very heavily influenced by my version. In fact, asides from a handful of alterations at it's core it is pretty much a copy of my design. This isn't more in evidence than the fact that you've actually copied it's main flaw, one which I've worked on since to try and remove - the need for a stand.

Now I'm don't mind people drawing inspiration from my creations or copying the construction techniques that's taken me time and effort to figure out - not at all - in fact I'm only too happy to help and provide additional information if I can. It's one of the very best parts about our community - the ability to inspire and share with each other.

But please, if you do choose to use or copy someones work... at the very least acknowledge it.

I hate to have my honesty called into question; I also don’t like accused of theft. If you would like my footnotes that went into the designs of the different elements I’d be happy to oblige. I have LDD screenshots, WIP photos and drawings. The stand went through five different iterations before coming to fruition and actually was one of the most difficult aspects in my opinion. It was something I wracked my brain on and it hurts my feelings that you call it an oversight. If you’re so interested in the way the legs came together, the original design was one stud wide throughout then transformed into the stud direction change through trial and error and adherence to reference shots.

Very similar ideas and designs often are thought up independent of each other ie. the telephone, early designs of typewriters and most famously the theory of evolution. I’m pretty shocked myself upon seeing your MOC how similar the legs came out (though I can name 15+ points were they sharply differ), and I can see your frustration. I wish though you would have respectfully settled this via PM though. If this is the way that this community treats one another, I’m not sure I want to be a part of it. I don’t believe I’ll continue posting to Eurobricks.

If this is the way that this community treats one another, I’m not sure I want to be a part of it. I don’t believe I’ll continue posting to Eurobricks.

Please don't leave, we all enjoy good MOC's here. Even if you did copy (which I'm not saying you did) we ALL draw inspiration from others on building so as long as you aren't taking credit for a directly copied MOC (which you aren't) then it's perfectly fine. Not every MOC needs an MLA source list of every building technique used.

I agree though that in the future any copying complaints should be addressed with PM's. Iceman's thunder has been stolen over this claim. Let's not always jump to assumptions.

Edited by StoutFiles

Personally, Perdo & Iceman I wouldn’t worry about it. There isn’t much difference between this two models and yet there is enough (note the design differences on the head, guns, and neck). This is kind of like posting a modified set. There are a lot of similarities between these two on the legs. If Iceman intends to profit from it, then Pedro you should raise a stink about it.

Edited by Rook

I'm afraid to post anything...

Iceman792, this is a spectacular MOC! I love the colors and techniques used in this. Spectacular job! :sweet:

And, Brickdoctor, superb photo-editing! Look like official LEGO photography. :thumbup:

EDIT: Have you considered posting this on CUUSOO?

Edited by Parrothead Rasmus

No matter the fact that he may have taken many ideas from one source or another, the combination of those plus his own ideas has created a design that is a masterpiece and the best one of its kind, from the smooth transitions of color on the correctly proportioned head, to the spindly yet menacing design of its weapons and legs, and even to the menacing eyes that watchfully notices all motion.

I really like the legs on this MOC. I do wish that there was a way to make nice curves and rounded surfaces with Legos :sceptic: .