Badsneaker

eBay user sells instructions for other builder's MOCs

noticed instructions for this Town Hall on a certain Auction site. Thought I had seen it recently!

I'd love to see instructions on the windows and columns. I know Jamie explains the column technique on the LEGO website, anyone have any details on the windows? I've seen the Brickshelf photos and I kind of get it but not completely. Ah I found the instructions for $9.99 on eBay. Does anyone know if that is actually Jamie himself selling those or someone else?

EDIT by Hinckley: Here is the eBay user in question

And here is a listing of his current auction items

On 8/26/2011 at 1:46 PM, Badsneaker said:

I'd love to see instructions on the windows and columns. I know Jamie explains the column technique on the LEGO website, anyone have any details on the windows? I've seen the Brickshelf photos and I kind of get it but not completely. Ah I found the instructions for $9.99 on eBay. Does anyone know if that is actually Jamie himself selling those or someone else?

Hi. No this is not Jamie but someone by the name Miran Pris. They are very detailed instructions.

Do you have a link to those instructions? Really interested in checking them out. :)

Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/City-Hall-10182-10185-10190-10197-10211-10218-/250841473252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a675120e4

Some of the instructions vary slightly from the real model, mainly the window and columns technique, but otherwise worth the 10 bucks. Also you get a Bricklink parts list which you can import to your wanted list on Bricklink.

This is slightly off-topic, but what that seller is up to seems very dodgy to me. He's selling instructions to Jamie Berard's Town Hall? I very much doubt that he's got permission to do that. It would be a different story if he'd used pictures of the actual building he sells instructions to, but using pictures of Jamie Berard's Town Hall to sell his own instructions - especially if there are differences between the instructions and the pictures - makes me suspicious.

He appears to do the exact same thing with Eurobricks member shutinc's Wax Museum - the images are lifted straight from shutinc's flickr account. I've PM'd him about it.

And if he proves to have permission for this, I'll obviously apologize for being suspicious...

EDIT: Shutinc just answered me. He's never given any permission to use the images, and the case is probably the same with the Town Hall. So there are some skeletons in this seller's closet. I'll boycott him, and I suggest you do the same.

EDIT: Shutinc just answered me. He's never given any permission to use the images, and the case is probably the same with the Town Hall. So there are some skeletons in this seller's closet. I'll boycott him, and I suggest you do the same.

That's really bad, and instructions for both have actually been sold as well!!

Shutinc just answered me. He's never given any permission to use the images, and the case is probably the same with the Town Hall. So there are some skeletons in this seller's closet. I'll boycott him, and I suggest you do the same.

Maybe we should just share the instructions here, so there's no need for the community to buy these.

That's really bad, and instructions for both have actually been sold as well!!

Everone I would just like to say that I feel bad for purchasing these instructions as they seemed genuine from the seller. It is realy bad that there are people out there willing to profit from others work. I certailnly won't be buying from this seller again.

Wow, this is pretty horrible.

Outright stealing from people who are amazing designers.

I would love to say that the solution for this is too release the instructions online for free, but i also understand that the designers want their creations to stay unique to there town.

However it would kill their business and stop them from making money on others ingenuity.

This is a tough one...

Maybe we should just share the instructions here, so there's no need for the community to buy these.

That would be an equally bad thing to do, because the seller has made the instructions himself (no official instructions for these buildings have been made by the builders) - and judging from his feedback on eBay, he's done a pretty good job, except for the fact that the details are just not quite right. Not that anything else was expected, as he's never seen the real buildings, just the pictures. So if the instructions were published here, we'd be violating his right to own his own intellectual property: The instructions.

But his biggest mistake, of course, isn't making the instructions. His big mistake is selling them, and then using images that aren't his to market them - when the instructions don't even match the instructions closely. He didn't ask for permission - which makes this a) illegal and b) very rude.

Edited by L@go

The ebay seller is clearly in breach of its listing policies as stated here because "Digitally delivered goods and items which are transferred electronically are not permitted on eBay". The seller states that they e-mail the instructions. :hmpf_bad:

I have reported the listing because of this and perhaps others could do the same?

The ebay seller is clearly in breach of its listing policies as stated here because "Digitally delivered goods and items which are transferred electronically are not permitted on eBay". The seller states that they e-mail the instructions. :hmpf_bad:

I have reported the listing because of this and perhaps others could do the same?

Unfortunately there are many sellers on eBay who sell custom LEGO instructions via digital delivery. They will probably do nothing about it.

