The Real Indiana Jones

MOC: A Pedestal for "Lady Liberty" (The Statue of Liberty)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hey, I am not sure if there will be a vignette contest for the Series 6 Collectible Minifigs, but whatever happens, I am sure a lot of builders will want to make a nice pedestal for their "Lady Liberty" fig. This is my first draft, and it has a 9x9 base as you can see. And obviously, I do not have my Statue of Liberty minifig in hand yet, so The Joker just makes a nice temporary stand-in for right now!

This is based very loosely on the real pedestal, which is OK, since even we Americans do not have a perfect mental image of what the real pedestal looks like. It is also based a bit on reconstruction drawings of the ancient Lighthouse of Alexandria in Egypt, and just whatever extra bricks I had on hand from my various Egyptian temples... Has anyone else tried this yet? Are there better ways to do this architecture at this scale?

I am sure we would all love to see some alternate designs! :classic:

[uPDATE: scroll down a few posts to see the finished design]

6562070035_0d0db81d44_b.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Cool idea, a rather original way to display the minifigure. :thumbup:

But I think the execution could be a bit better. The first thing I notice is that the base is maybe three times taller than the Lady herself, which should not be the case. Take a look at this (by 2MuchCaffeine), it also uses a minifigure so it should show you what kind of scale you should be working at. A good start though, I'm excited to see where you take this. I might have a crack at it later too.

Yes, at first I matched the dimensions against real photos, but I found that if I limited it to just 3 or 4 studs wide and just 4 or 5 bricks high, I was not able to create anything I really liked, so I beefed up the scale of it.

Plus, this will eventually become a nice set piece for Metropolis or Gotham City, and something for the Joker or Luthor to threaten to destroy with his krypto-mech, so it's OK if the dimensions differ from the real world a bit.

And again, love to see even more alternate design ideas! :classic:

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones