Sign in to follow this  
blackpyre

What's on the newspaper in the Super Heroes Catwoman set?

Hey all,

Got my first Super Heroes set put together and was curious about the newspaper. For those of you less familiar with the piece I'm talking about, it is the two newspapers in the Catwoman set. Here's a link to the specific piece on Bricklink for reference.

Now I have a machine that can enlarge text and got the following:

(Upper Right 03.26.2011 or 08.26.2011)

THE LEGO NEWS

Volume 3 (To the far right: 1 with breaking news)

The Greatest LEGO hero ever!

Interviewed the hero after helping the old man. It was a quiet afternoon in the LEGO city. The minifigure have walked through the streets and heard the old man shouting for help. Like every other minifigure the old man tried to protect the world against the evil. He just forgot that he was old and not that fast anymore. After running through many streets the evil master of the universe surprised the old man and lifted him up in a tree. The LEGO hero **** when he heard the shouting captured the villain and saved the old man in the tree. He only had one comment, “I will do whatever it takes to save minifigures.” Journalist A*******

Now from what I can tell it's not very good grammar. I was unable to make out a couple of things. I was wondering if there were those with better eyes that could help figure out what these missing sections are.

Thanks,

Will

Explains the tree and the minifigure picture, but that's the worst story I've ever heard. Really bad grammar and makes very little sense. I'm surprised that LEGO couldn't have come up with something better if it was going to be possible to read it.

I guess I never even thought to check out what those pieces said, I assumed it just said "blah blah" over and over again, pretty amazing that could print that small.

I guess I never even thought to check out what those pieces said, I assumed it just said "blah blah" over and over again, pretty amazing that could print that small.

I think several years back they wouldn't have bothered. Now, it's amazing what they'll attempt for detail work. Which reminds me, I should look at the Harry Potter newspaper tiles at some point.

That's really interesting. From the text it seems like it was translated from another language, that's the feel I get anyway. I was wondering what the tile had on it, so thank you for posting this.

Now I would not have read that, but when I buy the set for my son in February I'll read it for myself. This means Lego's printing is getting close to perfection ! :grin:

Bat-Brick On ! :wink:

I got the same impression when I went back and read what I typed. My wife and I would make out as many words as possibble then go back and puzzle some of the words out.

Just to warn people, it is not easy to see. As it was the machine I have managed to enlarge the print about 20 times its normal size.

I wonder if I could get a response from LEGO about this to fill in the missing blanks?

Will

I think several years back they wouldn't have bothered. Now, it's amazing what they'll attempt for detail work. Which reminds me, I should look at the Harry Potter newspaper tiles at some point.

Actually they have done this in the past! The first time I've seen this kind of detailing would be for the Daily Bugle print for the Spider-Man 2 subway chase set. J. Jonah had a similar tile that had an article on the rampaging mad scientist Doc Ock.

A Closer Look

Actually they have done this in the past! The first time I've seen this kind of detailing would be for the Daily Bugle print for the Spider-Man 2 subway chase set. J. Jonah had a similar tile that had an article on the rampaging mad scientist Doc Ock.

A Closer Look

Wow, nifty. I've had that tile since I got the set when it was on clearance not too many months after it was released, but I never realized before now that there was that much legible story there.

:laugh: I had a feeling the story on the newspaper was lame from the headline, but I had no idea that it would be this lame! And grammar and spelling were never TLG's strong suit. Those Danes really need to take some English classes. :tongue: I guess the generic-ness of the newspaper's name and frontpage story make it usable in other themes, but wouldn't it have been much more awesome to get a Gotham Gazette/Globe with a story about Batman foiling the Joker's latest scheme?

Oh well. Thanks for this bit of info. I'll try to get a good close-up pic of the newspaper once I get the set. :classic:

Cool! I hope LEGO makes a set based on this! :sarcasm:

But seriously, I was expecting something about Batman or Superman, but this is just laughing bad :iamded_lol:. Who knew such small text could be so powerfull? (I know that's bad, but I just had to put it in there.)

Good thing that the print is too small to read easily with the naked eye, so I can still display it in my Batcave. :thumbup:

Man they've been doing this for a while. Unfortunately, Spider-Man was in the middle of my dark ages. :(

But seriously, others are right. If they did a newspaper that fit the Spider-Man set, why did DC get stuck with a non DC universe newspaper.

