Thego

VIP Exclusive 850458 LEGO® Minifigures set

please please please, tell me it's just a joke... this is not our first choice, not even our second or third... why oh why, would we wanna have some more fishermen and space villains...

Well said!

Another money-saver. :hmpf:

I could understand this if they were making a "VIP set" for series 1,2 and 3 but if this is "it".... well that just sucks.

If these figures were not all series 3 minifigures, I'd buy that the figures chosen were the popular choice of kfols. It appears that at least the mummy is a substitution made by Lego, where the mummy is thought to be "similar enough" to the zombie to pass for one, disregarding that the mummy is such a plain and boring figure. I personally like the space villain as I'm a big fan of the Blacktron 2 theme, and I understand why the fisherman was chosen as it probably eluded many with it's two-per-box distribution. The elf is pretty much a given, it might be the best of all the collectible minifigures. I wouldn't be surprised if gorilla suit guy is popular with the kiddos as well.

It's sad we missed an opportunity to get at least one or two of the first and second series minifigures, as especially the first series had a limited distribution in the US and many people missed those figures. I could believe some of the molds are retired/on hiatus, but is there no way to make a few of those older figures?

If these figures were not all series 3 minifigures, I'd buy that the figures chosen were the popular choice of kfols. It appears that at least the mummy is a substitution made by Lego, where the mummy is thought to be "similar enough" to the zombie to pass for one, disregarding that the mummy is such a plain and boring figure. I personally like the space villain as I'm a big fan of the Blacktron 2 theme, and I understand why the fisherman was chosen as it probably eluded many with it's two-per-box distribution. The elf is pretty much a given, it might be the best of all the collectible minifigures. I wouldn't be surprised if gorilla suit guy is popular with the kiddos as well.

It's sad we missed an opportunity to get at least one or two of the first and second series minifigures, as especially the first series had a limited distribution in the US and many people missed those figures. I could believe some of the molds are retired/on hiatus, but is there no way to make a few of those older figures?

My guess is just that the popular figs from Series 1 and 2 are exactly the ones that they couldn't produce. I imagine most votes for Series 1 and 2 figs were for the highest-demand figs like the Zombie and Spartan Warrior, and that there were probably more votes for Series 3 "misses" than for Series 1 and 2 "misses" just on account of that being the series that (at the time) was on voters' minds. If there had been lots of votes for figures like the Surfer or Super Wrestler, it's quite possible that those might have been able to be produced, but I can easily picture votes for the Elf, Space Villain, and even Fisherman outweighing votes for these figs that used more common parts.

It's also worth noting that the "Chinese plastic" issues were MUCH more prominent with Series 1 and 2 than with Series 3, so some people might have outright avoided voting for Series 1 and 2 minifigures except for a few super-expensive and super-desirable ones like the Spartan Warrior, Forestman, and Zombie.

If these figures were not all series 3 minifigures, I'd buy that the figures chosen were the popular choice of kfols. It appears that at least the mummy is a substitution made by Lego, where the mummy is thought to be "similar enough" to the zombie to pass for one, disregarding that the mummy is such a plain and boring figure.

Oh, really? I personally think the mummy is an excellent figure, and it's also arguably a better army-builder than the zombie - sure, I'd rather have vast hordes of zombies than vast hordes of mummies, but not if they're all going to look exactly the same anyway. It matters a bit less if a bunch of mummies all look the same than it does if a bunch of zombies do, I think.

Anyway, I don't think there's any evidence the selection is really the result of anything other than the actual poll results, with perhaps some concession to what parts are still readily available and which ones aren't. EB members may have voted differently, but being adults we are decidedly not reflective of the overwhelming majority of LEGO users, and our tastes do not necessarily reflect those of the typical voter in the poll.

Info from Kevin Hinkle, North America Community Coordinator LEGO Community Engagement and Events

Greetings LEGO Ambassadors,

I was actually just speaking with the VIP team about this very topic yesterday. Just as Mike provided earlier, I want to highlight this statement copied from the original message sent out a few months ago:

"Please be aware that while every best effort will be made to exactly replicate the minifigures from the series range, if the winning minifigures contain parts no longer in production, we will look to find the closest looking pieces as a replacement part, and if no suitable replacement parts are readily available, we will substitute the minifigure(s) in question with runners-up."

Unfortunately, some subsitutions were unavoidable. Rather than fail to deliver a promise that this collection would be available for purchase in 2012, we felt it was more important as an orgnization to follow through with this and deliver. All the feedback generated from the promotion thus far has been properly funneled through to the appropriate teams and as always we appreciate your thoughts, concerns and support.

Regards,

...These are the results? *huh*

Ok, give me a minute..

