Well, it depends on the price and In what condition the set is. Is it complete? Etc . I got mine for 150 wich I consider an amazing bargain, I paid total of 530 euros for CC, RBR and SES. All in like new condition. The thing that surprised me the most was how big it actually was! And it came whit 4 minifigs that looked like they were made today! So in this case, I feel like I hit the jackpot. Definitely worth buying IMO.

Edited by Captain Becker

The question where to buy pirate sets is still very important for LEGO fans. It becomes more difficult every year. But sometimes modern sets of other series have lots of pirates accessories which we can use. For example a big brick figure of Metal Beard from LEGO movie or Sky Shark from ninjago.

On 30.09.2016 at 2:01 AM, BrickHat said:

Nice! Do I spot a trains torso in one of those pirates? I guess the train industry didn't turn out to well for him. :tongue:

I finally have a big enough LEGO budget to get in to pirates, but I'm faced with a dillema. I want to get both the skull's eye schooner and the black seas barracuda, but it'll be a couple of weeks after I buy one until I'm able to buy another. I'm a bit worried that if I buy one the other won't be available at a reasonable price when I'm able to order it. So if the worst case scenario turns true, what should I buy first? The skull's eye schooner or the black seas barracuda? Is one generally more valuable than the other? The bsb is $190 U.S. while the ses is $220, aparrently only missing the instructions and the lanterns in the back.

Edited by Wirza

On 8/9/2017 at 4:43 PM, Wirza said:

I finally have a big enough LEGO budget to get in to pirates, but I'm faced with a dillema. I want to get both the skull's eye schooner and the black seas barracuda, but it'll be a couple of weeks after I buy one until I'm able to buy another. I'm a bit worried that if I buy one the other won't be available at a reasonable price when I'm able to order it. So if the worst case scenario turns true, what should I buy first? The skull's eye schooner or the black seas barracuda? Is one generally more valuable than the other? The bsb is $190 U.S. while the ses is $220, aparrently only missing the instructions and the lanterns in the back.

While I'm not super hardcore about the official sets (I prefer to build mine from scratch) I would recommend grabbing the Skull's Eye Schooner first, since it was only released once while the Black Seas Barracuda got re-released at some point.

Really the only pirates set I want is the Skull's Eye Schooner since its an amazing set. But I have never been able to find a good price for it. The cheapest I have seen was like 170$ CAD which was sold in like 5 min.

It depends what you like. I would not givea cent to one of the most unrealistic and ugliest ships ever made what are the Skulls Eye Schooner and Red Beards Runner; along with the Crossbone Clipper topping the ugly scale of him realistic colour schemes and very ugly design elements I would never take a second and always would go for one of the most beautiful ships ever, the Black Seas Barracuda. That's my point and my opinion.

If you can grab more money the Big Imperial Flagship is the best one you can buy but also the most expensive one. 

I know a lo of lego fans like that SES so it depends on what you like. But don't worry you will always find both at eBay 

Hello,
I don't know if I can ask here, if not I'm sorry for the trouble and will post somewhere else.

I have seen an offer selling everything in this picture for 200€. There is a full 6285 Black Seas Barracuda (probably without instructions), an incomplete one (he says 60%), few pieces from 6270 (+instructions), most of the minifigures from 6285 plus some others and some extra parts.
I have seen another 6285, full with instructions at 140€ (but it's really dusty). I am not sure the other parts in the first offer are really worth the extra 60€... Maybe will it be better if I get it for 20-30€ less ?

I am not in a hurry for buying, but if you tell me it's a good offer, why not jump on this one.

Thanks for the help

14 minutes ago, CaptainMoore said:

I don't know if I can ask here, if not I'm sorry for the trouble and will post somewhere else.

You've come to the right place, although it's highly recommended to post photos in topics because (where applicable) because you're more likely to get noticed.

So is this lot worth 200€?

First compare the prices on Bricklink. Their price guide values one used Black Seas Barracuda at US $303.51 or 276.36€.

image.png

Wow. 

About such orders I would have doubts about the trustworthiness. But to discuss this topic is not helpful. 

