MikeyB

Interior or no interior

Hope I can get some feedback, ideas and their thought process from some of the builders out there on how they go about designing an MOC with an interior.

firstly I love interiors of builds. But have found them tough to do on smaller builds without messing up my idea for the exterior of a building.

I've had some issues regarding this with my Albion Armorer build. I've only starting MOCing recently but typically I will jot down details and ideas I would like to add to my build (for example with the my Durah the Beekeeper build, I knew I wanted the Beehives (called skeps) and a small shed for mead storage). I take these ideas and work on them first I hadn't done an interior yet but wanted to do to for my armorer. Pics are coming soon but it is a two story build with a shed overhang off the back. Problem is my ideas for the interior don't work with my ideas for the exterior! One issues was lack of parts and another was photographing it. In the process neither turned out the way I wanted and Im thinking of scrapping the idea of the interior.

I know about standard lego solutions (no backs on buildings, hinged walls, removable roofs) and really liked Siren-of-titan Drake's head Inn There are some fabulous interiors that looked like they were built as vignettes (I'm not sure if they are done that way or not. If not, it makes his whole build even more awesome) I like the thought of doing interiors as vignettes though.

anyone have any ideas?

Edited by MikeyB

I'd agree that Sirens-of-Titans' interior vignettes were fantastic. I personally very rarely build interiors - the reason being that unless you are going to design the MOC so that you can see inside then there is no point! I mostly can't be bothered with the hassle.

For me it's all about the exterior looks...and nothing to do with what's on the inside! :laugh::tongue:

I like interiors and if you are going to physically display the model then they really add to the MOC.

My Nocturnus tower has an interior, took a couple of extra hours to incorporate and it does make the build more complex, and I haven't even bothered to photograph the interior yet!! :sceptic:

I will take some interior shots shortly though.

build it however you like.

Edited by Dr.Cogg

I enjoy building interiors as it gives a very finished feel to the building, and can really make you think a lot more about things like window placement, balconies etc. Plus making furniture is fun! :classic: Of course sometimes wanting different colours and texture between the interior and exterior walls can make life difficult, as can deciding things like where to put access points between floors and what ceilings/roof beams should look like from the inside etc.

Different approaches have different problems - i find myself habitually making buildings without a back (like a dollhouse) as it gives very good interior access, but i am keen to try making hinged buildings and ones with removable panels so i can plonk them in the middle of a dio, with stuff all around them, rather than just on the edge of something. (I am currently experimenting with this approach for the stairwell in a castle gatehouse) Removable roofs like the modular buildings is another approach, but getting enough room and light to take photos of the inside is problematic.

One thing i've learnt from doing interiors is to always give yourself more floor space in your buildings than you think you need, especially if you have interior walls! Things get cramped awfully quickly.

I like the approach of making seperate vigs for interiors, although i guess you'd have to be careful to get the scale right, so that you don't end with impossibly large rooms for the exterior view! I think though, if you have a story to tell, like Sirens-of-Titan, that it's the best way to stage manage your figs. :thumbup:

Mr. Xenomurphy recently showed a very interesting way of showing an interior space in his amazing MOC Superman & Young Justice vs. Brainiac - a room seen through a smashed section of wall. I guess that's another way to suggest an interior (where a complete interior may not actually exist) - shallow DOF glimpses through windows or doorways etc.

Good luck and thank you! I've certainly enjoyed thinking about this issue some more. :classic:

Edited by gabe