Review: 9491 Geonosian Cannon

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Set name: Geonosian Cannon

Set Number: 9491

Pieces:

Figures: 4

Price: £20 (GBP), $20 (USD)

Theme: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Here in the UK, the main SW winter wave is currently available at Argos stores, since Boxing Day. Yesterday, I impulsively bought this set and the new Clone Wars battle pack, two sets that compliment each other pretty well. The Geonosian Cannon is an alien turret that gets five seconds of an appearance in Attack of the Clones, and appears briefly again in The Clone Wars season 2 in the episode Landing at Point Rain. TLG have a habit of making vehicles/machinery that are "blink and you miss", and it is noteworthy that this set is actually a remake of 2003's 4478 Geonosian Fighter set, which included this turret. No worries there though, as this is a big leap of an improvement over that version. I don't have that set, so I can't compare them together I'm afraid. Enough chatter, onto the review.

The Box:

dsc06655.jpg

The new SW box covers have this new headline with Darth Maul's screaming face on it, presumably promoting the 3D release of The Phantom Menace. I'm not a fan of this new design, it looks like Maul is breaking his neck and screaming for an ambulance. The minifigures tab looks cleaner than previous versions, and obviously capitalising on them to sell to the market. They all have a NEW! tag assigned to them. In fairness, the only figures never done in any form are Commander Gree and the zombie. As for the rest, the cannon appears to have fired a missile into the air and missed the targets, while the zombie is charging his laser at Barriss. The zombies didn't use guns in the episode, and I don't see how something that is dead and without a functioning brain can even pick up a gun. And then there are some random red blaster bolts in the background. No SW set box is complete without those, apparently.

dsc06656.jpg

The back just shows the function of the cannon, which can go up and down and fire two flick fires. I like the different perspective images of the set in the bottom right corner, this seems to be new in the SW foray. There is not a single advertisement for other sets, which is an improvement, I prefer to see more imagery of the set I'm holding. Instead of ads, there is a two-panel strip which has Gree shooting a Geonosian and the bugs suddenly retreat, leaving their weapons behind. I think they've been listening to Iron Maiden's Run to the Hills too much.

The Instruction Booklet:

dsc06658.jpg

It's what see on the box. Nothing else to say on the cover.

dsc06663.jpg

In the corner of each page, we are 'treated' to the apparition of Darth Maul and his snapped neck. I prefer the Darth Vader picture we used to get.

dsc06661.jpg

Here is a random page. The steps are too simple, as most of the pages just require you to add one piece. Good for children I guess, but as an adult, it gets tedious to continually flick the page just to add one small piece.

dsc06664.jpg

When you finished, you are greeted with an inventory and this page. Its a repeat of the image on the box's back, and again gives more attention to the minifigures. I guess TLG know what sells and what doesn't....

dsc06666.jpg

Turn the page and you get a nice little comic. It shows Barriss Offee deflecting a massive laser beam back to the Geonosians. I would have thought that a lightsaber isn't large enough to do such a thing, but whatever, TLG have to make sure the good guys win everytime...

dsc06660.jpg

This is the first page, showing you how to Build Barriss and Gree. Notice how the black pieces are given a white outline to make them easier to identify. Good shout.

dsc06659.jpg

The Geonosians are given a separate page. Its quite a fiddly process to fold the wings, but works wonderfully once you've assembled the figures.

The Minifigures:

Each of these figs are simply must-haves, CW fan or not. Only Barriss Offee is the one who wouldn't fit in a standard SW diorama because of her exposed eyes, but the rest are absolutely fine. I'll start with the stars of the set, the Geonosians.

dsc06668.jpg

Their wings are made of transparent acetate with printed wings. You literally pop them out of this sheet and fold them as instructed.

dsc06672.jpg

dsc06670.jpg

Their heads are packaged in seperate bags, they must be made in China. This piece was released last year in the Geonosian Starfighter. The one on the right belongs to the zombie, so its in a stone grey colour with new printing.

dsc06674.jpg

The completed zombie. This is simply awesome. Even the wings are ripped, giving that undead feel. The eyes are chalky white and empty, as a zombie would be. How a zombie can use a gun perplexes me, but I'm glad it was included anyway. Speaking of the gun, it is brick-built using the Collectable minifig space gun as the base. Since the Geonosian are totally alienated from the rest of the galaxy (initially anyway), it makes sense for them to have unique weaponry of their own freakish design. However, the gun should be brown as it is in the movies and series. It's not entirely accurate, but I'm satisfied anyway. Much better than giving him a standard blaster or a megaphone.

dsc06676.jpg

Back view. The back printing is exquisite. The wings really give off that insect vibe.

dsc06678.jpg

The Geonosian Warrior is basically the Geonosian from last year's Geonosian Starfighter set with wings. I don't mind this at all, all the Geonosians looked identical anyway. It's good to have more of them, and I hope they release more Geonosis sets (they probably won't though, at least until the release of 3D AOTC). Another must-have minfig.

dsc06682.jpg

He has back printing too, with immaculate unripped wings. These Geonosian minifigs are far superior to the 2003 versions. TLG have really outdone themselves in regards to minifigs.

dsc06684.jpg

Barriss Offee has been released in a set before, the 2010 Swamp Speeder. That version didn't have the CW eyes. This variant does, however. Well, I've been used to it since 2008, so I don't really care. This figure is great nonetheless. The dark blue hood is a new colour for the piece, so some will be clamouring for that. She has a short blue cape, which is accurate to her CW incarnation. I wouldn't say she was a 'must-have' figure, but she is if you're a sucker for Jedi or don't have the first one. At least you can swap her head with the original if it bugs you that much. She has no back printing, but it's not required for her anyway.

dsc06690.jpg

Commander Gree. He is lush. He's a 'must-have'. Gives some colour to a uniformed force of clone troops. He didn't come with the commander gear, but doesn't wear it in the show anyway. He nicely compliments Captain Rex, Commander Cody, Commander Fox and Commander Wolffe. He has the plain clone face underneath, not worth showing.

dsc06691.jpg

He has back printing, which includes his bandolier and green highlights. Lego certainly aren't skimping out on the fine details.

dsc06694.jpg

Here are the figs together. A great overhaul overall, no repeats, they're all new. It's relieving to see no Anakins or Obi-Wans here.

The Build:

dsc06667.jpg

When you open the box, this all falls out. There are two labelled bags and the wings. No sticker sheet, much to my relief. No printed pieces either though, but I guess they aren't needed for this simple turret anyway.

dsc06669.jpg

The contents of bag one. It's just the figs and the 'nucleus' of the cannon.

dsc06695.jpg

This is the result of bag one. Minimal time, minimal effort. Onto the next one.

dsc06696.jpg

The contents of bag two. Lots of dark and nought brown pieces, MOCers will like that. And some big disc pieces too.

dsc06697.jpg

Here is the first leg of the cannon. Simple design, but works.

dsc06699.jpg

In no time, you've built the other leg and attached them to the base.

dsc06700.jpg

The barrel was a built that consisted of lots of pushing through axles and finger numbing. But the result is worth it, as you've finished the set. I really like it, it is reminiscent of a Shade turret from Halo.

dsc06703.jpg

Side view. The controls are basic, they could have added more detail to the control panel.

dsc06702.jpg

Back view. Again, it looks a bit plain. You push those black pieces to fire the missiles, the only play feature in the set.

dsc06704.jpg

Front view. The missiles detract from the colour scheme, but it doesn't bother me, they can pass off as glowing machinery bits in the cannon.

dsc06707.jpg

Here are the leftovers. Meh.

The Set:

There's only one real play feature, and it's the flick fires. Oh boy, I'm thrilled :hmpf:

dsc06710.jpg

They don't even go far, although the other missile do go out of camera shot. I just ignore flick fires now, or if they're too intrusive, I remove them.

dsc06713.jpg

You can put the Geonosian at the controls. Pew pew!

dsc06705.jpg

The cannon goes up and down. This is the farthest it will go up. It can be used as an anti-air battery.

dsc06714.jpg

The set is really more for role-playing, which is better than overloading it with pointless features and a million missiles. Lets do a realistic version of the comic shown earlier.

dsc06715.jpg

First Separatist victory in years! Finally!

dsc06716.jpg

The zombie stumbles upon some fresh meat...

dsc06717.jpg

Omnomnom.

dsc06718.jpg

The dead walk among the living! And their giant bugs with laser guns! It's like a 50s horror movie!

dsc06719.jpg

Poor Gree never saw it coming...

Final Thoughts:

So, is this worth £20? The set is very small for that price point, but I guess you have to consider factors such as new minifig costs and Lucas tax, so all in all, I think it is worth that price, no more. The figures are outstanding, and there are equal numbers to each side. New Geonosians, there are people who have been waiting years for more of these guys. The cannon is aesthetically pleasing, but a bit plain. It's good as a parts pack for brown colours. I'm not an army builder myself, but I'm sure that those who do will be buying these in their hundreds for a Geonosian army. Or swarm, I should say.

Build: 6/10 - simple, yet not challenging and nothing exciting.

Parts: 10/10 - excellent for anyone needing brown parts.

Figures: 10/10 - Despite Barriss's eyes, I'm extremely satisfied

Price: 8/10 - feels small for what you get, but not OTT

Playability: 5/10 - flick fires are crap.

Overall: 39/50 (80%)

I would recommend this set to any CW or AOTC fans, it's just have a must-have set. Even better if you catch it on sale.

dsc06721.jpg

Battle lines have been drawn, who will emerge victorious? It won't be the Separatists, they never win anything.

Hmm, well I love this set, I have no idea if I can get it with Super Heroes and the Kingdoms joust. :laugh: I'd prefer a long blue cape, but I guess a short one is fine. :sceptic: Nice review!

Haha, great review with sarcastic commentary! I'm not a big fan of Barriss in Clone Wars form or the Geonosians. I might buy this set just for Gree. :hmpf:

Thanks for the great review!

I love all the humor you put into it especially the Darth Maul calling for an ambulance :laugh:

I think I will buy this set. Not a fan of Barriss Offee but want her to complete my Jedi collection. I also want Gree to go with my Rex, Cody and Wolffe. Only need Fox after that :grin:

Thanks 'Hellfyre' for this review.....dam it, Lego stop twisting my arm...another must get CW set. :blush:

But I have a problem with it, not the set itself but isn't that cannon a sonic weapon not a laser cannon ? :wink:

It's worth buying for the figures alone and that cool cannon is the icing on the cake. :grin:

Again thanks 'Hellfyre' for this review.

Review On ! :wink:

a nice lil set, 2x geo make it good for army building and dark orange pieces great for mocs

i don't have barriss yet so will be picking up at least 1 box, thx for the review :thumbup:

This is the least inspiring of the new wave of Star Wars sets. Whilst I agree that it is much better than the one in 4478, that set also came with the Geonosian fighter and all for £20. Now lego are charging just £20 for the cannon! It doesn't look like a £20 set and although I accept that the sets comes with two exclusive mini-figures, I still don't think its worth getting. To be honest it feels like a battle pack but at twice the price!

This is the least inspiring of the new wave of Star Wars sets. Whilst I agree that it is much better than the one in 4478, that set also came with the Geonosian fighter and all for £20. Now lego are charging just £20 for the cannon! It doesn't look like a £20 set and although I accept that the sets comes with two exclusive mini-figures, I still don't think its worth getting. To be honest it feels like a battle pack but at twice the price!

Now that you mention it, this would have been a rather good battlepack had it come with a third Geonosian instead of Barriss Offee. Gree isn't quite a perfect clone sergeant, but he'd pass for one.

Edited by fallenangel309

I noticed that about the "expanded battlepack" that this set and the Droid Escape seem to be. I mean, this will not stop me from purchasing it, if only so I can have a decapitated Gree on Kashykk. :devil:

Thank you for the review!

I think this is a pretty good set, however there are better Starwars sets to get :tongue:

Thanks for the review.

I actually like this set. I do not know how Legos decides which vehicles make it into a set which don't. My impression is that basically they have begun to remake all the vehicles from the old sets. 4483 contained both a fighter and a canon, so basically this set was split up into two.

The price of EUR 26,99 seems to be unreasonably high at first glance. But after comparing it to the initial price of 7957 - EUR 39,99 - I can live with it pretty well.

Great review! Might have to get this set.. I can't tell, but is Barris's cape the same size as Lloyd's cape or is it the same size as a normal cape?

-Sci

Great review! Might have to get this set.. I can't tell, but is Barris's cape the same size as Lloyd's cape or is it the same size as a normal cape?

-Sci

I don't have Lloyd Garmadon, but I assume they both have the same cape size. Barriss's cape is definitely not the same size as a standard cape, it's about half.

To everyone else, thanks for the positive comments :)

Thanks 'Hellfyre' for this review.....dam it, Lego stop twisting my arm...another must get CW set. :blush:

But I have a problem with it, not the set itself but isn't that cannon a sonic weapon not a laser cannon ? :wink:

It's worth buying for the figures alone and that cool cannon is the icing on the cake. :grin:

Again thanks 'Hellfyre' for this review.

Review On ! :wink:

So it is! I forgot that Geonosian weaponry was sonic. I must have called it a laser cannon because it's neon green colour was similar to the laser fired by the Death Star.

This is a really awesome set! I like the Geonosians, though I'll probably use the zombie as more of an elite warrior. I also like phase one Gree, and CW Barriss. All in all, a very nice set!

This is a really awesome set! I like the Geonosians, though I'll probably use the zombie as more of an elite warrior. I also like phase one Gree, and CW Barriss. All in all, a very nice set!

Please don't bump a more-than-two year old topic just to say "nice set". Thanks.