mortesv

USC Super Star Destroyer Mod (10221)

September 1st 2011 at 9:59 am.

I was first in line in front of the Copenhagen LEGO store. Impatiently counting the seconds until the store doors opened and I finally could get my dirty hands on the 10221. In my mind I went through the more than 800 bricks I had bought on BrickLink in the days before. Epic as I knew the official Super Star Destroyer was, I knew it had it faults - and that it needed tweaking. I had spent the preceding months looking at SSD MOCs and the actual model used in the films, deciding what issues to address and where I simply could be a bit creative…

BAM!! Finally, the store doors opened and an entire mob of crazy LEGO nuts crashed through the gates in a tsunami of expectations and glee… Ahem… Well… Actually it was only me and two of my friends - they couldn’t quite muster my level of enthusiasm… But in any case, that was how I felt ;)

Quickly, I flung out my VIP card, told the clerk my reservation number and demanded getting the set in the shipping box. The friendly clerk smiled at me, shook her head and then went into the store room.

It was mine! Finally! Now I just had to go the 50 meters back to the office and wait (work?!) for 9-10 hours until I could go home and get bricking…

Fast forward to the weekend...

6642528997_3fcd284abb_z.jpg

This thing took up the entire dining table...

So here are a few pics of the unmodified model - for comparison:

6642155521_a88672429e_z.jpg

This angle shows off the nasty gab between top and bottom of the model and the strange holes next to the engine that leads nowhere

6642153903_8d7908e94d_z.jpg

Another engine angle

6642151235_172b622f93_z.jpg

Directly from behind - flat bottom all the way baby! :tongue:

6642149821_722e763b2f_z.jpg

The "city"

On to the mod. The first thing on the agenda was the mini ISD - making it look better and fixing its scale. I really appreciate LEGO making scale models, but they never seem to bother to actually make them to, erm, scale... :sceptic::laugh:

6642549775_c04a367ebf_z.jpg

The modded mini ISD: I have exchanged the 6x3 wedges with 8x3 ones and added a few extra bricks to get the right angles and to underline the top superstructure. I also changed some of the bottom wedges, to be more in line with the new 13 stud size. I rather liked the design ideas behind the existing mini model, but it seemed it was simply not completed and the scale was 2 studs off. At 13 studs in length the modded mini ISD as close to scale as you can get.

On to the top "city". Even though the "official" greeble was actually quite simple, I like that it retained the modular city design from the reference model. However, I still thought it neede just a bit more "omph" so I added close to 100 bricks on the top - using a few more types of bricks to make the scale more plausible, while trying not to go overboard:

6642546859_692d5b276c_z.jpg

It is probably difficult to discern in this picture, but there is a substantial amount of detail added to the "city"

6642535911_ef1419a501_z.jpg

Closer view. I like levers, binoculars and taps, but I have also added more of the existing greeble bricks.

6642538321_57ac5a1669_z.jpg

Closer still

One of the main complaints about the 10221 is its bottom. Compared to how it is filmed in the movies the bottom on the 10221 seems waaay too flat. However if you look at the film model itself (there is a link at the very end - but dont go there just yet :wink: ) you'll see that, while not completely flat, its bottom angle is very shallow. Still, I wanted to lower the entire bottom at the end of the model a bit - also to make more room for detailing the engine space. My solution is admittedly not the most elegant (stepped plate on a four foot model! - perhaps some day when I'm old and grey...), but at least the bottom isn't completely flat and the engine section has the appropriate amount of "vertical space":

6642540461_4069ee26e8_z.jpg

At least it is not completely flat anymore. I have also exchanged the SNOT panels detailing down sides, with gear bricks. Dont know why LEGO choose to use SNOT here - I stole the gear idea from Anio's MOC :wink:

But enough excuses! On to my favorite part - THE ENGINES! :laugh:

If you have seen my ISD mod, you know I like engine detailing and greebling ( see it here )

As seen above, the engines had a little bit of detailing - at least compared to the ISD (UCS) which had none :laugh: . Perhaps the designer thought that when a stud is supposed to be more than 120 meters in real life, making intricate detailing could throw the scale off? - that was at least my concern when I began :classic: I knew I couldn't do too much piping - like a had done on the ISD, because that would quickly make the model look smaller with too many recognizable "moving" parts - it is supposed to look 19.000 meters long! :wacko: . Thus, I opted to give the engine section more "texture" where there were "clean" plates, and fill the strange holes and gaps with interesting looking greeble:

6642532477_768eab5642_z.jpg

More engine deatils :classic: . I have also closed the gap between the top plates and the engine housing with greeble. The gap between the entire right and left top plate section has also been closed - even though it is hard to see in this picture.