Like Mister Phes showed us. A price for such a vessel is quite high. You are very lucky if you really get this ship for that price, be it the 200€ or the 160€ version. When I want to buy such a set I always take a look at the Part Out Value of the set. So you have to imagine: What would I have to pay if I want to buy it together in single pieces? From the experience I can say that you pay 50% of a price for 90% of the pieces and the other 50% for the rest, which are very uncommon and very expensive and hard to get pieces. 

The current partout value of the 6285 Black Seas Barracuda is round about 300-350€ from sellers in Europe. 
Pieces like Boat Hull PieceBoat Mast Rigging (Especially the long one) or Sails but also masts and rare pieces needed in a high quantity stack up very quickly to the cost.

If you decide to buy from one or another. Take sure that the important pieces of the set are intact and present. Some unexpected pieces like this Female Head from the figurehead or the White Flag 6 x 4 with Skull and Crossbones also have a high price point if you scroll just a little bit down. It can go up to 10-20 Euros per piece. 

If we take a look on the image I can see at least four Mast rigging (3-7€ pp), two big jolly roger flags (7-20€ pp), several minifigs (3-5€ per minifig, up to 20€ on rare ones), two rope bridges (2-7€ for brown colour), four cannons (1-2€ pp+ price of cannon base) and two baseplates with isles (7-10€) laying on the table. Don't pin me down but if you want to buy all this single its about 50-80€ minimum! 

The second uncomplete ship on the right seems to be quite complete regarding the hull. A big cost factor will be the masts and the sails if you want to finish it. Good sails are expensive to get. What I can see that he replaced several bricks with the same one in other colors. The grey bricks under the railing at the front, deck plate in Dark Gray, where the steering wheels sits instead of light gray. Maybe to give it a more finished look but it's definitely less complete than it seems. (Attention this is nitpicking from my side, don't be to distracted from my words :wink:)

I don't know how far you life away but ask him if you can take a look and pay with cash. If he agrees it is not a rip-off.

Regarding the 160€ offer. The dust is not a problem. The bricks underneath are important.
When it comes to the decision if the instructions plays a role in the buying process. I would rather choose the offer without the instruction because in this case the bricks would be much more worth for me than a paper booklet. If you are planning to get a complete collector series from all pirate sets of this series together (with instructions and boxes and all pieces in their original mold and color) (what I doubt) I would rather go for the 160€ ship with instructions because then a second ship would not help you. 

To break this text of wall :hmpf::wacko: and to sum it up:

The 200€ offer is definitely worth the money. In every aspect. 

The 160€ offer comes in play when you definitely want a instruction booklet. But these can be bought extra for a "relative" **low** price.

I hope these infos does help you more than they confuse. :grin::pir_wacko:

Best greetings!

4 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

You've come to the right place, although it's highly recommended to post photos in topics because (where applicable) because you're more likely to get noticed.

So is this lot worth 200€?

First compare the prices on Bricklink. Their price guide values one used Black Seas Barracuda at US $303.51 or 276.36€.

1 hour ago, Robin_IV said:

Wow. 

About such orders I would have doubts about the trustworthiness. But to discuss this topic is not helpful. 

Like Mister Phes showed us. A price for such a vessel is quite high. You are very lucky if you really get this ship for that price, be it the 200€ or the 160€ version. When I want to buy such a set I always take a look at the Part Out Value of the set. So you have to imagine: What would I have to pay if I want to buy it together in single pieces? From the experience I can say that you pay 50% of a price for 90% of the pieces and the other 50% for the rest, which are very uncommon and very expensive and hard to get pieces. 

[...]

I hope these infos does help you more than they confuse. :grin::pir_wacko:

Best greetings!

Thank you both for your help! @Robin_IV you seem to have a really good knowledge of which part is expensive, thank you for taking so much time to write.

Bricklink is indeed really useful. As you imagined, I don't think of being a die hard collector. Keeping boxes is not my think, I don't even have the space for that :grin:. Sadly I don't live close to any seller of lego ships, so I will have to rely on ebay insurance or such things.

It seems the offers are good, especially the biggest one. I am still hesitating because it represents a lot of money and I wasn't expecting those kind of prices for old sets.

You have helped me well, now I have to decide what I do :wacko:. Thanks a lot!

On 2/7/2020 at 8:39 AM, chofus said:

Tell me where is seller from and where did you find that offer, i won't hesitate :)

It was on leboncoin, it's kind of a french Craiglist and mostly for selling hand to hand.

I ask you for help ....

I'm always looking for lots to increase my "library" of pieces and minifigures.

Does this seem like a good deal for 50 euros?

Screenshot-20200209-171949-com-whatsapp.

Edited by peppe1983

1 hour ago, peppe1983 said:

Does this seem like a good deal for 50 euros?

If you collect all those 90s stuff it might. But honestly at first glance I think you may find better deals out there. You can sell them as parts separately, even for twice the price, I'm sure of it. Only it's gonna be a long and big hassle.

The sail piece worth the most, ~15 EUR just on its own.

Edited by Medzomorak

I found a 12 Kg LEGO lot, which includes among other things, the 6285 Black Seas Barracuda and some Castle sets (although most probably none is 100% complete, nor the BSB).
It also includes couple of Pirates/Castle mini-figures, horses, weapons, flags, etc. It appears to have some non LEGO toys in it too.

It's priced at $330.

Should I buy it? Is it worth it?

P.S: I asked before (https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/177541-question-about-12-kg-lot-is-it-worth-it/), but I think here is more relevant.

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

7 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

I found a 12 Kg LEGO lot, which includes among other things, the 6285 Black Seas Barracuda and some Castle sets (although most probably none is 100% complete, nor the BSB).
It also includes couple of Pirates/Castle mini-figures, horses, weapons, flags, etc. It appears to have some non LEGO toys in it too.

It's priced at $330.

P.S: I asked before (https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/177541-question-about-12-kg-lot-is-it-worth-it/), but I think here is more relevant.

It seems a little expensive at first glance. To be fair idk how many castle sets he is selling. But I know if you look long enough you can find the BSB for $200-300 good condition. You also have to vary what parts he's missing. If it's just some simple bricks you might already own or ones that are cheap on bricklink I would say go for it if it's worth it to you. However, if he's missing the sails on the BSB or some castle wall pieces with exclusive prints it's not worth it. Also if he's missing mini-figures such as the pirate woman in the BSB, it might not be worth it because they are expensive to buy on their own especially in good condition.

It's up you of course cause it is your money, but look at pictures and contact the seller for any questions before you buy. Because trust me there is nothing worse than buying some sets and realizing you are missing the most expensive pieces. 

On 5/6/2020 at 10:51 PM, azog said:

It seems a little expensive at first glance. To be fair idk how many castle sets he is selling. But I know if you look long enough you can find the BSB for $200-300 good condition. You also have to vary what parts he's missing. If it's just some simple bricks you might already own or ones that are cheap on bricklink I would say go for it if it's worth it to you. However, if he's missing the sails on the BSB or some castle wall pieces with exclusive prints it's not worth it. Also if he's missing mini-figures such as the pirate woman in the BSB, it might not be worth it because they are expensive to buy on their own especially in good condition.

It's up you of course cause it is your money, but look at pictures and contact the seller for any questions before you buy. Because trust me there is nothing worse than buying some sets and realizing you are missing the most expensive pieces. 

Thank you for your answer!

On 5/6/2020 at 1:01 PM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

It's priced at $330.

Hard to say without seeing the pictures, but as Azog said, it depends on key elements being present.

Generally, the maximum I'd pay for 1kg of Lego is £10 ($12), but I'd be happier at £7 ($9), but perhaps the markets are different in the US. I'd expect the US to be cheaper honestly.

That said, if the BSB is virtually complete with all rare parts and minifigures (sails being key), then it could be worth a punt.

My advice would be to haggle though. In these times, the seller may be willing to settle for less.

2 hours ago, leafan said:

Hard to say without seeing the pictures, but as Azog said, it depends on key elements being present.

Generally, the maximum I'd pay for 1kg of Lego is £10 ($12), but I'd be happier at £7 ($9), but perhaps the markets are different in the US. I'd expect the US to be cheaper honestly.

That said, if the BSB is virtually complete with all rare parts and minifigures (sails being key), then it could be worth a punt.

My advice would be to haggle though. In these times, the seller may be willing to settle for less.

Thanks for answering!

Here are some pictures:

hFBBpQR.jpg

m4Dwcrh.jpg

FNMAsJg.jpg

1kg of Lego for £10, with shipping costs included in this price?
Because in Europe I haven't found less than €20 per 1Kg of LEGO (shipping costs included) the last 2 months I'm searching on Ebay.

