Sign in to follow this  
drakke

MOC: The road that crosses the valley

Hi, this is my first MOC.

The road to the valley is protected by a couple of experienced forestmen, that serve as watchmen and explorers for the black falcons and all the inhabitants of the valley. A wolfpack group tries to raid the valley, until they fall into a trap. Will the forestmen stop them for enough time so the valley is prepared?

6641604567_e5ef1fd2b1_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pese22/sets/72157628732159767/with/6641604567/

I know its not really great, and I used almost all of the pieces that I own, so it was impossible to add more details that I would have liked. I also used one official set og lego (6054), which really fitted well there(I like that set too much, cant deny it!) Anyways, got a lot of ideas from other MOCS at flickr, so credit where it is due.

Any ideas? I know its my first MOC and needs a lot of improvement, criticism welcome!

Hi, this is my first MOC.

The road to the valley is protected by a couple of experienced forestmen, that serve as watchmen and explorers for the black falcons and all the inhabitants of the valley. A wolfpack group tries to raid the valley, until they fall into a trap. Will the forestmen stop them for enough time so the valley is prepared?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pese22/sets/72157628732159767/with/6641604567/

I know its not really great, and I used almost all of the pieces that I own, so it was impossible to add more details that I would have liked. I also used one official set og lego (6054), which really fitted well there(I like that set too much, cant deny it!) Anyways, got a lot of ideas from other MOCS at flickr, so credit where it is due.

Any ideas? I know its my first MOC and needs a lot of improvement, criticism welcome!

Not a bad start.

You look like you have the idea down, just need to add the details. I know you said you used most your bricks But some plant pieces and more landscaping will help bring it to life as will some details. Prehaps a another barrel or two or wagon wheel leaning on one of the buildings.

If you havent seen it yet, check out Defrel Cadarn guide in the pinned topics, he covers all types of things including landscaping and building techniques.

Finally, try building a small scene, maybe just a farm or one of the towers. that way you could use all your bricks in a smaller setting and it will give you more options. here is a small one I came up with and it doesn't use many bricks at all. mostly just the foliage and a brick built stag.

Overall good start! keep at it and look forward to seeing more builds!

I agree, it's a good start and ready to be detailed and have flourishes added to it! See the mentioned guide for more help.

I have to say, I do kind of like it without all the landscaping details that the others have been suggesting. Your scene reminds me a lot of the old classic castle product catalogs, which would have very basic, minimally landscaped scenes. So, if you're going for a classic castle inspired MOC, I think you've got it.

I have to say, I do kind of like it without all the landscaping details that the others have been suggesting. Your scene reminds me a lot of the old classic castle product catalogs, which would have very basic, minimally landscaped scenes.

I agree. I think the somewhat minimalist approach to landscaping is a nice deviation from the usual abundant greenery and detailing in AFOL MOCs. It really brings to mind the old catalogue pics, as you said. And it's not like there are no landscaping, cause there is – like the small underground stream running into the pond, a great detail made with a simple design and very common pieces. Not that a few small green plates wouldn't be nice to make the ground rise more naturally in some places, or dark grey plates instead of black for the road, but other than that I don't think the MOC would really benefit that much from more parts. Sometimes less is more. :sweet:

I was going to say it looked very classic castle with how it was set up. Interesting that others had the same idea.

Lots of foliage looks good at times, but not everywhere is overgrown and superbly green. There are fields without lots of foliage. I would recommend making the transition of different levels a little better with different bricks, but all in all a very good MOC.

Good addition to the BURPs with the other pieces. Helps blend them a little.

Keep up the MOCs.

For your first MOC, you did a great job. The landscape is really well done. I like the rock formation. Some advice, I'd give more details to the river. Make it look as though it's moving. There's some great examples on here, too. Personally, I can't help you with it. :look:

Edited by Legocrazy81

I really enjoy it. It's nice to see someone incorporate the "classic" Lego sets along with the figures into a MOC.

Thanks a lot for the support and also for the ideas/things you would change, helps a lot! It really encourages me to keep trying out new things. In the next few days Im getting 6074 Black Falcons Fortress (beautifull gift!) and I will try to make a new "MOC" (Not really a Moc cause I mainly add new scenery and a little bit of lanscape to official lego sets) and I hope it goes out well enough.

The idea behind it will be as one of the main fortresses in the valley, and the life surrounding it, beyond the mentioned road.

Again,thanks!