Gabe

Kaliphlian fishing boat

Fishing is an important livlihood around the coastal areas of Kaliphlin, at both a subsinstance and a commercial level. Outriggers like this one are very common for fishing and pleasure cruising in Peregrinus - many families either own or have access to such a boat.

fishingboat1eb_050112.jpg

fishingboat7eb_050112.jpg

fishingboat5eb_050112.jpg

fishingboat4eb_050112.jpg

fishingboat8eb_050112.jpg

Looks like our crew have a decent catch already! :classic:

This build was pretty much constucted around a technique that i saw a while ago on Malte Dorowski's MOCpages homepage, where he used lots of clips and flex tubing to create subtle curves on his Porche models. I was messing about with ways to construct small boats at the time and thought i'd give it a try. I chose the traditional Sri Lankan outrigger as my departure point as i love their elegant design and i thought they'd fit right into the Kaliphlian fleet! :wink:

I originally wanted to have a forced perspective view of Audax Arazi (the island off the east coast of Peregrinus) in the distance, but for one reason or another it didn't quite come together and i scrapped it. I might go back and have another go at it, perhaps after Brickvention (which is only 2 weeks away now - argh, better get my display finished!).

Thanks for looking peeps! :classic:

~

Love the look of the water. Looks like some rough seas and big swells! How did you make your sail? Did you weather it or is it a patterned material?

Love the look of the water. Looks like some rough seas and big swells! How did you make your sail? Did you weather it or is it a patterned material?

Yes, the deep water off the east coast of Peregrinus has the best fishing grounds, but the weather can certainly be unpredictable! :wink:

Ah, the sail - well, i had a bit of a struggle with it, tbh and the battered look it has pretty much reflects that. :laugh: I've heard of ppl dyeing thier sail cloth with black coffee, but i only drink tea so initially i tried that. I left it soaking for half an hour but it didn't do much, so i decided instead to coat the sail in diluted PVA glue and then paint it with a wash of acrylic paint (burnt umber, to be precise). The PVA bit went very well, i left it to dry over my fitness ball, which meant it dried in a "billowing" shape, and the stripes on the sail were from the impression on the ball as well. But the wash was less successful as the PVA coverage was a bit uneven, which led to the paint blotching on the areas with less PVA. So i spent quite a bit of time trying to rinse out the worst of the blotching and then tone it down further with a coat of white acrylic paint. :hmpf: (Maybe i'll just ask my housemate for some of his coffee next time i try this!)

Stunning!!!

Thanks fellow guildsman! :classic:

Wow! This is fabulous. I certainly didn't expect something this cool when I clicked on a 'fishing boat' post. The design of the boat is great and I really like the masts and sail. But what puts it over the top are the awesome waves! Having built a sand dune recently for an MOC, I appreciate how much work and how many bricks those waves take. That's a seriously large number of medium-blue slopes! BTW, it may not have been easy, but I think the sail turned out very well.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture showing a close-up of the boat's main hull? I can't really see all the details of the construction in any of the shots. Maybe it's just my aging eyes... There's a closeup of the outrigger in one shot, but the main hull is a bit of out-of-focus in that one.

Nice! Besides the well-built boat, I like the waves very much! No wait, I love them! :wub:

Hmmm, well now I just want to scrap the boat I have been working on out of shame, this is fantastic!

I love the feel of this vessel and the waves are excellent. Great job! The sea monster is funny too. I don't think I have ever seen that many blue slopes in one place...

One question, and it really doesn't matter as this is a good looking boat, but do catamarans normally have two masts? Yours looks awesome, and even if they don't of course this could be specifically Kaliphlin in style, I was wondering from a historic perspective, as I don't remember the answer myself.

One question, and it really doesn't matter as this is a good looking boat, but do catamarans normally have two masts? Yours looks awesome, and even if they don't of course this could be specifically Kaliphlin in style, I was wondering from a historic perspective, as I don't remember the answer myself.

The outrigger and the double mast go very well together -- it's mostly a Pacific-islanders style. Search on "outrigger sailing canoe", and you'll see tons of examples.

Examples:

Pjoa2.jpg

uluahaw2.jpg

Those waves are really great!! It really looks like the fishermen have to fight for their life to catch those fishes! The boat is also very well done! Love the net hanging between the boats!

It has great motion on the sea, magnificent technic used, good choose of colors and interesting design on the boat.

Just have to ask where is Kevin Costner? :tongue:

Amazing MOC! The boat itself is top-notch, but the added aspects certainly add to its grandour. There's a great sense of motion going in this scene, well captured :thumbup: . As I noted in your flickr photostream, I really like the use of the microfig on the prow. Reminds me of some token to invoke the blessing of the gods.

Very good MOC, it captures the kaliphlin style greatly :) the stingray guy cracked me up

Wow! Those waves are spectacular, and the way the hulls fit into them is mind-boggling. Love the sail too. The one thing I think would make this even more amazing would be to have some spray coming from the prow and some ripples at the stern, she looks to be under full sail. I hope the fleet never catches sharkmen by mistake!