@Brickander Brickumnus - Thanks for the images.

From having a good look, I'd recommend that you ask the seller if all 5 sails are there. I can see at least 1, possibly 2 sails but it'd be good if he could confirm.

I'd also recommend asking the seller to pour it all out (or lay out the parts, if possible) so that you can see more clearly. Worth a try right?

Anyway, it looks like the lot has the instructions for 6059 Knight's Stronghold (one of the Black Knights era Castle sets):

Spoiler

6059-1.jpg

I can also see some Blacktron 2 classic space sets, and at least some of the parts to 6952 Solar Power Transporter (you can tell from the convex corner piece):

Spoiler

6952-1.jpg

There's also a large trans-green dish which I initially thought was Blacktron 2, but turns out the large dishes were never used there, so that means it's 41128 Amusement Park Space Ride, which itself is from 2016, so it's not all classic sets:

Spoiler

41128-1.jpg?201605201119

Hope that helps bud.

The price per kilo that I mentioned is without shipping, since that can vary wildly, but I've very sure of the price as I buy a lot of used Lego.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.

Heya, thinking of investing in expansions to my Pirate collection, with an eye of doing "modern/upgraded" looks to some of the older eras of LEGO piracy based on recent year projects. With part of that, I'm looking to at some point have the full trio of Imperial faction ships from the original run (already got the original Imperial Flagship as part of that, thanks to an uncle's hand-me-down years ago), and naturally that means I'm eyeing the classic Caribbean Clipper.

With that in mind, besides finding a purchase option that won't break my bank extremely, my concern is how much care should be taken with working with the vintage nature of Pirates stuff, especially the earliest sets. I've got plenty of experience with classic space model age-induced fragility, but I'm curious how much of it affects elements of the Pirate sets around the 80s/90s. They seem to hold up well for the most part, but I know there's weak spots with flag clips, sail piece tears and the like. So basically I'm curious in general how much attention I should be paying to that when acquiring, building and MOCing with sets as old as 1989, and if I'm wanting to try modifying/ground-up rebuilds of some of the oldest ships, is it worth it to track down the originals or just piece things together with individual part lot purchases or whatnot?

I've had better luck with purchasing sets as opposed to trying to piece them together from individual lot purchases. Still, I bought a lot of these sets ten years ago, when they were generally less expensive than they are now. Since most of the larger sets have exclusive elements, I think it would still be more cost effective to try and find a good deal on the set than tracking down the individual parts and figures. If you happened to find an eBay lot with most of the expensive parts all together, that might be a different story. (I was able to complete the Imperial Flagship because I was lucky enough to find a lot that included almost all of the rare pieces but none of the regular bricks.)

I haven't had any issues really with breakable elements--I think one set I bought had a large flag with broken clips, but this was mentioned in the auction listing and I had a replacement handy anyway. I've also got an Eldorado Fortress baseplate that's slightly cracked. I'd be most concerned about the condition of rare/exclusive elements like the sails, blue lantern pieces, rarer figures, feathers, etc. The weakest pieces like the flags and other clip-type pieces can usually be replaced fairly easily. Another thing to watch out for are whether the sails are original or replicas--I think the folks making replica sails are doing good work, but you'll want to make sure you're getting the real deal if that's what you want. I have seen a few examples of eBay sellers putting in replica sails in bulk auctions, possibly to drive up the bids.

Since you're in the US, it might be worth asking around/checking into the local LEGO resale shops (if there are any) like Bricks and Minifigs when/if they reopen in your area. It probably varies from store to store, but I've seen some sets at fair prices. They're usually on the higher end of fair, but you'll be able to see what you're getting and bypass Bricklink and eBay fees and shipping.

I have recently bought the original Imperial Flagship and the Black Sea's Barracuda. I haven't cleaned the second one yet but what seems common on both are that the clips are a bit loose. It may come from the way they were exposed/stored but my BSB red flags seem really fragile. I have broken a clip easily and some pirate flags are already broken.

Clips pieces can be easily replaced, except for large flags that are expensive.

Sails are other really expensive part of the set. I think Lego didn't even had "the Lego group" written on them for the first sets (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Original ropes on bricklink are also surprisingly expensive but can be replaced by non Lego ones (depending on what crazy collector you are :pir_laugh2:)