I purchased the Town Hall instructions, mainly for the window details (which are wrong, I figured out how Jamie does it if anyone wants to know or see), but I was under the (false) impression the seller had some sort of agreement with Jamie.

Unfortunately I doubt eBay will do anything about this unless the owners of the images actually file a report. Then there could be a problem for the seller. If they don't get onto it quick enough, the guy will make stacks more sales as they seem to be extremely popular.

Really sad when someone has to steal another person's talent to make money.

Unfortunately I doubt eBay will do anything about this unless the owners of the images actually file a report. Then there could be a problem for the seller. If they don't get onto it quick enough, the guy will make stacks more sales as they seem to be extremely popular.

Really sad when someone has to steal another person's talent to make money.

Sorry guys for driving this further off-topic, I am just told by a friend that the same eBay seller is selling instructions of my Arc de Triomphe without permission as well (I do not make building instructions for my models and I do not sell my designs).

I think the Spanish modulars are done by a Japanese builder called Peachtree:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2008/06/01/spanish-style-modular-cafe-by-peachtree/

and I remember seeing the train station somewhere before, but I can't remember the builder's name.

I guess I will pm shutinc for his opinion on this.

I am just told by a friend that the same eBay seller is selling instructions of my Arc de Triomphe without permission as well.

I had a look at the seller's items when I first found out what he was up to, and I googled Lego Arc de Triomphe to try to find out who was the original builder, but without results. I know shutinc has filed an eBay report, and you should definitely do the same.

I think the Spanish modulars are done by a Japanese builder called Peachtree.

Yes, they are, but I haven't found any way to contact him so far...

I had a look at the seller's items when I first found out what he was up to, and I googled Lego Arc de Triomphe to try to find out who was the original builder, but without results. I know shutinc has filed an eBay report, and you should definitely do the same.

Yes, they are, but I haven't found any way to contact him so far...

Here is the source of the photos:

The photos are all taken during the Cityplaza show in Hong Kong, Apr 2011.

Thanks L@go!

Edited by jaredchan

Sorry for digging this up, but I just wanted to let you know that I sent Jamie Berard a PM about the seller trying to profit from his Town Hall design, and he answered me today. He was frustrated to see the eBay page - not so much because the seller has tried to recreate his building, but because he's trying to make money from it, not even bothering to snap new pictures.

He also told me that he'd forwarded the link to TLC's legal department. Which is probably a bit worrying for the seller, as Mr. Berard designed the Town Hall as a Lego employee, thereby making it the company's design, I assume...

Naturally, being a responsible Eurobricker, I've asked if he could offer us just a tiny little hint as to what we can expect from the next modular, or even when it'll be out. I'm not really expecting him to answer that, though, but it would be stupid not to ask :)

I'm not sure about the first one but here are the other two.

2. Post Office

3. Town Hall

The post office is a model I designed and posted here at Eurobricks (my post) and it's certainly not me who is selling the instructions!!! This guy is not only selling instructions for my set, he's using the pictures I took from it to sell it!!!! (thus commiting a double fellony, stealing the model and then stealing the pictures, which both have property rights!!!) I've reported him on ebay and plan to initiate legal actions against him. According to his eBay listing, he has already sold 20 copies of it, thus earning U$$200 from my creativity!!! I'm really outraged!!!! Can someone advise how to begin legal actions against him?

Edited by frogstudio

The post office is a model I designed and posted here at Eurobricks (my post) and it's certainly not me who is selling the instructions!!! This guy is not only selling instructions for my set, he's using the pictures I took from it to sell it!!!! (thus commiting a double fellony, stealing the model and then stealing the pictures, which both have property rights!!!) I've reported him on ebay and plan to initiate legal actions against him. According to his eBay listing, he has already sold 20 copies of it, thus earning U$$200 from my creativity!!! I'm really outraged!!!! Can someone advise how to begin legal actions against him?

My condolences. Using your photos to sell the instructions is rather brazen. The pictures used in the auction were how I found a blog post linking to your Brickshelf folder.

See a lawyer. Most solicitors here will write a cease and desist letter for about $50. You need to see a lawyer since copyright laws vary depending on country, and Ebay will pretty much ignore you till you make a serious legal claim. Send the letter to Ebay and that should stop his auction. Also you should change your privacy settings on the photo so it disappears from the auction, you could also delete it and repost it with a different name. I doubt you'll have much luck getting anything out of the seller apart from getting him to stop selling your design though.