6642552437_e50ba53354_z.jpg

There is no longer a black hole under wing, but instead some detailing way back in there :)

6642544811_1365f107c8_z.jpg

Close up - I like wrenches :)

6642542475_7b77ef325d_z.jpg

Here is is evident that I have lowered the entire bottom a bit - and filled the (expanded) gap with greble :devil:

I have a ton of more pictures, but I think there should be enough for now :tongue:

Let me hear your thoughts! :sweet:

One more thing! Before Fallenangel beats me in the head with it, here is the link to the real model used in the films :wink:

Film Model

And click here for pictures of me in the LEGO store (can’t imagine why anyone would actually click here… unless you like ugly hairdos :tongue: )

Morten at the Copenhagen LEGO Store

Edited by mortesv

6642544811_1365f107c8_z.jpg

I think this picture in particular sums up how much TLG attempt was lacking. I feel sorry for them though the ISD was really nice with a lot of greebles for a set, but this went overboard with them and it's still not enough :tongue:.

Fantastic job on it mortesv, there's such a lot to do on it (especialy the underside) it might be better off making your own.

Thanks for the comments :sweet: In the end I must say that I'm happier with my SSD now, than before (this round of) modding :wink:

Very nice now get 10174 out and mod that like it deserves!

Hehe good one :wink: I actually like my 10174 - even though angles and proportions are off. Modding that will require some thought, perhaps one day :sweet:

By the way - totally lucky guess you made - saying I had a 10174 :laugh:

Very nice improvement! clapping.gif

Where will you store that monster?

It stands perfectly in my wide window sill - the darkening drapes are always closed :wink:

6645978023_35edac1075_z.jpg

Rise... and shine!

6645979295_0d8bf03c32_z.jpg

Lego roasting in the morning sun :tongue:

You've really made all the 'right' mods to this set. When pictures of 10221 were first leaked, two of the biggest complaints relating to the build were the flat bottom and the lack of interesting greeble, both of which you have tackled and corrected. But I suppose nothing less is to be expected from someone who does their homework as thoroughly as you seem to do. :thumbup: You've even corrected the length deficiency of the included MINI Imperator (though I calculated 14 studs...using the 17.6km length, that is :wink:).

I don't mind the stepped plates at all – it seems like the most logical choice with stability in mind, and it's certainly better than a flat bottom. Replacing the rectangular plates with wedges was another step in the right direction, and the difference is appreciable in a side-by-side comparison.

The detailing on the engine bank has to be the biggest and most significant improvement. :wub: The relative lack of greeble in that area was my initial gripe about this set, especially since the original 282cm miniature trounces any other model in kitbashed detail. With all the small parts on both models it's nearly impossible for all the bits to match up, but your mod more than looks the part. :thumbup:

And lastly:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

I suggest you get used to seeing this, because I intend to blog every single one of your superb UCS mods! :sweet:

Which leads me to ask this: which will you be tackling next? I assume you've seen Brian Tobin's lovely setmod/custom hybrids of 10129 and 10134 – being a huge fan of his work I look forward to seeing your own take on those sets. Your aforementioned 10019 is of interest to me as well, especially being familiar with lowlead's Sundered Heart mod...

Thanks Fallen - You make me... :blush:

You've even corrected the length deficiency of the included MINI Imperator (though I calculated 14 studs...using the 17.6km length, that is :wink:).

Here we go again :wink: There is a lot of discussion regarding the length of the Executor - everything from 8km, 12,8km, 17,6km and 19km. According to Lucasfilm the 19km length is canon - and the one that is represented on the specs sticker - thus that is the one I go with ( although I am aware of the 17,6 arguments :classic: )

Regarding the 10129 and 10134 - I have seen Brians work - and I'm also a big fan :blush: I have begun crudely modding those myself, but has so far been limited to only using the stock parts - I need to order more bricks :classic: Thus my mods are somewhat unfinished and not really shareable at the moment

Next, I will be posting my 10019 mod. That mod addresses some of the the problems with the (wait for it...) engines, but not all - since then it would probably turn into a MOC :wink:

Included in the next post will also be a little surprise :laugh:

Edited by mortesv

Rise... and shine!

Pretty cool shot!

The principal reason that I'll never buy a set this size is because I wouldn't have where to put it after assembled :sceptic:.

6645979295_0d8bf03c32_z.jpg

Lego roasting in the morning sun :tongue:

Noooo!!! Get it out of the sun! :tongue:

My Executor is still sitting in its box, but it saddens me to know it won't have the same excellent modifications yours has when I get around to building it.

6645978023_35edac1075_z.jpg

Rise... and shine!

If that glow was above the SSD that would be a beautiful shot mortesv :classic:.

My Executor is still sitting in its box, but it saddens me to know it won't have the same excellent modifications yours has when I get around to building it.

Well, you could choose to mod it :wink:

I would be happy to help out, when/if you decide to do it :classic:

If that glow was above the SSD that would be a beautiful shot mortesv :classic:.

I tried that :wink: This was what I got:

6647265545_1f4a8ff2a6_z.jpg

Something's burning?! :grin::oh3:

I like the engine mods you made. I am currently working on fixing the flat bottom but am waiting for LEGO to restock the stock of wedge plates. Thank you for sharing and I plan to incorporate some of your ideas into my model.