Praiter Yed

Prometheus

I did a search and was surprised that nobody had started a topic on this, in fact I couldn't even find any Alien related topics (apart from a locked one about AVP - the least said about that the better).

I've been following progress on Prometheus for a while and I'm really too excited about this film and in my experience too much excitement usually leads to disappointment. But now the hype is really kicking in, so much so that over at Apple they've got 3 teasers for the teaser (which will premier in hi-def on Apple tomorrow. Link.. But you can watch the lo-def version already here.

Empire suggests that Prometheus is the name of a space-craft whereas I thought it was going to be some meaningful title about gods giving fire to the people - possibly both.

So is anybody else totally hyped about Ridley Scott revisiting the 'Alien' universe? What do you guys think about the teaser? Perhaps you think the Alien franchise should be left well alone. Or maybe I just started another topic that's going to get locked :blush: ?

EDIT: Hi-Def teaser trailer is now available to view at Apple

Edited by Praiter Yed

I'm a little lost here - I'm a big fan of Alien and Aliens. Does this take place in the same universe, or or is Ridley Scott just the same director from the former? Either way, it looks pretty interesting. :thumbup:

I should probably be more specific...is it in the same general time period as Alien? I know it's a prequel, but does it take place a few years before then, or a thousand years or so prior?

I'm a little lost here - I'm a big fan of Alien and Aliens. Does this take place in the same universe, or or is Ridley Scott just the same director from the former? Either way, it looks pretty interesting. :thumbup:

I should probably be more specific...is it in the same general time period as Alien? I know it's a prequel, but does it take place a few years before then, or a thousand years or so prior?

It's a while since I've seen the original Alien and I can't remember if it gives a date when it's supposed to be set? But I would guess that this is at least decades before Alien. The original space craft that they find the Alien eggs in is in the teaser and in one bit you see the chair that the 'space jockey' sits in rising from the floor. So there's little doubt that this is a direct prequel to Alien. Although Ridley Scott has stated that there will be no Xenomorphs in this film, I wouldn't be surprised to see one bursting from the chest of the Space Jockey at the end.

Why would you be surprised no one has posted topic about this, i mean if we were to open a topic about every mayor film that's coming out in near future...

That being said, Prometheus is actually one of my most anticipated films for 2012.

There has been a lot of confusion whether it's a prequel, reboot or whatever.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ridley-scott-downplays-alien-connection-to-prometheus-talks-working-with-h-r-giger-gives-a-shout-out-to-insane-ufo-theorist

Lol, we will just have to wait and see eh :thumbup: I'm really excited, trailer looks awesome :thumbup:

Yes, another scifi fan! Just seen the trailer. :laugh:

I've been following this movie as well. Mostly just checking out scifimoviepage.com every day. They said the following on Prometheus;

The highly-anticipated Prometheus trailer is here and as promised you can see some of the original 1979 Alien movie’s “DNA” in it as director Ridley Scott had promised in earlier interviews.

Not only are many of the costume and ship designs similar, but if you look real close you can see the decapitated head of the famous “space jockey,” originally glimpsed in the 1979 movie, for a millisecond on a lab table being examined by lab-coated woman scientist. Blink and you’ll miss it.

Prometheus stars Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Sean Harris, Kate Dickie, Logan Marshall-Green, Guy Pearce. It is directed by Ridley Scott and has a June 8th, 2012 theatrical release.

Below is a new photo of Michael Fassbender, which Internet rumors say is a robot in the upcoming movie.

prometheus-pic-300x292.jpg

*btw; is Ridley Scott wearing a Weyland-Yutani Corporation cap in the

at 0.08? Or is it just me. I always like the idea of 'the company' and how it originated and mentioned in other movies. :sweet:

[source: scifimoviepage.com]

Edited by -zenn

Hm, sound neat. I went through a big Aliens/Predator buzz a while back, watching all the movies and getting all into it. I hadn't even heard of this movie before this topic, so it should be interesting. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Praiter Yed. :sweet:

It's a while since I've seen the original Alien and I can't remember if it gives a date when it's supposed to be set?

It isn't said in the movie, but external sources has the Nostromo events happening around 2122:

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_and_Predator_timeline

http://time.absoluteavp.com/

Prometheus looks very promising judging by the style of the teasers.

So let me get this straight...

This is supposed to be an Alien prequel, but there will be no Aliens in it?? How dumb is that??? Thats like having a Transformers movie based on Cybertron without Transformers.

Highly anticipated movie of 2012? More like epic fail. I mean it looks like a good sci=fi movie, but if there are no Aliens, then its worthless as a prequel.

So let me get this straight...

This is supposed to be an Alien prequel, but there will be no Aliens in it?? How dumb is that??? Thats like having a Transformers movie based on Cybertron without Transformers.

Highly anticipated movie of 2012? More like epic fail. I mean it looks like a good sci=fi movie, but if there are no Aliens, then its worthless as a prequel.

If this wasn't Eurobricks, I'd say this is some clever trolling. Since this is Eurobricks however, it seems that's your actual opinion and you feel inclined to share it with us.

In my opinion, the absence of what we're familiar with and what we expect makes it all the more interesting. Prometheus is sure to be full of hints, clues, and foreshadowing to the xenomorphs and events of the Aliens movies, and I'm sure it will be brilliant.

If this wasn't Eurobricks, I'd say this is some clever trolling. Since this is Eurobricks however, it seems that's your actual opinion and you feel inclined to share it with us.

In my opinion, the absence of what we're familiar with and what we expect makes it all the more interesting. Prometheus is sure to be full of hints, clues, and foreshadowing to the xenomorphs and events of the Aliens movies, and I'm sure it will be brilliant.

I agree - the universe can still be milked, but we've had enough Xenos. We've had an Alien, Aliens, 3 Aliens, Resurrected Aliens, Alien fighting Predators... :laugh:

So... Because I'm not excited about this movie like everyone else seems to be and for the time being am disappointed with what I've seen , you initially thought my post was spam?.. I don't see the logic in that. NO trolling going on here and i think your assumption is unfair.

I agree - the universe can still be milked, but we've had enough Xenos. We've had an Alien, Aliens, 3 Aliens, Resurrected Aliens, Alien fighting Predators... :laugh:

How can you have enough of something that this universe is essentially based on? Hints and what not are cool (such as seeing the Alien or "Xenos" skull in the Predator ship in Predator 2), but i still fail to see the premises of this being a prequel without the stars. Maybe my mind will be changed as we start to see more of the movie, but as of now it doesn't scream "Alien" to me nor am i excited.

How can you have enough of something that this universe is essentially based on? Hints and what not are cool (such as seeing the Alien or "Xenos" skull in the Predator ship in Predator 2), but i still fail to see the premises of this being a prequel without the stars. Maybe my mind will be changed as we start to see more of the movie, but as of now it doesn't scream "Alien" to me nor am i excited.

Star Wars kept on going even in the PT, without 90% of the characters - why not Aliens? In the same vein, I'm sure it'll be a different SORT of movie - just in the same universe.

I can't wait to see the movie. Not having those xenomorphs creeping around will be kinda cool. Seeing the space jockey alien and his ship before it became derelict even cooler. Ridley is absolutely brilliant at the look and feel of a movie. I'm not expecting much in the way of dialogue or plot though. Maybe some cliches and hackneyed philosophy. a bucketful of mythos. sloppy symbolism. but who cares about that garbage anyway. it's a tense sci-fi movie with alien planets, cool tech and people dying in unusual and interesting ways. at least it won't blow chunks like the rest of the alien franchise. After this I'll never watch the sequels again it'll just be Ridley's duology.

I'm so excited for this! My birthday can't come soon enough next year (coincidentally, the movie will hit theaters that exact day in Germany :-) )

The big thing is: This movie, while setting the stage for all three subsequent "Alien" movies (cross-overs, spin offs and abysmal "Resurrection" don't count for me ^^), it will presumably focus on humans discovering the "space jockey" race and their interaction will explain the crash landed "egg-ship" on LV-426. There even existed a detailed, yet naturally unconfirmed, synopsis somewhere around the web, that, if true, would truly make this some epic stuff to remember.

As for all the "NO ALIENS! BOO!"-shouters: Perhaps one should perceive this as a standalone work of sci-fi that will have a retroactive explanation, a by-product so to say, for the existence of the "Xenomorph" lifeforms. Mr. Scott explicitly made clear this is, if at all, only a prequel in spirit not in matter, although the footage already shown belies such sentiments almost to a perverse extent.

Frankly, I'm a "fan" of very few things, but I'm very deep into all the (movie-based!) Alien-stuff and know my ways, but the concept of that alien killer-organism raping over groups of humanoids bad is worn out.

That's why the AvP-flicks were a far fetched crap fest that would have liked to be a Mummy-meets-Saw-lovechild and failed in all instances and consequences of that. That's why Resurrection didn't work properly over ten years ago. Overexposure on the creatures' part, lack of significant new concepts to apply to them on the producers' is what broke the series beyond repair.

Now the guy, who took a trashbound script and gave us awesome-on-film goes and does something wonderful, i.e. something NEW, and the die-hards complain.

This is not GL wrecking his reputation as a filmmaker with 3 overlength toy-ads or M. Bay showing explosions, tits and one or the other robot. This is R. Scott adding to what is otherwise a dying franchise. Dying you say? Yes, something that lives off camp spin-offs, random niche paraphernalia and fandom ALONE is in fact dying.

I await Prometheus with a vigour. And even if it sucks and has no facehuggers, chestbursters or any other Giger-Xeno in it, it will be something noone else had the balls to try. That alone is all the more reason to anticipate this.

My 2 cents.

Cutty

Star Wars kept on going even in the PT, without 90% of the characters - why not Aliens? In the same vein, I'm sure it'll be a different SORT of movie - just in the same universe.