Amazing. :wub:

:classic:

Wow, i didn't expect so many lovely comments so quickly! Thankyou everyone, i'm glad that you like my little tempest-tost boat. :blush:

Wow! This is fabulous. I certainly didn't expect something this cool when I clicked on a 'fishing boat' post. The design of the boat is great and I really like the masts and sail. But what puts it over the top are the awesome waves! Having built a sand dune recently for an MOC, I appreciate how much work and how many bricks those waves take. That's a seriously large number of medium-blue slopes! BTW, it may not have been easy, but I think the sail turned out very well.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture showing a close-up of the boat's main hull? I can't really see all the details of the construction in any of the shots. Maybe it's just my aging eyes... There's a closeup of the outrigger in one shot, but the main hull is a bit of out-of-focus in that one.

Heh, yeah, it is a serious amount of blue slopes, it's true! I did a proof of concept design for a wave in the middle of last year and it turned out very well, so i went and bought a heap of second hand blue bricks with the intention of doing a scene like this. This is the first time i've cracked them all out and i have to say, i'm rather pleased with the result! Although the coverage of the bricks never go as far as you want them to... i would have thought i'd have enough for 3 baseplates coverage at least, but i was running out of certain slopes already by the time i was done here. Back to BL before i do a really big ocean scene i guess... :sceptic:

Here is the best pic of the main hull that i have atm - the waves do hide quite a bit of it unfortunately. but it does give you an idea of the V-shaped structure of it and how the cuved bow is achieved. I'll prob be taking this apart soon for my main BV display, but i'll take some more pics of the boat on it's own before i do. :classic:

fishingboat3eb_050112.jpg

Hmmm, well now I just want to scrap the boat I have been working on out of shame, this is fantastic!

I love the feel of this vessel and the waves are excellent. Great job! The sea monster is funny too. I don't think I have ever seen that many blue slopes in one place...

Nooo, don't scrap your boat, Kaliphlin needs more boats! Also i love seeing everyone's different boat designs, especially with respect to sails and rigging etc. :sweet:

As NM says, many traditional outriggers have twin masts. I based mine on traditional Sri Lankan fishing vessels and they have this particular mast/sail configuration. :classic:

Those waves are really great!! It really looks like the fishermen have to fight for their life to catch those fishes! The boat is also very well done! Love the net hanging between the boats!

Thanks, i think my favourite part is the net trampoline hanging between the 2 hulls - great to see it getting some love! :blush:

It has great motion on the sea, magnificent technic used, good choose of colors and interesting design on the boat.

Just have to ask where is Kevin Costner? :tongue:

Ahaha, all Peregrinian fishermen have Lord Sansael's express authority to spear the bugger for crimes against cinema, should he be so encountered! :wink:

Amazing MOC! The boat itself is top-notch, but the added aspects certainly add to its grandour. There's a great sense of motion going in this scene, well captured :thumbup: . As I noted in your flickr photostream, I really like the use of the microfig on the prow. Reminds me of some token to invoke the blessing of the gods.

Thanks Khorne, i did have a similar thing in mind. We have a huge Mazu statue here in Melbourne (on the Maribyrnong river) , so i thought that i would like to build some similar sea deity shrine for Peregrinus as well - it would make sense that seafarers would carry a small carven image of thier protector before them to guide them safely home again.

Wow! Those waves are spectacular, and the way the hulls fit into them is mind-boggling. Love the sail too. The one thing I think would make this even more amazing would be to have some spray coming from the prow and some ripples at the stern, she looks to be under full sail. I hope the fleet never catches sharkmen by mistake!

Amazing. :wub:

:classic:

Thanks robuko! Fitting the boat to the waves was the hardest/most frustrating part i think. The number of times the trampoline fell apart as i removed the boat to tinker underneath it to get a better fit! :hmpf: I did think a bit about adding more spray btw, but it didn't seem quite right as the boat is in the trough and generally you'd get the most visible spray when cresting a wave. I agree that some ripples at the stern might have been a nice addition though. :thumbup:

To me the Atlantis creatures are like the pixies of the ocean - seldom seen and quite often mischieveous without outright hostility. They might tangle the lines and nets of the fishermen for a laugh, but they would never allow themselves to be caught! :wink:

You ser, never cease to amaze me.

I'm not sure what more I could possibly say that hasn't be said.

Bravo.

You ser, never cease to amaze me.

I'm not sure what more I could possibly say that hasn't be said.

Bravo.

Aw shucks, thankyou, o great guild leader! :wub: Now that i've got this little boat out of the way, i was thinking about going to the other extreme and building a warship... (After BV and my embassy build of course) I haven't yet built a large ship worthy of the name and the challenge is irresistable! :devil:

Edited by gabe