Sign in to follow this  
Helfy

Imperial Flagship mod?

I just bought an Imperial Flagship off of ebay recently and decided to build it a second gun deck. I would like to have plenty of crew and marines to man the ship so I decided to build onto it. Problem is that I am rather new to building ships (most of the experience I have had has been with tanks and fantasy stuff). I have bought some parts off of bricklink to help me get started, but I still need more.

Has anyone seen or built a double gun-deck version of the Imperial Flagship? I need some help getting this thing started. I want to make a 6th Rate version of this ship.

Also, would it look better to add another set of cabins under the main one or should I just add gun quarters? Thank you for the help!

Has anyone seen or built a double gun-deck version of the Imperial Flagship? I need some help getting this thing started. I want to make a 6th Rate version of this ship.

Just wanted to point out that a sixth rate only had one gun deck. So, if you're looking to add another full length gun deck on top of what's there it wouldn't really be an accurate sixth rate.

If you really want to make her historically accurate you might want to think about lengthening the ship to add more guns to the existing gun deck then add a weather deck on top of it.

Typically a standard 6th rate would have between 10 and 12 guns a-side on a single deck. (you could add some "extra" long-guns as bow and stern chasers since most captains personally ordered such things)

Just wanted to point out that a sixth rate only had one gun deck. So, if you're looking to add another full length gun deck on top of what's there it wouldn't really be an accurate sixth rate.

If you really want to make her historically accurate you might want to think about lengthening the ship to add more guns to the existing gun deck then add a weather deck on top of it.

Typically a standard 6th rate would have between 10 and 12 guns a-side on a single deck. (you could add some "extra" long-guns as bow and stern chasers since most captains personally ordered such things)

I have started work on it already. What about turning it into a fifth-rate then?

I have started work on it already. What about turning it into a fifth-rate then?

I don't think it's really important to keep the gun configurations realistic, just by building off of the IFS the design's already not realistic (the multi-color colorscheme, the "frames" jutting out . . .). Besides, it can look really good with an unrealistic design, like on the Dauntless.

But to answer your question, a fifth-rate has only one full gundeck so for two you'd have to go with at least a fourth rate, which is a minimum of fifty guns. That would mean some major expansion, which is why I think you should just build however you like and disregard the RN rating system. :pir-sweet:

My issue would be to simply lenghten the ship a bit (1 or 2 hull pieces) and add gunports on the lower deck (the actual gundeck), heighten the walls a bit on the weather deck, make gunports into them and put guns on top of it.

That gives you a nice 5th or 4th rate (depending if you count the weather deck with guns as a second gundeck or not...)

Since i dont have the ship gon try to make it with LDDextended to show you what i think of...

P.S. you should also add an aditional mast