rriggs

Double Decker Coach

indexed.gif V-LB-05A

Hi

Having recently finished sorting my sets into parts so that I can make MOCs more easily and quickly, I thought I should build a quick MOC to see how easy it was using nicely sorted pieces. The answer is that it was very easy and I am really pleased with the result - this double-decker coach.

I have nicked a couple of ideas from the coach in 8404 and tried to improve in a couple of places too. This is the front 3/4 view:

IMG_0027.JPG

This is more of a side view showing that I made the all-important conversion to right hand drive so it can drive on the left (correct) side of the road:

IMG_0028.JPG

One of the features of the coach in 8404 that needed improvement was the doors so I have replaced them with more realistic plug-type doors as featured on most modern coaches. There are two doors as is common on double-deck coaches. The stairs go up over the rear axles.. This is a picture of the doors open:

IMG_0031.JPG

The offside is quite a tidy view and I am very pleased with it. The lack of doors means it's very neat indeed. Seating capacity of 15 minifigures plus the driver.

IMG_0034.JPG

The back end of the coach is quite a neat deisgn too and borrows heavily from the coach in 8404 once again. I am pleased that it doesn't look too tall for it's width. I think overall that the proportions are pretty well balanced:

IMG_0033.JPG

I hope to take some better pictures tomorrow when the light is better...

Cheers

Rog

Edited by Phred

Nice to see you build MOCs Rog. It's where the action is :wink:

I like the look of it. The wheels look a bit small compared to the bulk of the vehicle, but this way it does stay very close to the aesthetic of LEGO's own city range.

Cheers,

Ralph

Nicely done,

I really like the rounded panel at the entrance :)

Now make the back fold up for a luggage compartement

and add a bunch of eager skiiers and add it to the

winter village competition...

Very nice details and awesome door mechanism - perhaps you could include a small line of another colour, blue for example, for extra detailing?

Great job :thumbup:

Not bad at all 'rriggs', though I agree with 'Ralph_S' the wheels to scale of the height of the truck...well, don't go fast around corners then ? :laugh:

I like the sliding doors, though a little short for vehicle doors eh ? :wink:

Anyway, I still like the bus, good work and Brick On Bus On 'rriggs' ! :classic:

Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback. I will take a photo of the door mechanism tomorrow.

The wheels do look a little on the small side but are the same wheels as LEGO used on the 8404 coach. I have tried to keep the current LEGO range look and feel to the coach which means these wheels are appropriate. Different colour mudguards might help? That said, there are a lot of double deck coaches in the UK with small wheels. They give a lower step when boarding and allow a taller body within the height allowed. This is an example:

At37bbw.JPG

I did look at putting some colour on the coach but there is no complete straight line from front to back making any stripes tricky.

The doors are quite small but use all the available space from floor to floor. I think the black top edge makes them look smaller than they are but without that the lines of the coach are spoiled

Cheers

Rog

Thanks Ralph - does mean we'll have less to argue about from now on....

Cheers

Rog

Fantastic bus; well built. :thumbup:

I think that the wheels are quite realistic; thank you for adding the photo to highlight this point.

Hopefully Lego will steal your idea and turn it into a kit; with royalties to you of course. :tongue:

Love the bus...looks excellent and I particularly like the way you have converted a current set in such a clever way...including to have it drive on the "right" (left) side of the road.

I am very interested in how you did the doors and would like to add my vote for any insight you are willing to share on that.

I also like the comparetmetns you have put in on both sides.

I like the look of it. The wheels look a bit small compared to the bulk of the vehicle, but this way it does stay very close to the aesthetic of LEGO's own city range.

Cheers,

Ralph

I drive coaches for a living and we have double deckers in our fleet. All the bus wheels come up to about my waist height so I think the lego wheels are ok for buses / trucks. Just to big for cars :wink:

Very neat - if I may ask - how did you do the doors?!

Doink

Close up of the door mechanism

It consists of a 1x1 brick with handle (inside the coach), two black space skeleton arms, a black light sword blade and a 1x1 brick with a clip (on the door). I did originally have 1x1 bricks with handles in the coach and on the door but changed to the sword blade and brick with clip as it then forms a handrail for passengers.

Both doors are identical and work in a very similar way to real doors of this type.

Img_0037a.jpg

Do you have pics of the interior?

Lower deck interior

Three chairs and a table. You can just make out the start of the stair case behind the seat on the right.

Img_0039a.jpg

Upper deck interior.

You can see where the stair case comes up and the handrails to try and stop minifigures falling down the stairs.

Img_0041a.jpg

Close up of the driver's cab.

I worked for a time as a coach driver so I paid particular attention to this area and made sure he had a better seat than the passengers (brown instead of red!), proper instruments (missing from most LEGO vehicles), plenty of space and even a nice sculpted end to the dashboard.

Img_0042a.jpg

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs