kyphur

LDraw MOC: My EMD F7 (New Gray) Project

Honestly I'm still struggling with the decision to stay 6 wide or go 8 wide for trains running on my layout. If I go 8 wide then I can make some amazing versions of my favorite trains but it would mean no Official TLG Sets on my rails.

For my MOCs I've decided to go with 7-wide. It opens the door to more detailed models; plus it's a special challenge to build in odd-wide dimensions. The 7-wide trains are not so overwhelming with respect to the official LEGO sets as 8-wide can be. The problem with the official sets is not so much the width diference but rather the level of detail. For that, I can't really blame the designers. Pierre Normandin is a LEGO designer and a member of my LUG (QueLUG). Last year, he brought over a copy of his 3677: Red Cargo Train to our winter meeting. When I talked to him about it, what really struck me the most was that he had to "simplify" his design over and over again to meet LEGO's marketing requirements.

However, for my FP-7 project, I decided to stick with 6-wide because I want to mix in my heavily-modified Metroliner cars. In the early days of VIA Rail, when CP and CN were transfering their passenger stock to VIA, there was often a mish-mash of liveries thrown together in a consist.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

For my MOCs I've decided to go with 7-wide. It opens the door to more detailed models; plus it's a special challenge to build in odd-wide dimensions. The 7-wide trains are not so overwhelming with respect to the official LEGO sets as 8-wide can be.

Yeah, in MLCad I've remade the Super Chief Loco in 7 wide... I could see 6 & 7 wide trains co-existing on my rails without problem.

For me the biggest issue is building stable train bases. With 8 wide you can use the 6 wide bases and just make the first layer 2 wide plates to widen each side by 1 and slap plates under the overlap to match the train base profile.

I think I might be able to squeeze a PF Pole Reverser and second PF Train Motor into the A-Unit's design for someone who doesn't want a B-Unit but does want more pulling power.

I am also in the process of collecting bley parts to build these locos since I have decided not to open my MISB copy. My intention was to add a second motor in the front making room to route the pf leads thru the front of the engine under the cab and thus being able to operate the two motors directly together.

My intention was to add a second motor in the front making room to route the pf leads thru the front of the engine under the cab and thus being able to operate the two motors directly together.

If you look at my cut-away images you'll see that the pole reverser fits with room to spare. The advantage of turning the motor around is to reduce the chance of it binding up as the train negotiates curves.

For me the biggest issue is building stable train bases. With 8 wide you can use the 6 wide bases and just make the first layer 2 wide plates to widen each side by 1 and slap plates under the overlap to match the train base profile.

There are a number of ways to build stable 7 wide bases. My preferred option for carriages is six wide plates beside 1 wide plates for the base, followed by 2 wide plates on each side for the next layer. This allows the trucks/bogies to be attached with 2x2 turntables since the studs will fit within the anti studs on the train base.

WOW, awesome work! I wasnt collecting LEGO at the time the Super Chief was released so i missed out on picking up a set for the original price. I'd love to add your designs to the lay out that im building.

I should receive the BrickLink order with the rest of the parts needed to build both Engines sometime next week.

Once it arrives I'll have them built in a day or two.

Then I'll be able to confirm that they are structurally stable and can finish the instructions for those who are waiting.

Sorry for the delay in getting to this point, Real Life has been interfering a lot lately...

Sorry for the delay in getting to this point, Real Life has been interfering a lot lately...

Real life comes first.

Here is the EMD-F7A Unit in REAL BRICKS!

6773343312_0d42921479_z.jpg

I haven't installed the PF components yet, the Motors are dummies. All I'm missing are the decorative sides for the PF Train Motors in Light Bluish-Gray (I ordered a dozen from Australia).

Total cost for parts (not counting the Light Bluish-Gray Couplers, PF Motor Decorative Sides and PF Gear) was just about $60!

Edited by kyphur

Looks good - and those porthole windows dont look too bad either!. Is the windscreen the trans-dark part from the 3677 Cargo train? Certainly the trans-dark helps emphasise the interiors more.

Looks good - and those porthole windows dont look too bad either!. Is the windscreen the trans-dark part from the 3677 Cargo train? Certainly the trans-dark helps emphasise the interiors more.

Yep, that windscreen from 3677 works well for the NEW Super Chief.

I'm kicking around a design for brick-built 2 x 3 Doors to replace the old Gray ones...

Here is the EMD-F7A Unit in REAL BRICKS!

6773343312_0d42921479_z.jpg

I haven't installed the PF components yet, the Motors are dummies. All I'm missing are the decorative sides for the PF Train Motors in Light Bluish-Gray (I ordered a dozen from Australia).

Total cost for parts (not counting the Light Bluish-Gray Couplers, PF Motor Decorative Sides and PF Gear) was just about $60!

What an amazing beauty! :blush:

wooo....this is cool...!

Just got a fire brigade for myself ytd..hope can spare some time for your trains soon lol

Edited by clcwong

What an amazing beauty! :blush:
wooo....this is cool...!

Just got a fire brigade for myself ytd..hope can spare some time for your trains soon lol

Looking really good, can't wait to build one of my own! :classic:

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I'll be reworking the MLCad Files and hopefully have building instructions available in a week or so. I will include an alternate 2x3 door design using brick-built doors.

I don't think the motors being all black looks bad, it might even be worth making the structure on the front of the front body in black instead of gray also. I know the bluish-gray couplers and train motor decorative sides are expensive and honestly if they're all black it's not bad. Besides, I pretty much wiped-out the supply of those parts on BrickLink in preparation for this project. The instructions will have them in black.

Hi there,

just found your post. It's amazing. Are the building instructions out yet?

Regards, RaGo

I also would like a copy if they are done, even if they are rough it woul help me