Sign in to follow this  
dr_spock

REVIEW: MegaBloks Hello Kitty Candy Shop

MegaBloks Hello Kitty Candy Shop

Item #: 10820

Pieces: 16

MSRP: $11.99 CAD

DESCRIPTION:

Help your child and Hello Kitty build a sweet little shop with the Hello Kitty Candy Shop Playset. Your child can set up Hello Kitty's store full of tasty treats or take her Candy Shop cart around the block and sell her yummy candies in the sun! Hello Kitty can even prepare her candy cart for a tea party with her friends, as it can instantly transform into a cute outdoor tea party!

Ideal for ages 4 and up!

Features:

Collectible Hello Kitty figurine included.

Special Hello Kitty Candy Shop sweets cart with tasty treats.

Umbrella to keep Hello Kitty cool in the hot summer sun.

Can easily be connected into the Hello Kitty neighborhood: mix and match to create the sweetest Hello Kitty town.

BOX:

The front of the box.

picture_15843.jpg

The back of the box.

picture_15844.jpg

The side of the box.

picture_15845.jpg

The top of the box has cute kitty face.

picture_15846.jpg

CONTENTS:

The front part of the inside has the kitty, umbrella, cupcakes, lollipops and cart plate.

picture_15848.jpg

The back part of the inside has a plastic bag with the rest of the parts.

picture_15847.jpg

Here are the bits all laid out.

picture_15850.jpg

Close up of the sticker sheet.

picture_15851.jpg

There are no building instructions, just a phamplet showing other sets. You have to use the pictures on the outside of the box.

picture_15853.jpg

PARTS:

The parts are usual MegaBloks quality like their Halo sets. It's no Lego on the studs.

picture_15854.jpg

MINIFIG:

The front of the Kitty. She is so cute. There is a bit of bleeding of the paint on her bow.

picture_15857.jpg

The back of the kitty. Cute little tail and copyright by Sanrio.

picture_15858.jpg

FINISHED SET:

Yummy cupcakes and lollipops.

picture_15856.jpg

CONCLUSION:

It's pink and cute. The plastic is made in China. The paint on kitty is not as precise as I would like. The set should come with more than one character so that Kitty has someone to play with and share the candy.

Kitty found a new friend to play with. (Also to give you an idea of size.)

picture_15859.jpg

Kitty, don't go over to the Dark Side.

picture_15862.jpg

I think the calendar is a better place for her.

picture_15863.jpg

Happy holidays.

So it's a cart that is twice the height of the character fig and the fig's arms can't even be positioned in a way that allows said fig to push the cart. Way to go mega bloks.

It was a good review, I'm just not a fan of the product.

A Hello Kitty review, well thanks 'dr_spock' for this er, review....this is worse than Belville...heck there is more building in a Duplo set ! :laugh:

I was wishing Vader would use his lightsaber on that kitty ! :laugh:

Great review anyway, 'dr_spock'......Brick On Pussy Foot On ! :laugh:

Pffhahaha. Wow, Hello Kitty. This is just what the brick-based building systems needed. And I just love how they've simplified it! None of that time-consuming, wasteful, step-by-step building of the house. No sir, with this we just take the large single house piece, slap on a floor and roof, and voila! Done. :laugh: The cart however employs the brick-built aspects in a nice, bright, colourful build, I hope it's not too complicated! And I'm sure is strong and sturdy and won't fall apart all the time as the young ones play with it!

And the playability - wow! Hello Kitty may not be able to grasp the cup-cakes, but who would want to when there's lollipops around? :grin: And she can grasp the cart in such a way so as to employ some sweet Matrix-style wall running as she pushed the cart! It's this kind of creative thinking that puts Megabloks streets ahead!

And of course, it's great to see Megabloks keeping up with Lego's fondness for DSS's, darling sticker sheets! Everyone loves those! :wub:

Thanks for the review dr_spock. It's nice to see what Lego's up against. Looks like they'll have to step up their game - Marvel, DC, Star Wars etc. are certainly no match for Hello Kitty.

No sir, with this we just take the large single house piece, slap on a floor and rood, and voila!

Those great new house pieces will be so useful and time-saving for MOCs!

I can't believe how stupid-looking this set is. As others have said, it isn't even to scale with its one figure! That's a pretty big fail. Kitty is cute and all, but really this product sucks.

I must confess that I want a Hello Kitty... but the printing is really bad. I might end up buying one of the really small sets.

The price-to-parts ratio of this set is some 75 cents per piece, which I find hilarious. I love the Kitty figure and the candy - now what to do with the one-piece house and pathetic cart...:laugh:

Wow, I think you summed up the set perfectly dr spock. I've been eying off the Hello Kitty sets for a while now, and feeling increasingly unclean for it (must...wash away...the sin...), but like Sieggy, have been put off by the little flaws in the paint work. But I must say, I'm blown away that the house is one solid piece...even for Mega*&%ks, that's bad. Still, the sheer cutest of the Hello Kitty fig may yet make me sheepishly purchase a small set...I'll probably wear a disguise for the occasion, like a beard or something...

To be honest the Oxford Hello Kitty sets seem far better than this. They're far more Lego like in that there is little juniorization of the parts and you actually building something. The Kitties are also made off minifig bodies, so the heads can be moved around from figure to figure.

HK3016-2shop.jpg

This is a really nice review - great, thorough pictures and descriptions, and you gave Vader a lollipop - and that's truly awesome. I have to confess...I have a thing for Hello Kitty. Full disclosure: my first job was being Hello Kitty, so I'm allowed! Once you've worn the costume, really, are there any boundaries left?

Anyway, I have one of these (the picnic version) so if I can just mention a couple of things I've found that might be unique to my purposes only! One is that it drives me crazy that the head won't come off. I had some designs on making "me" in costume as a custom by adding it to a minifig. She also lost some of the humor value I wanted due to an insurmountable problem. Because the head is so wide, a lot of accessories can't be held up - only down at the side. I'm not talking about the Mega Bloks accessories that came with her, but rather some other things I wanted to do. So if you've got a great idea for having her hold something fun, that's another limitation. Her sword-wielding just isn't as menacing as I'd like, and dual swords are out of the question ;) BUT you can get a little of the effect by turning her head. Still, far from ideal.

That being said, she's still a good Hello Kitty with a workable grip, and I've found some fun ways to bring her into my minifig world.

Now the Oxford set crossmr posted looks much more like what I wanted.

/sigh

/gets out credit card

Edited by Bebs

That's a really nice review, thanks! I love all things Hello Kitty :tongue:

Nice box design, I love the cupcakes and lollipops. The cart is also cute but the house being just one big piece is the biggest drawback.

The paint quality (bleeding bow) is disappointing but at least you can see what you're getting before you open the box.

Overall, I'd love to have the figure and the sweets but I'm not interested in the buildings. Oxfords sets are definitely much better.

Smurfs sets were the first MegaBloks sets I've ever seen and I think they're totally cute so I hope to be able to find the smaller HK sets like Pastry Chef or Picnic. I even got the PlayBIG Bloxx set just for the Kitty but Duplo is not my size.

Love Kitty's new friend! :laugh:

My dad got me MB HK set for Christmas... a little swingset. Yeah, MB definitely isn't LEGO quality, but it's cute, and I like the fence pieces in mine. And the kitty, of course.

Thanks for the review!

Thanks guys.

The price-to-parts ratio of this set is some 75 cents per piece, which I find hilarious. I love the Kitty figure and the candy - now what to do with the one-piece house and pathetic cart...:laugh:

Thanks for calculating the price to piece ratio. I forgot to do that.

The house is 2 piece, the roof comes off. Still not much building for this minimal build, quick to play set. I think I'll test the house with my Fabuland characters.

This is a really nice review - great, thorough pictures and descriptions, and you gave Vader a lollipop - and that's truly awesome. I have to confess...I have a thing for Hello Kitty. Full disclosure: my first job was being Hello Kitty, so I'm allowed! Once you've worn the costume, really, are there any boundaries left?

What was it like being Hello Kitty?

The Oxford HK set definitely looks nicer than MegaBloks. Probably more fun in building.