Corioso

WIP - line ship

Hi all!

I created the first version of my line ship, but I thought she looks like a sausage.:pirate_sad2: And I am rebuilding her now.

3c49d8ff1911.jpg

I have more photos of my first version, but they are of bad quality...

Some photos of my Next version:

1978ba9aaef0.jpg

ff2ff52e746f.jpg

d2ce62174024.jpg

16b0be75621d.jpg

f10fa63a9a6a.jpg

dc76dd139d6a.jpg

While building I relied on the construction of the ship Goto Predestinatsia:

300px-Goto_Predestinacia_1.jpg295px-Goto_Predestinacia_2.jpg

I hope you'll help me in my attempt. :pir-classic:

Edited by Corioso

hey, your first version looks actually quite good, but i agree, it doesn't look like the Goto Predestinatsia as it is a ship of the line, 18th century. The overall look of your version looks rather like a barque, though it has 2 cannon decks, mostly because the stern part goes up too high and too sharp for beeing a ship of the line. but dont get me wrong, it still looks like a very cool ship, just not like what was your aim, but this often happens to me as well. you could rebuild it if you want the Goto Pr. but ey, isnt it great to create smth new? it is your ship and it looks good =) you could also consider to build another ship without disassambling, or atleast put more qualitiy pics to your flickr of this current version^^

Thank you! Unfortunately I disassembled her.

It is very hard to build a real model in LEGO. I have the restriction in the quantity of pieces, the LEGO ship-base is very narrow. And in any case the ship will be very small for a minifig. I don't want to build a model. I just want to build a line ship. :pir-cry_happy: I didn't manage it last time.

I think they are both great, and the first version looks really good IMO. Like a galleon or something. I wish you luck and i will wait your next updates.

Captain Becker

Yes, you made a WIP thread! I'll be following this. :excited: The first build was already amazing, she'd make a great East Indiaman.

Only thing I don't like right now is that the gunports are sunk into the side, but that's a really small complaint, keep it up!

The problem with building ships of the line is that they are extremely long. Your first version looks fantastic, but to me it is a galleon. Though being high, if you see the reference pictures you placed here, you will also see that the ship is much more longer than what you are designing them. Besides giving her extra length, which can create problems because of the number of parts you have available, you can do each gun's deck lower, like 4/5 studs. This will probably help you to get the look you want, but you will probably have to neglect the inside.

Anyway, great WIP toping, I will certainly be following it default_thumbup.gif

I would also really consider to use an extra midsection to increase the length of the ship. Otherwise you will end up with a bulky ship, your first version is amazing, but too short, which causes the 'sausage' look. :pir-classic:

Good luck!

This, my friend, is a WIP I'll definetly be following, your technique is one to admire!, and your first ship looked awesome! but I guess probably it lacked a little more lenght, as other already stated, still an excellent look! :pir-sweet:

Your first version looks nice, only sausage characteristic I see would be the color, I like it when Line ships are colored.

The problem with building ships of the line is that they are extremely long.

I think the real problem is that they are extremely wide :pir_laugh2:

I think the problem here is that the proportions he is using are not correct, thus giving the 'sausage' look. This is because he built a very high ship, comparing to both wideness and length. If you see the plans of this ship of the line and compare them with his first ship, and since he is building from the water-line, you will see that he needs extra length or less height.

But ships of the line are indeed larger than longer, when comparing to normal ships, my apologies pir_laugh2.gif

Plan02.jpg

Your first version looks nice, only sausage characteristic I see would be the color, I like it when Line ships are colored.

I think the real problem is that they are extremely wide :pir_laugh2:

I always encounter problems with the length. :pir_laugh2:

It is very true indeed that a ship of the line is very wide as well.

Thanks all who answers!

I have a very big update.

e13dd8b6826c.jpg

f2141318a7db.jpg

e291af8e90fb.jpg

a4e897c247b4.jpg

The cannons will be just on one side. Where are they all gone from BrickLink?? :pir_bawling:

2e531fa6f57b.jpg

Looks amazing. I really like the forecastle and custom cannons. the shape is great.

Looks great! I'm really impressed with her proportions - for a prefab hull the width is just amazing. How many midsections is this? I love the old style stern balconies as well, we don't see many of those. Is this the final colorscheme? She might look good with the blue on some models, although the current colorscheme has a great wooden feel to it. Keep it up!

This is the kind of ship that really makes me want to build some custom ships of my own. I love the overall shape of the original and I also like what you are doing with the new one. The stern is really cool too. :pir-classic:

I have a little update here:

eb3e9a439e61.jpg

The front:

5addeed00cf5.jpg

The stern:

1a9d35143be5.jpg

Edited by Corioso

To be honest, this is a great ship and her completion should be pursued. I will be following this and hope to see more ships from you in the future. :jollyroger:

Nice! Your cannons are nice, and the headrails are perfect so far. Also, the broadside looks excellent. Does she have an interior?

Great ship! Looks to be inspired a bit by the Soleil Royal.

The colourscheme looks very realistic and I also like the golden ornaments.

Are you planning to make custom rigging or use the brown LEGO pieces?

I think custom rigging would do this ship much more justice.

Good luck!

Sorry, that I haven’t answered for such a long time.

Thanks!

Are you planning to make custom rigging or use the brown LEGO pieces?

I think custom rigging would do this ship much more justice.

I think it would be good. I shall do it in future. But I have no skill yet. :pir-look: