kyphur

LDraw MOC: My EMD F7 (New Gray) Project

6642105939_600c440e69_z.jpg

My EMD F7 (New Gray) Project

This is my project to update TLG's EMD F7 Locomotive.

First I will create New Gray Versions of the Engines (Power Units).

The A Unit will be designed to use a single PF Train Motor.

The B Unit will be designed to use two PF Train Motors.

My personal copy will use light gray for the bogies & buffers but you can make them all black to save money.

After the Engines are finished I will move on the the 5 official Santa Fe Cars.

Once the Official Cars Sets are updated I will create a Pleasure Dome Car to accompany the set.

Note that I''m not trying to reinvent this classic train, just update it. There will be some tweaks & changes but don't expect anything mind-blowing.

When I'm done I'll provide BrickLink XML Files for Wanted List Uploading . You'll get one file for each model (a total of 8) and I'll also provide a single file with all of the parts needed to build the complete set (one of each model).

BTW, I do realize I need to find a suitable replacement for the "Doors, 1 x 3 x 2 Left & Right".

Edited by CopMike

Sounds like a great project, I will follow this closely! The picture looks sweet!

When I'm done I'll provide BrickLink XML Files for Wanted List Uploading . You'll get one file for each model (a total of 8) and I'll also provide a single file with all of the parts needed to build the complete set (one of each model).

Fantastic work, I'm waiting for this huge project! :classic:

Awesome. I'll definitely like to try creating a set based off your project.

Edited by puma1824

We should also make stickers for that. I like it very much!

I would be ecstatic if you made reproductions of all of the Santa Fe Set Stickers (10020, 10022 & 10025) and a few extras like the Santa Fe Indian Head Logo (both Left & Right) in the proper size to fit on a 1 x 12 brick.

I would be ecstatic if you made reproductions of all of the Santa Fe Set Stickers (10020, 10022 & 10025) and a few extras like the Santa Fe Indian Head Logo (both Left & Right) in the proper size to fit on a 1 x 12 brick.

Anyone know where we can get a file to provide a sticker retailer/seller? I know of a few places that can print them but I would need to provide the files / pics.

kyphur - How are the plans coming along? Would you be willing to release the plans as each section is completed? It would great if I can start gathering bricks and start building :)

Would you be willing to release the plans as each section is completed? It would great if I can start gathering bricks and start building :)

Sure, I don't expect to have the first model ready for about a month though. It will be the Locomotive (A Unit). When it's ready to go there will also be building instructions.

Have you considered 2x3x2 containers

Yep, they would work great if I wasn't wanting to be able to comfortably fit all of the Power Functions bits inside the A & B Units.

I see TLG has updated the 2 x 3 doors! I have several in Old Gray to use for the time being so I just might leave them in place and hope they are released in New Light Gray soon.

I have rebuilt my Old Gray EMD-F7B unit, elongated it by 2 studs and made the design changes I wanted (fixed roof, hidden power button etc).

I found a few flaws in the MLCad Design which have been corrected, I just need a few parts (waiting for that last BrickLink order) to close it up and call the build finished and post the pics.

Tonight I'll transfer the build changes over to the New Gray model and tweak the file for instructions.

I'm still reworking the A-Unit (Locomotive) but hope to have it finished this week so I can prep the MLCad Model for instructions next weekend.

I think I might be able to squeeze a PF Pole Reverser and second PF Train Motor into the A-Unit's design for someone who doesn't want a B-Unit but does want more pulling power.

Once I have generated instructions for both Engines I'll post them here.

Can't wait to do a copy from you.

I love your designs so much...!

Wanted one of the santa fe long time ago but I missed it. Don't know how much it cost to get the full set of trains from your new re-deisgn? Did you estimate it yet?

By the mean time, I will build my Emerald Night tonight =]

Wanted one of the santa fe long time ago but I missed it.

Don't know how much it cost to get the full set of trains from your new re-deisgn?

Did you estimate it yet?

A lot of people missed out on the Super Chief for many different reasons, I simply wasn't into trains while it was available. Luckily for me I was selling of a substantial LEGO Star Wars collection last year which afforded me the luxury of purchasing The Chief and all five Cars at their currently inflated prices.

I have no idea how much the complete set will cost but I can tell you that I've priced out the B-Unit on bricklink and without going to much effort to compare sellers looking for the best deal on parts it looks like the 300+ parts will run about $60 for that set. Considering I spent over $300 on the Old Gray version I'd say that's a substantial savings.

A lot of people missed out on the Super Chief for many different reasons, I simply wasn't into trains while it was available. Luckily for me I was selling of a substantial LEGO Star Wars collection last year which afforded me the luxury of purchasing The Chief and all five Cars at their currently inflated prices.

I have no idea how much the complete set will cost but I can tell you that I've priced out the B-Unit on bricklink and without going to much effort to compare sellers looking for the best deal on parts it looks like the 300+ parts will run about $60 for that set. Considering I spent over $300 on the Old Gray version I'd say that's a substantial savings.

That's great for 60! Big saving and I guess will be a more better design indeed =]

Can't wait to see.