Really sorry to hear that. On the plus side, it is a really spectacular MOC you've created - one which you should be really proud of, I wish I had your creative skill!! - it's just a shame people use it for their own gain.

Can someone advise how to begin legal actions against him?

If I were you, I'd contact Eurobricks member shutinc, who's another victim of the same bastard - as is Lego's own Jamie Berard, as you'll see if you go back a few pages in this thread. I know they've both reported the seller, and JB told me he's put TLG's lawyers on the case.

The seller appears to have picked MOCs he liked and made instructions based on pictures he found, selling them on using those very same pics. He probably has no understanding whatsoever of copyright law and intellectual property rights.

I meant above instructions are stolen if I read the topic. Where to buy the original (Not Lego) ones?

In all likelihood their are no 'original' instructions that were stolen, the guy selling them reverse engineers the designs from photos posted by the AFOLs who built them and makes instructions.

Sorry for digging this up, but I just wanted to let you know that I sent Jamie Berard a PM about the seller trying to profit from his Town Hall design, and he answered me today. He was frustrated to see the eBay page - not so much because the seller has tried to recreate his building, but because he's trying to make money from it, not even bothering to snap new pictures.

He also told me that he'd forwarded the link to TLC's legal department. Which is probably a bit worrying for the seller, as Mr. Berard designed the Town Hall as a Lego employee, thereby making it the company's design, I assume...

Naturally, being a responsible Eurobricker, I've asked if he could offer us just a tiny little hint as to what we can expect from the next modular, or even when it'll be out. I'm not really expecting him to answer that, though, but it would be stupid not to ask :)

Hate bringing it up again, but it looks like he has added (stole) some other builders designs. He blatantly copied all of this brickshelf users photos:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=stefauster

If anyone here knows this guy, give him a heads up if he doesn't already know. He also is on that legostein website

Here is the eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corner-Cafe-Building-Instruction-10182-10185-10190-10197-10211-10218-Modular-/250958819668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6e4fb154#ht_574wt_1185

There are plenty of ligit sellers on eBay doing LEGO instructions, including members here, but this is pathetic. All of the others are still there for purchase, the wax museum, Town Hall, Spanish Grocer, etc. Not only do I feel bad for the designers, I feel bad for the people purchasing them. I'm sure most of them never end up building these anyways, as the cost and difficulty of getting all the pieces will probably turn them off once they realize this is not going to be a nicely packaged $150 LEGO modular. Nicely shot photos are a world away from actually buying all the pieces, I'm sure most of these folks aren't Bricklink users and/or have a nicely organized brick collection. They probably have a few official modulars and think this will be an easy way to add to their collection. Worst case is I see a lot of these purchases done by parents of younger LEGO enthusiasts who see this on eBay and get their parents to buy the instructions, only to find the cost and difficulty of actually doing it will more than likely end up in a disappointed child.

Sorry for the Christmas rant, but I saw these instructions today and it just grinds my gears.

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

Hate bringing it up again, but it looks like he has added (stole) some other builders designs. He blatantly copied all of this brickshelf users photos:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=stefauster

If anyone here knows this guy, give him a heads up if he doesn't already know. He also is on that legostein website

Here is the eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corner-Cafe-Building-Instruction-10182-10185-10190-10197-10211-10218-Modular-/250958819668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6e4fb154#ht_574wt_1185

There are plenty of ligit sellers on eBay doing LEGO instructions, including members here, but this is pathetic. All of the others are still there for purchase, the wax museum, Town Hall, Spanish Grocer, etc. Not only do I feel bad for the designers, I feel bad for the people purchasing them. I'm sure most of them never end up building these anyways, as the cost and difficulty of getting all the pieces will probably turn them off once they realize this is not going to be a nicely packaged $150 LEGO modular. Nicely shot photos are a world away from actually buying all the pieces, I'm sure most of these folks aren't Bricklink users and/or have a nicely organized brick collection. They probably have a few official modulars and think this will be an easy way to add to their collection. Worst case is I see a lot of these purchases done by parents of younger LEGO enthusiasts who see this on eBay and get their parents to buy the instructions, only to find the cost and difficulty of actually doing it will more than likely end up in a disappointed child.

Sorry for the Christmas rant, but I saw these instructions today and it just grinds my gears.

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

It appears as though he has taken down the photos of some of the older ones and replaced them with his digital pictures. Nothing wrong with that but what a shame he hasn't done it to the newer ones he's stolen. I suppose he's waiting to get told he has to remove the photos.