Sign in to follow this  
ADHO15

MOC: Royal Liver Building

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello everyone. :classic:

Today I'm presenting my MOC of the Royal Liver Building, one of Liverpool's Three Graces by the side of the River Mersey. Anyone who is familiar with the city or has maybe visited the new LEGO shop here should know this building as it is one of the biggest and most recognisable landmarks in the city.

I was walking past it a few days ago and decided I should try making it in LEGO Digital Designer in a similar way to the models of the Architecture theme. So without further ado, here it is:

liverbuilding01.png

A three-quarters view of the front (road-side) of the building.

royal-liver-building.jpg

The real thing.

liverbuilding02.png

One of the two identical clock towers, each topped by a fictional liver bird. Various legends exist about this couple. Apparently, the female looks out to the river to guide in the ships, and the male looks into town to see when the pubs open. :tongue:

liverbuilding03.png

Looking down on the river-side of the building.

LXF file

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

This is great! I'm not normally a fan of LDD mocs, but you've captured the Liver Building perfectly! I'd love to see it in real brick if you ever manage to gather that many dark tan pieces! :wub:

This is great! I'm not normally a fan of LDD mocs, but you've captured the Liver Building perfectly! I'd love to see it in real brick if you ever manage to gather that many dark tan pieces! :wub:

Thanks a lot, Rufus! :classic:

I'd love to build it with real parts, but I ran the model through LDD Manager and it told me that most of the bricks used aren't available in dark tan, unfortunately. Making it in tan or grey might be possible though and I may try some day.

It's very fantastic, and accurate to the actual building!

Well done! :sweet:

That's amazing. Perfect, in fact!

Thank you very much! :sweet: I'm really glad you like it!

Really great job, looks big, how many studs wide and long is it?

Thanks a lot. :classic:

The base is 37 by 22 studs. The building itself is obviously a bit smaller.

I saw the Royal Liver Building about 5 or 6 years ago, when I was visiting Liverpool, and even before seeing the real building, the LDD-one was instantly recognizable. And in my opinion, it fits well with the Architecture series. My favourite detail are the Liver birds. Since it's hard to create a real building even on small scale, hats off to you, ADHO15! :thumbup:

Amazing! I really like this building, and I really like how it looks in ABS :laugh:

The clock towers are my favourite parts. The SNOT and the use of those wall pieces is awesome :thumbup:

I saw the Royal Liver Building about 5 or 6 years ago, when I was visiting Liverpool, and even before seeing the real building, the LDD-one was instantly recognizable. And in my opinion, it fits well with the Architecture series. My favourite detail are the Liver birds. Since it's hard to create a real building even on small scale, hats off to you, ADHO15! :thumbup:

Amazing! I really like this building, and I really like how it looks in ABS :laugh:

The clock towers are my favourite parts. The SNOT and the use of those wall pieces is awesome :thumbup:

Thanks so much! :sweet:

Sorry for bumping this topic, but I've made a few changes that I thought I should post.

You’ve got too many clock faces! There are four, not eight!

You're right! I hadn't noticed that. Thanks.

The MOC now has the right number of clocks and also the missing side entrance has been added.

liverbuilding05.png

Sorry for bumping this topic, but I've made a few changes that I thought I should post.

You're right! I hadn't noticed that. Thanks.

The MOC now has the right number of clocks and also the missing side entrance has been added.

royal-liver-building.jpg

liverbuilding05.png

Not to nitpick, but you have them on the wrong corners. The clocks should be on the faces closest to the viewer, but you wouldn't see any clocks on the further tower. Excellent rendition btw, you should build it out of light tan.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Not to nitpick, but you have them on the wrong corners. The clocks should be on the faces closest to the viewer, but you wouldn't see any clocks on the further tower. Excellent rendition btw, you should build it out of light tan.

Thank you for your comment. :classic:

The reference picture looks on the building from the river, whereas the image of my MOC is effectively taken from the city, so the two pictures face opposite corners of the Liver Building, so they should both match their respective views.

Thank you for your comment. :classic:

The reference picture looks on the building from the river, whereas the image of my MOC is effectively taken from the city, so the two pictures face opposite corners of the Liver Building, so they should both match their respective views.

Technically, wouldn't it still be wrong, since the clocks are always on the left and front, regardless of which side you're facing, given you are looking from the shorter sides?

Technically, wouldn't it still be wrong, since the clocks are always on the left and front, regardless of which side you're facing, given you are looking from the shorter sides?

No, there are three clocks around the back of the rear (river-side) tower and one clock on the front of the forward (city-side) tower.

Looks really good, how many bricks total?

Thank you very much. :classic:

It comprises of 2288 parts now.

Hey, Did you ever make this set?  I have thought about doing this for so long and never knew this site existed.  I would love to build this ?