eliminator

3739 Blacksmith Shop

So, I was browsing Brickset and came across this gem from 2002; set 3739 Blacksmith Shop. Looks like a great set and will go great with my Medieval Market Village and Mill Village Raid.

Although an original can be very pricey, you can part one out on Bricklink for under $100. I just ordered the hundred or so parts that I needed to build it.

Just though I'd mention it since I never even heard of this set till now.

3739-1.jpg

3739b.jpg

Also, instructions on Lego.com: http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/4177128.pdf

Yes, one of the first fan build sets Lego put out. I have one and love it and it is one of those sets I leave on display. It definitely is one of the milestones in the castle line.

We finally got one earlier this year. So exciting! It was the final blacksmith shop for us to get. Now we have all the Castle blacksmiths plus my own MOC version. I really hope LEGO does more medieval stores/town life.

I never knew about this either, that's cool. It definitely is pricey on eBay...wow. You could definitely turn that into something else.

The only parts that don't look common to me are the green car roof used for the windows, everything else seem made of fairly common pieces... I think it shouldn't be too difficult to recreate this sets! With 622 pieces, you can probably make it yourself for ~50e.

I bought this jewel 4 years ago I think. For about $40 including box and instructions. :wink: It´s a beauty! The only set that I have assembled in my Lego room! :wub:

I´m not too sold on the jumbled color scheme or the heavily armored blacksmith, but that can be modified, and civilian buildings are rare as it is.

I would guess it was chosen based on piece count, difficulty of build, playability, and other practical considerations for TLG, which have little to do with what I as an end user see in the set.

Does anyone know any details? Why was it chosen to be produced, anything about the contest or how was it chosen, any runners-up?

Looking over the instructions, if I were to piece this out in bricklink, there's some pieces one could leave out to soften the blow to the wallet. Like the bat and spider obviously aren't necessary to the build. The 1x1 cylinders with fire and the 1x1 cones aren't necessary. It's also nice to have a piece call out in the instructions.

Looking over the instructions, if I were to piece this out in bricklink, there's some pieces one could leave out to soften the blow to the wallet. Like the bat and spider obviously aren't necessary to the build. The 1x1 cylinders with fire and the 1x1 cones aren't necessary. It's also nice to have a piece call out in the instructions.

yea, and you can save a couple of cents per piece by going for the new grey and dark grey instead of the old. I have the parts to make it with the old greys, but I'm going to use the newer colours so it matches MMV and MVR.

Does anyone know any details? Why was it chosen to be produced, anything about the contest or how was it chosen, any runners-up?

Some info here: http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/siskind001.html

"Blacksmith Shop was released on March 30th, 2000 by Daniel Siskind. This stone and timber frame building had a blacksmith shop on the lower floor. It had a forge with bellows, a weapons rack, and an anvil. The upper living quarters contained a bed, table, chairs, spinning wheel, chest, and a fireplace. A blacksmith, his wife, and various accessories are included.

In 2001, LEGO negotiated a licensing agreement with Dan to make his set into 3739 Blacksmith Shop. It was their first set in the "My Own Creations" line in 2002. The product designers modified the interior furnishings but the exterior remained close to the original."

Building Siskind's Blacksmith Shop from my old parts and BL ordered supplements was more or less my first project as an AFOL. This and MMV simply caught my breath when I saw pictures of them in Brickset and I instantly wanted to build my own medieval village.

I don't think I saw any pictures of Siskind's original build before I completed my own project, only of the set as it was sold by Lego, so it's just an accident that while mostly following the official instructions I made some modifications to the interior that actually countered Lego's redesign. I did keep the attic though, I think it is a nice addition, but I added a ladder so that it can be achieve by the inhabitants. :tongue: I'm planning to change the roof from blue to brown someday, but that would recquire some more BL orders...

In some ways I like the Blacksmith Shop even more than the Medieval Market Village. It is a more simple and classic build, while some details in MMV (mostly in the blue house) tend to be a bit showy and unpractical for my taste. Blacksmith Shop is like a perfection of the 80s/90s design style, when MMV is clearly next generation, from the 2000s.

It is a very neat building. I think it would mesh quite well with the MMV and other MOCs. I have seen this before, but never thought about purchasing it. But building my own version isn't a bad idea.

I do think the roof should be a different color for more realism, but who says Lego needs to be realistic.

This is a very nice set, can't believe I've never seen it before. I'm not a fan of the roof color, but the rest of it is great. I may have to build this tomorrow. :sweet:

I built a model very close to this from the reference images in the first post back when it was released by Lego, though I didn't have any of the stair pieces.

Easily one of my favourite sets so far. :wub:

Yes, one of the first fan build sets Lego put out. I have one and love it and it is one of those sets I leave on display. It definitely is one of the milestones in the castle line.

Do you have a list of the other fan build Lego sets? I'd be very interested to see them.

Do you have a list of the other fan build Lego sets? I'd be very interested to see them.

In Brickset there is a Sets designed by Adults Fans of LEGO bricklist (meaning it has been done by one of the users, not the administrators of the site), but I don't know how good and complete and trustworthy it is. At least some of the sets listed have been designed, I think, by official Lego designers who also happen to be AFOLs in their free time.

In Brickset there is a Sets designed by Adults Fans of LEGO bricklist (meaning it has been done by one of the users, not the administrators of the site), but I don't know how good and complete and trustworthy it is. At least some of the sets listed have been designed, I think, by official Lego designers who also happen to be AFOLs in their free time.

Yeah all of those are correct but I am not 100% sure on the garage and Hobby train sets.

Nice!! Looks great with the red/dark red roof!

I really hope LEGO does more medieval stores/town life.

<<< this so much!!!

Yep I remember seeing this sucker in the old fan catalogues, it's a classic for sure. Definitely one of the best Castle sets ever made.

@ preroller:

It does look better with the red roof and the Harry Potter door, but I preferred the green hinged-roof coverings over the counters. That looked looked like wood painted green, this one kind of merges into the stonework of the ground floor.