A story can continue to grow new characters and leave the old ones behind. Starwars still keeps its core with the familar Jedi's, Clone army, a few old characters etc. Like i said, maybe i'll change my mind once i see it and you all will see an apoligy post from me next summer. All i'm saying is that the big part of Aliens for me, were.. well.. The Aliens. Now that there not going to be in it, i'm a bit disapointed. That's all.

A story can continue to grow new characters and leave the old ones behind. Starwars still keeps its core with the familar Jedi's, Clone army, a few old characters etc.

That's exactly what I mean. It's the same universe, but with different main characters.

I kind-of started this topic in a haze of excitement then with the Christmas break forgot all about it :blush: . Nice to see that there's been a little (heated) debate on the subject :grin: .

I've bumped this now to bring news of a new viral marketing video featuring Guy Pearce as Peter Wayland giving some sort of corporate speech. Not much given away here. BUT, there's some possibility that the inclusion of the Peter Wayland character could ignore the AVP timeline completely. No bad thing imo.

Older news includes some images of the Space Jockeys (or are they just Space Suits? :wink: ).

Why would you be surprised no one has posted topic about this, i mean if we were to open a topic about every mayor film that's coming out in near future...

I suppose surprised was a bit of a stupid word for me to use in relation to Prometheus but given that there's clearly a lot of members who are passionate about the Alien/AVP universe (what with the many wonderful Alien MOCs & custom figures that can be found here on EB) I am a bit surprised that there's no topic relating to the Alien franchise in general.

Edited by Praiter Yed

One thing that needs correcting is that Prometheus isn't a prequel. It's set in the same universe and has connections to the alien franchise but sits separate from the franchise. in the same way that AVP is separate from the Aliens quadrilogy. Similar attributes but not part of the whole.

One thing that needs correcting is that Prometheus isn't a prequel. It's set in the same universe and has connections to the alien franchise but sits separate from the franchise. in the same way that AVP is separate from the Aliens quadrilogy. Similar attributes but not part of the whole.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I entirely believe Ridley Scott's comments on this - I wouldn't be surprised if he's just trying to limit potential disappointment at the lack of Xenomorphs.

From the trailer and other sources we know that the Space Jockey/'s are present and if the crashing space-craft we see is the same derelict ship as found in Alien, surely we can conclude that events in this film are going to have a direct link to the original movie. Ridley Scott has made no secret of the fact that the Space Jockey as seen thus far is in fact a space-suit and not another alien lifeform, which poses the question what, or even who was inside the fossilised remains seen in Alien? And, if it is the same ship, might we get to see something bursting from the chest of said space-suit?

If my assumptions are correct and Sir Rids decides to ignore the AVP timeline (potential spoiler alert) we could get to witness the 'birth' of a 'new' lifeform :wink: .

EDIT: New movie still and www.weylandindustries.com

Edited by Praiter Yed

Trailer #2 :laugh:

While the project may have started off as an Alien prequel “it evolved into another universe” Ridley Scott said. “If we’re lucky, there’ll be a second part. It does leave you with some nice open questions.”

For the upcoming movie Prometheus they started a viral campaign, they frist clue was solved, check it out here

Now I've gone searching and come up with this;

On https://www.weylandindustries.com/#/timeline there states 'Module A Content Key'. It can refer to https://www.weylandindustries.com/#/main the little box on the left says 'WCCF-73: Module A' or to a source code puzzle (looked at CSS and HTML coding) https://www.weylandindustries.com/img/sprite-contentKey.png.

Tried to compare the logo's with the timeline entries, but couldn't solve of it.

The timeline page also refers to Project Prometheus http://www.projectprometheus.com/245409/, so tried to login with 'WCCF-73'. But access denied. And to Genentech http://www.gene.com/gene/index.jsp, but seems to be a non-fictional company.

On the 'WCCF-73: Module A' page, https://www.weylandindustries.com/#/video it says 'Media archive frequency'. But from the movie I can't make up any frequency, maybe the photography flashes have the secret in them?

So is anyone else trying to solve it? If you are please share your intel here. :classic::thumbup:

Edited by -zenn

For the upcoming movie Prometheus they started a viral campaign, they frist clue was solved, check it out here

I think this would be right at home in the 'Prometheus' thread... that you've already posted in.

I will merge them.

While the project may have started off as an Alien prequel “it evolved into another universe” Ridley Scott said. “If we’re lucky, there’ll be a second part. It does leave you with some nice open questions.”

I'm still stedfast in my refusal to accept that this is not an Alien prequel, the new trailer has slime and those vial things seem to be laid out the same as the Alien eggs in Alien. Either way, I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a film release, maybe Phantom Menace or even Tim Burton's remake re-imagining of Planet Of The Apes... and we all know how they turned out :sceptic:

In addition to the new trailer you can catch the UK trailer (which is very different in tone) and one of the viral videos (maybe what you were close to finding zenn?) focusing on Michael Fassbender's character over at Empire.

EDIT: Oh, and for the real nerds (me then) there's also a breakdown of the new trailer.

newprometheus28.jpg

Edited by Praiter Yed