I agree - the best thing they could do is release a 'henchmen battlepack' with a bunch of different themed goons. A "Joker Goon" BP, "Two-Face Goon" BP, etc. Maybe even SHIELD agents, Chitauri footsoldiers, Hyrda soldiers, etc. Four per pack with a brick-built accessory, five per otherwise. Make each figure have an alternate head print so one could choose which side to show for even more variation. They would make a killing on sets of army-builders like that.

Now that's a good idea. If the superheroes line is a multi year license, and the SW BPs have sold well, I don't see why not!

I would love to see those Lex bots from Lego Batman 2. And some HYDRA soldiers :classic: .

What we need now is the joker mech from the lego batman 2 finale.It has to be really huge,about the height of 2 whitecap bays stacked on top of eachother.Figures needed: Batman(black suit),superman,flash,wonder woman,green lantern,cyborg,robin,joker and lex luthor estimated price £120-£140 would be reasonable but about the right price. :sweet:

Joker's boat and Robin's helicopter pursuit includes the joker's boat from lego batman 2 dc superheroes and robin's helicopter minifigures: robin,batman(black suit),joker and harley quinn ,she wasn't in that part but it would be nice to see her in another set.estimated retail about £30-£35.

A set with penguin and riddler would be good as well.It would be nice to see a batboat in some form or another though :classic:

I don't see Battle Packs happening.

TLG will not maximise their sales potential by outting figures people want to see in anything other than construction sets. It makes no sense for them to do that.

I also dont think they'd release a BP of henchmen either as they aren't as recognisable as the SW BP's. Would you rather a pack of JOkers goons if you were a kid or Stormtroopers or Mandalorians?

I think the first few runs of DC will be mostly Batman sets. If people didn't pay to see a Green Lantern film then they won't pay for Green Lantern lego sets.

I think X-Men, Spiderman and Batman will and should be the next big wave. The toys of all sell, the comics sell better than any historically and they all are riding on the momentum of successful films.

I don't see Battle Packs happening.

TLG will not maximise their sales potential by outting figures people want to see in anything other than construction sets. It makes no sense for them to do that.

I also dont think they'd release a BP of henchmen either as they aren't as recognisable as the SW BP's. Would you rather a pack of JOkers goons if you were a kid or Stormtroopers or Mandalorians?

I think the first few runs of DC will be mostly Batman sets. If people didn't pay to see a Green Lantern film then they won't pay for Green Lantern lego sets.

I think X-Men, Spiderman and Batman will and should be the next big wave. The toys of all sell, the comics sell better than any historically and they all are riding on the momentum of successful films.

I wouldn't be surprised by more Spiderman. Then again, LEGO doesn't have the rights to the new Amazing Spiderman movie, which would mean any Spidey sets would be based on the comics.

I definitely want to see some more X-Men. Mystique, I think, should be in the next X-Men set.

That depends on whether you're a kid who's more into Star Wars, or a kid who's more into Batman. It's completely subjective, and I think it's a bit silly to use the popularity of Stormtroopers or Mandolorians as the be-all and end-all threshold for battlepack sales success. I'm also talking more along the lines of the bubble/cardboard packaged battlepacks (like the PotC, Pharaoh's Quest and, most recently, Firefighter packs), not the boxed ones you see in the SW line. You can't tell me the PotC BP would have sold like hotcakes if it had more than one Redcoat in it.

I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread, but I would love a Fortress of Solitude or perhaps a Hall of Justice for that matter.

That depends on whether you're a kid who's more into Star Wars, or a kid who's more into Batman. It's completely subjective, and I think it's a bit silly to use the popularity of Stormtroopers or Mandolorians as the be-all and end-all threshold for battlepack sales success. I'm also talking more along the lines of the bubble/cardboard packaged battlepacks (like the PotC, Pharaoh's Quest and, most recently, Firefighter packs), not the boxed ones you see in the SW line. You can't tell me the PotC BP would have sold like hotcakes if it had more than one Redcoat in it.

in the world of commerce it's never silly to use your successful products as a yardstick to forecast future ranges. The point i was trying to make was that there is nothing about a generic goon figure that might make it stand out more than any generic criminal figure currently in LEGO's product range.

If you think of a Joker's goon or henchmen there is not a particular uniform or motif that makes it recognisable enough to base a BP around in my opinion.

Edited by Vindice

in the world of commerce it's never silly to use your successful products as a yardstick to forecast future ranges.

Sure, if you're using it as a yardstick - then I think that further makes my point! The yardstick being "small sets with a large number of minifigures that people would want multiples of make more money in the long run than large sets with minifigures people only want one of". Your stance seems to be that henchmen/goon battlepacks couldn't sell as much as Stormtrooper battlepacks, so they won't even consider making them. Then why do they even bother having other themes than Star Wars, since Star Wars outsells every other theme...

The point i was trying to make was that there is nothing about a generic goon figure that might make it stand out more than any generic criminal figure currently in LEGO's product range.