Maybe that's why there are so many left on the newspaper rack. Of course from the sound of it, I wouldn't be surprised if this paper showed up again on every super hero set that features a newspaper. Since they anounced they would be doing Marvel sets as well as DC this is the type of paper that can fit every situation.

Then I guess they'll all team up and go after the editor of the paper and fix the situation. ;)

Wait, isn't the text written in other languages, for example in Europe? I remember seeing sets that included pieces with text, written in German (when I went there) Probably the text is just translated?

Edited by Otherworld

Wait, isn't the text written in other languages, for example in Europe? I remember seeing sets that included pieces with text, written in German (when I went there) Probably the text is just translated?

That's a really good point. And with translation work they would be more concerned with how accurate it is vs. how well it sounds. Hopefully someone who has access to those sets in Europe can help us out with this. All that we'd really need is whether it reads, "The LEGO News" and the title of the article.

Hi there,

I got this set in Germany and it's also in English. As Lego is from Denmark, maybe they translated it from Danish to English?

I scanned it as good as I could and uploaded it here:

Newspaper 3

I also began to decrypt what is written there untill user "HOTH BRICKS" got me the link to this topic.

My text begins with "The LEGO news interviewed the hero after..."

I also see a comma after the word "shouting", which gives the sentence more sense.

Edited by der seb

Hi there,

I got this set in Germany and it's also in English. As Lego is from Denmark, maybe they translated it from Danish to English?

I scanned it as good as I could and uploaded it here:

Newspaper 3

I also began to decrypt what is written there untill user "HOTH BRICKS" got me the link to this topic.

My text begins with "The LEGO news interviewed the hero after..."

I also see a comma after the word "shouting", which gives the sentence more sense.

Sweet scan!

This will most likely be what helps us figure out those last few bits. :D

Will

Well I contacted LEGO about this matter and they filled in the blanks I had. Here's what the newspaper should read. Oh, but still no confirmation on the date whether the month is a 3 or an 8.

THE LEGO NEWS

Interviewed the hero after helping the old man. It was a quiet afternoon in the LEGO city. The minifigure have walked through the streets and heard the old man shouting for help. Like every other minifigure the old man tried to protect the world against the evil. He just forgot that he was old and not that fast anymore. After running through many streets the evil master of the universe surprised the old man and lifted him up in a tree. The LEGO hero ran when he heard the shouting captured the villain and saved the old man in the tree. He only had one comment, “I will do whatever it takes to save minifigures.” Journalist Association

Enjoy,

Will

Well I contacted LEGO about this matter and they filled in the blanks I had. Here's what the newspaper should read. Oh, but still no confirmation on the date whether the month is a 3 or an 8.

THE LEGO NEWS

Interviewed the hero after helping the old man. It was a quiet afternoon in the LEGO city. The minifigure have walked through the streets and heard the old man shouting for help. Like every other minifigure the old man tried to protect the world against the evil. He just forgot that he was old and not that fast anymore. After running through many streets the evil master of the universe surprised the old man and lifted him up in a tree. The LEGO hero ran when he heard the shouting captured the villain and saved the old man in the tree. He only had one comment, “I will do whatever it takes to save minifigures.” Journalist Association

Enjoy,

Will

well after reviewing the photobucket and looking at the piece in my hand it seems a few words are not necessarily correct:

THE LEGO NEWS

volume. 3 1. with breaking news

The greatest LEGO hero ever!

The LEGO news interviewed the hero after helping the old man. It was a quiet afternoon in the LEGO City. The minifigure hero walked thru the streets and heard the old man shouting for help. Like every other minifigure the old man tried to protect the world against the evil. He just forgot that he was old and not that fast anymore. After running thru many streets the evil master of the universe captured the old man and lifted him up in a tree. The LEGO hero ran when he heard the shouting, captured the villain and saved the old man in the tree. He only had one comment, “I will do whatever it takes to save minifigures.” Journalist Annemette

While it is good to post when there is something to add, that is near like to like and this is a thread now over three years old. Please think and think again before topic bumping please.