AwesomeTaylor

Review: 10230 Mini Modulars

Not a chance! The parts would not be helpful, and I doubt there would be enough to make even a single floor

Well, there is a chance. But, you'd have to buy so many that it would be cheaper to buy the real thing...

Oh... it would be so cool - you could do something like a LEGO Land for your minifigures!

I went ahead and got this set. I really like minis. At first I was thinking "no way" for $99, but then it turns out it's only $79 in the U.S., and I had the 10% coupon from the front of the last catalog they sent, so it was only about $72. They're obviously not as detailed as the "real" ones, but they are quite good for minis, and I'd like to build a mini city since I don't have room to build a minifig scale train layout at present.

Yeah, I've been thinking about a mini scale town, like smaller scale sets of pre-existing sets and smaller scale sets in general

And I think there was an old town set with a little yellow castle (I assume not a real one in story) with LEGOLand (meaning either Park or theme) with a show on plus a statue of the Proto-Figure which is pretty cool.

That LEGOLand idea sounds sweet. Thanks for the feedback!

I didn't mind at all that this set didn't have thrilling new pieces. They don't all have to, even the pricey ones. This one has 245 1x1 plates! That's thrilling to me, in a world where most sets these days seem to use 1x1 round plates instead default_thumbdown.gif

The best moment building this was when I caught myself staring at the instructions thinking "um, what's next? what's changed in this picture??" Suddenly I felt like a young boy again, befuddled by '70s instructions that don't hand-hold you every tiny step of the way. I made several mistakes too, what a joy! Cursing myself for not paying any attention to the parts list in each step, working backwards to see where I went wrong, pulling apart the model and rebuilding... that's what I call a positive building experience!

But there was a thrilling new piece (for me) in this set, although perhaps it's not its first appearance - the new brick separator. What an improvement on the last one! I love being able to take a jumper sandwiched by bricks off a plate. The axle and tile remover make this a significantly more useful tool.

I got this yesterday. So far I've got CC and MS built and I LOVE these. Right now I can't display my modulars, so this is a nice substitute. I like how they did the removable floors in Market Street. Anyone know why the others didn't get that treatment? The only thing missing is the light posts.

so excited. My best friend went through the trouble of signing up for the VIP to get this set for me for my birthday. So awesome can't wait to build it.

Sorry for such a late post, but good review 'AwesomeTaylor'! :sweet:

I like the quaint design of this set. The price is pretty good, as the modulars are perfectly sized, and the simplistic detail is great. I hope they make a follow up set sometime in the future of the next five modulars! :thumbup:

Edited by just2good

I must be missing the obvious...according to bricklink, including the extra items, there are 1416 pieces in this set, at a retail price of € 69,99. ~ 5 cent per piece seems like very good value to me? If you can get this on sale and perhaps buy multiples this seems to make an excellent parts pack for those in need of a variety of plates, tiles and even a few bricks to boot in some nice colors (especially 1x1 bricks)