That's assuming they make a battlepack of four boring looking figures, which is a slanted way of looking at it. If they made each figure unique in the pack, with different facial prints, clothing prints and accessories - variations on the theme of their villain - then it would be more enticing. Granted, SHIELD or Hydra soldiers might be a harder sell, but maybe not.

If you think of a Joker's goon or henchmen there is not a particular uniform or motif that makes it recognisable enough to base a BP around in my opinion.

Well, that's where creativity and drawing inspiration from various sources comes into play. It doesn't necessarily have to be 'recognizable', it has to be enticing to the core demographic that is interested in the theme - that's who BPs are for, anyway. If you put together a BP of four unique Joker henchmen and emblazoned the cardboard/box with a picture of Batman fighting The Joker, the context makes it 'recognizable'. Look at how well the Collectible Minifigures sell - mainly due to being very unique in both design and accessories. Design a BP of henchmen with those same ideals and it would most definitely sell.

Here are my predictions for the 2013 sets... :grin:

Basically, I'll list all my predictions by wave, along with the possible new figures

DC:

Jan. 2013 (around December 2012)

3 Batman (not TDKR) sets ($13, $20, $50) (Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc, Nightwing, Commissioner Gordan, Manbat, Clayface)

1 Special Edition GL:TAS set ($40)

May 2013 (around the time Toy Story 3 sets came out in 2010)

4 Man of Steel sets ($12, $20, $50, $90)

1 D2C Batman set OR Special Edition Beware the Batman set ($150) (Arkham Asylum/Wayne Manor) (previously mentioned figures)

Marvel:

1 D2C Avengers set ($120) (Bruce Banner, Tony Stark, Black Widow, Steve Rogers, Thor, Nick Fury, Hawkeye, Phil Coulson) (Helicarrier?)

April 2013 (around the time Avengers sets came out in 2012)

2 X-Men sets ($25, $50) (Both will include Wolverine, one with his mask)

4 Iron Man 3 sets ($12, $20, $50, $80)

1 Special Edition Iron Man 3 set ($40)

October 2013

3 Thor 2 sets ($12, $20, $70)

Edited by just2good

Basically, I'll list all my predictions by wave, along with the possible new figures

Marvel:

1 D2C Avengers set ($120) (Hulk, Bruce Banner, Iron Man, Black Widow, Captain America, Thor, Nick Fury)

I don't think another Avengers set will sell well. Sure, it's a great line, but more sets with most of the same figs :wacko: . I just don't know. Not that I don't want a Nick Fury minifig :sweet: .

I don't think another Avengers set will sell well. Sure, it's a great line, but more sets with most of the same figs :wacko: . I just don't know. Not that I don't want a Nick Fury minifig :sweet: .

I'd argue that it would. Add in enough characetrs people want (Banner, Fury) and actually have a decent build na dpeople will buy it. Personally I'm fine with having multiples of characters.

Like 'LMB10' said, I think it will. Compare a possible D2C Avengers set to 10217 Diagon Alley. I will even go as far to edit my original post and add Hawkeye. :grin:

Also, I edited it to take out the Hulk. That's one figure I don't think it will include, but it might include a Bruce Banner figure, and just Steve Rogers and Tony Stark, not their Super Hero counterparts.

Avengers is the 3rd highest grossing film of all time. :wink:

Oh, and the only problem with a D2C Avengers set I see is what place would the set be based on? Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by just2good

Oh, and the only problem with a D2C Avengers set I see is what place would the set be based on? Does anyone have any ideas?

Helicarrier. :cry_happy:

Some good predictions for next year here are mine:

DC

Batboat Batman and the Penguin plus a hostage or henchmen, about £40

Arkham Asylum includes Hugo strange, Batman, Nightwing,Scarecrow,two doctors and Killer croc £80

Mr Frezzes lab includes Batgirl, commisioner Gordon, Mr Freeze, Batman and Robin £50

the justic league includes Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, The Flash and Green Arrow about £60

3 Man of Steel sets

1 or 2 Green lanturn

Marvel

X-men BlackBird includes Toad,Quick silver, Storm, Jean Grey, Nightcrawler and Pyro £70

X-mansion includes Professor X, Cyclops, Rouge, Gambit, Beast, Scarlet Witch and Juggernaut about £80-120

Sentinel attack includes Iceman, Angle and Colossus plus brick built Sentinel £20

2 ultimate Spiderman Sets with Venom, Spiderman, Mary Jane, Nova, Luke Cage and Task master

3 Ironman 3 sets

1 Ironman 2 set

1 Ironman 1 set

3 Thor sets

I think that there will be more waves next year and a visual Dictionary for Marvel covering the previous Spider-man theme and the current Marvel theme.

Also, I edited it to take out the Hulk. That's one figure I don't think it will include, but it might include a Bruce Banner figure, and just Steve Rogers and Tony Stark, not their Super Hero counterparts.

Well, if it had the heroes as themselves and not in superheroes costumes, then I would buy it. In fact, TLC should really make that set right now!

Minifigs for the set;

Bruce Banner

Steve Rogers in green shirt

Thor(no alter ego)

Tony stark

Agent Phil colson

That female SHEILD agent

SHEILD agent

Nick Fury!!!