This few month I already bought a few trains and others...

and just got Green Grocer..

Thinking to do the Crane with the Maersk train, but the crane is so hard to get all the pieces...and cost a lot @@"

UPDATE:

Designs for the 2 engines are complete!

This is the Flicker Set where I'll be posting Renders (and later images of real brick versions) of the Final Designs.

Here are three-quarters views of the two Engines:

6738870011_7c556e339b.jpg

6739197415_3ec193746d.jpg

Note that both units are designed for PF powering 2 PF Train Motors!

See these Cutaways for the details:

6738869951_2f387138a3_z.jpg

6739197471_24c62534bd_z.jpg

Both units are designed for use with the LiPo Battery so the roofs aren't removable. Also I decided to leave the Doors 1 x 3 x 2 in Old Gray for the time being as I see TLG has a new version of this and I'm hoping to see it in Blue-Gray soon.

The roof contains a concealed Power button and a small removable section that allows easy removal of the button for access to charge the LiPo Battery.

You'll notice I've opted to use Train Wheels for the roof vents after seeing Tearloch do this on his BNSF. Of course I'll remove the o-rings on the physical models.

If you use Black Buffer Beams & Motor Decorative Sides you can save a lot of money on parts.

I've been able to order all of the parts for both units at a cost of about $130.

I need to clean-up the MLCad files before I can render instructions.

Edited by kyphur

This is a great work, but are you sure that this train need four motors?

It won't. The reason I've setup both the A & B Units to be able to handle 2 PF Motors is to give anyone who wants to build this the option of powering either of the Units (or both if they want a really long train).

I haven't decided which unit will have the power in my copy... I'm leaning towards the A Loco because while you'd never see a B Unit pulling a tain alone an A unit sure could.

Absolutely love it :) And looking forward to the rest of the set too :) Looks great! :thumbup:

Here are the 2 Engines together:

6742603453_985247e2df_z.jpg

6742596569_5846150725_z.jpg

Edited by kyphur

Awesome. Are the build plans available? :)

I just need to spend the time cleaning-up the MLCad Files before I can generate building instructions. I will publish instructions for the 2 engines before I start on the cars.

It won't. The reason I've setup both the A & B Units to be able to handle 2 PF Motors is to give anyone who wants to build this the option of powering either of the Units (or both if they want a really long train).

I haven't decided which unit will have the power in my copy... I'm leaning towards the A Loco because while you'd never see a B Unit pulling a tain alone an A unit sure could.

Correct! :thumbup:

Thanks for the answer! :classic:

Not to steal your thunder, but I've also been recreating LEGO's iconic North American passenger set in MLCad (and eventually in the brick). I'm a bit more radical in that I'm also changing the colors to more readily available (thus cheaper) colors. I chose to use VIA Rail's colors; blue, yellow and black. VIA Rail is Canada's national passenger train service, sort of like AmTrak in the USA.

So, without further ado here are some drawings of the locomotive:

6782068735_5f71b859f4_b.jpg

MLCad version of FP-7 loco based on LEGO's Santa Fe Super Chief. Certain more recent parts have been used for a smoother profile. Designed to integrate Power Function components. The yellow 4x1x3 panels in the center are for the VIA logo. Blue vinyl cutouts will complete the logo.

6782068803_dd5db3ae76_b.jpg

Cutaway showing internal components. I felt that LEGO's prime mover for the Super Chief was just too plain. The prime mover design I used is not mine; it is by Chris van Lottum (railbricks.com/instructions/prime-mover).

6782068883_10790805e4_b.jpg

Cutaway showiing Power Function components. Something is wrong in my MLCad color definitions so the dark bluish-gray parts ended up transparent but you can still get the general idea.

As for the passenger waggons, I've only done the series II cars so far. Here they are in VIA Rail colors;

6782396095_fbcf35537e_b.jpg

6782396245_534467a4cf_b.jpg

6782396179_b3d9d3c890_b.jpg

In addition to the series I cars, I'm hoping to add a pleasure dome as well.

The biggest question I have right now is if I should build the cars as closely as possible to LEGO's original models or if I should customize them even further. Let me know what you think.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

The biggest question I have right now is if I should build the cars as closely as possible to LEGO's original models or if I should customize them even further. Let me know what you think.

Hi Dan-147,

:thumbup: wow! :thumbup: Your FP7 engine is stunning! The cars as well. If you ask me there is absolutely no need to build closely as possible to the original, in contrast. Your version has already convinced me to change my own FP7 along your line. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Best regards,

Thorsten

Dan,

Part of the point of this project (for me) is to replicate as close as possible the original LEGO designs with only minor tweaks (like the Cabin Doors on the Loco) as homage to the original Super Chief Series by LEGO. I have always planned to built variant color schemed versions of at least the Loco.

Don't let the limits I've imposed upon my project hamper your creativity.

Honestly I'm still struggling with the decision to stay 6 wide or go 8 wide for trains running on my layout. If I go 8 wide then I can make some amazing versions of my favorite trains but it would mean no Official TLG Sets on my rails.