:iamded_lol:

This is too funny. The Mummy, Fisherman, and the Space Villian? That's just... :rofl: No Spartan? That's ridiculous. :head_back: I'm honestly really surprised. This is too funny...I only see a golden scorpion, and a black hat. This is just..hilarious :laugh:

Yea I thought those Results were dumb, Fisherman and Mummy are so dang common in my experience.

Info from Kevin Hinkle, North America Community Coordinator LEGO Community Engagement and Events

Well it's good to hear that TLG have at least understood the issue and I guess that, without knowing the full results, we just have to accept that was the best possible collection from the parts available. I guess we can at least be happy in the knowledge that whatever figs did come top, the designers working on CMs will know to make more along those lines in future (rather than skateboarders! :tongue:)

Oh, really? I personally think the mummy is an excellent figure, and it's also arguably a better army-builder than the zombie - sure, I'd rather have vast hordes of zombies than vast hordes of mummies, but not if they're all going to look exactly the same anyway. It matters a bit less if a bunch of mummies all look the same than it does if a bunch of zombies do, I think.

Anyway, I don't think there's any evidence the selection is really the result of anything other than the actual poll results, with perhaps some concession to what parts are still readily available and which ones aren't. EB members may have voted differently, but being adults we are decidedly not reflective of the overwhelming majority of LEGO users, and our tastes do not necessarily reflect those of the typical voter in the poll.

Granted, I don't know the numbers myself, but what amount of VIPs are kids? Remember, VIP members were emailed, not LEGO customers, in general.

Granted, I don't know the numbers myself, but what amount of VIPs are kids? Remember, VIP members were emailed, not LEGO customers, in general.

Not sure, but I'm certain a lot of VIPs are parents of kids. Any parent who does a lot of online or in-store LEGO shopping would have as much reason to take advantage of the VIP program as an AFOL buying sets for themselves. My dad's a VIP, although he's both an AFOL and a parent of three LEGO fans. :tongue:

Again, is the set JUST the Minifigures or do we not know yet?

It hasn't been completely confirmed, but from LEGO has said and shown, it should just be the figures with their accessories. Probably a lot like the Vintage sets... boy, I wish they would do more of those.

It hasn't been completely confirmed, but from LEGO has said and shown, it should just be the figures with their accessories. Probably a lot like the Vintage sets... boy, I wish they would do more of those.

Only if they improve the quality of the figs.

Only if they improve the quality of the figs.

That and add accessories, but still, I liked getting older figs in brand new condition. But I guess it didn't sell well because they stopped after the girl set.

Bumpity bump. Is this not happening anymore? I haven't seen anything here or otherwise about a release date. I was hoping this was coming out in March, before I head up to a brand store. I'm pretty eager to get this because I never got any of those figs.

Bumpity bump. Is this not happening anymore? I haven't seen anything here or otherwise about a release date. I was hoping this was coming out in March, before I head up to a brand store. I'm pretty eager to get this because I never got any of those figs.

Sometime this summer.

-Sci

Found this set today at the Downtown Disney Lego Store. $14.99.

It's as underwhelming as I thought it would be.

Here's the differences from the originals as far as I can tell:

Elf - no change

Gorilla suit guy - no change (Edit: banana has some different mold markings; there's two small circles on one side of the banana.)

Space Villain - light silver leg instead of dark; torso print quality looks worse. (Edit: I took a second look and the quality may not be worse...It'll depend on your tastes; the new one has finer lines, so at first glance, details such as the black lines are harder to notice. Also, this may just be a natural printing variation which could vary from figure to figure...won't really know until I see other people's sets.)

Fisherman - Black hat instead of dark blue; silver fish instead of sand green.

Mummy - Gold scorpion instead of dark red.

Bad cell phone photo, sorry:

7276177758_0a5079935a.jpg

Edited by SpacySmoke

Elf - no change

Gorilla suit guy - no change

Space Villain - light silver leg instead of dark; torso print quality looks worse.

:thumbdown::hmpf_bad:

Elf - no change

Gorilla suit guy - no change

Space Villain - light silver leg instead of dark; torso print quality looks worse.

Bad cell phone photo, sorry:

{pic}

It's as bad as I expected it to be when it was first announced. The Fisherman figure is now near worthless to me, except for his beard. Buy the CMF Beach set instead of this, unless you're desperate to have the Elf figure! :sceptic:

Edited by just2good

Wow. I knew the changes were bad, but...

I'll still probably try to pick up a few of these, just because I could use an army of elves and mummies, the gorillas will be useful for Heroica metasimians, and the space villains' helmets and guns will still be useful.

Honestly, though, that's...that's just disappointing. Or, because this is the Internet:

[meme]"Son, I am disappoint."[/meme] :sceptic:

It's still got an Elf and a Mummy, it's good enough for me. I don't mind about the Space Villian because it's not important to me, but I am dissapointed about the Fisherman's colour changes. I'll still buy it though.