Well, that's where creativity and drawing inspiration from various sources comes into play. It doesn't necessarily have to be 'recognizable', it has to be enticing to the core demographic that is interested in the theme - that's who BPs are for, anyway. If you put together a BP of four unique Joker henchmen and emblazoned the cardboard/box with a picture of Batman fighting The Joker, the context makes it 'recognizable'. Look at how well the Collectible Minifigures sell - mainly due to being very unique in both design and accessories. Design a BP of henchmen with those same ideals and it would most definitely sell.

Fair points, after playing the new LEGo Batman 2 game today it looks as though a lot of the jokers henchmen are being based on the Clown and Mime from the collectible minifig range. They look awesome too!! maybe no need to make a BP now.

Fair points, after playing the new LEGo Batman 2 game today it looks as though a lot of the jokers henchmen are being based on the Clown and Mime from the collectible minifig range. They look awesome too!! maybe no need to make a BP now.

I don't think they can make a DC or Marvel Superheroes themed Battlepack. even if it is just a pack of clowns and mimes. The "Construction set" vs "Action Figure" license applies. As soon as they call it a Superheroes set they run into the problem. Now if they made a "Circus" set :thumbup:

My prediction is we will see the Robin Jetcopter vs the Jokers super speed boat, as seen in the first chapter of the game. It just seems like a nice mix, with a good 2 vehicle build.

I don't think they can make a DC or Marvel Superheroes themed Battlepack. even if it is just a pack of clowns and mimes. The "Construction set" vs "Action Figure" license applies. As soon as they call it a Superheroes set they run into the problem. Now if they made a "Circus" set :thumbup:

My prediction is we will see the Robin Jetcopter vs the Jokers super speed boat, as seen in the first chapter of the game. It just seems like a nice mix, with a good 2 vehicle build.

I don't think the action figure licence applies since Lego sell superhero ultra builds which are considered action figures. I think the action figure licence only applies to star wars themes.

I don't think the action figure licence applies since Lego sell superhero ultra builds which are considered action figures. I think the action figure licence only applies to star wars themes.

I think the ultrabuilds sort of skirt the rules by being a "build it yourself" action figure, which technically makes it a construction set. There seems to be some basic level of pieces vs figs that they need for most of the licensed stuff. It isn't limited to just Star Wars. It is pretty much any case where you will see action figures in the toy aisle. So Star Wars, Superheroes, etc. (although they did manage to get around it for PotC, so there is hope.)

I think the ultrabuilds sort of skirt the rules by being a "build it yourself" action figure, which technically makes it a construction set. There seems to be some basic level of pieces vs figs that they need for most of the licensed stuff. It isn't limited to just Star Wars. It is pretty much any case where you will see action figures in the toy aisle. So Star Wars, Superheroes, etc. (although they did manage to get around it for PotC, so there is hope.)

I'd have to agree with the earlier post that the action figure license issue probably has more to do with who holds the license in question. It's not so much Hasbro's decision as they make the action figures, it's more the decision of who owns the intellectual property. We all know that Lucas is pretty tight about the Star Wars license and I can see where he would want stipulations in place to get the most amount of profit he could. Meanwhile, Disney seems less concerned about such restrictions and might be fine with Marvel Lego battle packs.

I mean, right now we have Diamond Select Marvel Minimates that are basically block style figures being sold in two-packs, while Hasbro sells action figures in the same toy aisle. If those two can co-exist, then so can Lego.

I mean, right now we have Diamond Select Marvel Minimates that are basically block style figures being sold in two-packs, while Hasbro sells action figures in the same toy aisle. If those two can co-exist, then so can Lego.

Don't go by Diamond. They fall into some weird licensing category. Mainly because they are considered a direct sale and not through major retail chains. They have always occupied a strange place that seems outside the normal licensing rules.

We shall see how it all plays out. But my gut suspicion is since Hasbro has the license for at least the Marvel / Avengers figs, and they are known to kick up a full, that we will not be seeing any Battlepacks.

As far as DC, I think next year Batman is going to cool off :(

I think we'll only get two Batman sets - probably the two best-known villains who didn't show up in 2012:

Batboat / Some sort of Penguin watercraft

Something with Mr. Freeze

Three Man of Steel sets - no clue what they would be yet.

One Green Lantern set - now that the cartoon has been on for a little bit. I haven't really watched the cartoon - except snippets while my son watches it - so I don't know what to expect.

Don't go by Diamond. They fall into some weird licensing category. Mainly because they are considered a direct sale and not through major retail chains. They have always occupied a strange place that seems outside the normal licensing rules.

We shall see how it all plays out. But my gut suspicion is since Hasbro has the license for at least the Marvel / Avengers figs, and they are known to kick up a full, that we will not be seeing any Battlepacks.

This all sounds very reasonable but can lego not get around this in the same way they did with POTC battle packs. The Figures are still construction toys in that they are made up of parts. If Lego really wanted surely they could just sell them disassembled - although this would probably require a change in packing to make them more appealling from a marketing/shelf prospective?