501st Commando

Tie Fighter

gallery_101_23_281.gif

It's been a little while since I've posted a MOC, but I finally found some time to photograph my Tie Fighter. This was a tricky build, not only cause I mainly build mecha & dios, but because the from the start I wanted to make a brick built cockpit. After tinkering with some droid arms and flex tubing I finally came up with a solution. After that I built some snot wings which used multiple headlight bricks to create the hexagonal shape, and then connected the two. There are more pics in the gallery.

6516942471_b294cd6d9c.jpg

Gallery

This is an amazing build. :thumbup:

The only way I could think to improve it would be to put a 2x2 Round with Eight Bars in the cockpit, attached to the droid arms. Still, this is amazing. :sweet:

A wonderful solution to the cockpit / canopy on the TIE Fighter 501st Commando. I also love the pylons and the solar panels in SNOT, however it does make the hexagonal paneling standout a bit too much.

As an dedicated OT fan, I really love this TIE fighter. First I have to say; I haven't seen anything like this before when it comes to the cockpit. But I see you have left space in the center, where the droid arms are about to connect. How about connecting them all via a 3x3 dish? Would that fit?

Your build is very clean, SNOT'ted and you made use of some interesting techniques. Just one more thing, don't the bley ''stripes'' at both sides of the wings stick out too much? They are two plates high, yet if you could reduce it to just one, that would be perfect. Oh well, you probably did that because you had to connect it to the wings...as lego doesn't float (...yet :tongue: ).

Anyway, I think you made an overall nice representation of the TIE fighter. If I nitpick there are some points that could use a little extra work, but don't take that too seriously, the look of this ship is great and you certainly made it accurate enough to satisfy most of the OT fans if you ask me. :thumbup:

The best thing about this MOC is the brickbuilt approach to the cockpit viewport, which I sincerely hope to see continued in future TIE MOCs – it's leaps and bounds over the SPUD. From a distance, the SNOTed cockpit ball works as well - if there have been any other TIEs using this many cheese slopes, I haven't seen them. :laugh::thumbup: That being said, I do feel that some important details have been omitted from the cockpit ball (e. g. the back could use some reshaping), but I suppose that's understandable given the techniques used.

As for suggestions, I would recheck the angles on the wing panels. The pylons could also use some work, as they seem rather plain. :wink:

[...]

That being said, I do feel that some important details have been omitted from the cockpit ball (e. g. the back could use some reshaping), but I suppose that's understandable given the techniques used.

[...]

Don't you mean the top? Well, that's what the picture shows us at least.. :tongue:

Edited by Hollander

Don't you mean the top? Well, that's what the picture shows us at least.. :tongue:

The back... it needs to be more conical rather than spherical.

Those SNOT panels are just too thick:

How about this solution, then? The border is only a single plate thick, and the panel is mostly studless – much more visually appealing, I believe, than a one-stud-thick border. I’ve always preferred panels done this way on TIE MOCs as opposed to SNOT panels, and even more so on other TIEs like the x1 or the bomber, since the black mesh used on the panels of the later TIES (the original TIEs used black Koolshade, which looks very different) is noticeably thicker than the grey border. It's the same case as with System X-wings with SNOT wings - they just look too thick for me.

Wow, the brick built cockpit window really stands out as one of the most creative parts of this MOC! :wub: It really looks way better than the old pre-molded piece that has been used for official TIE models so far.

I have to agree with the comments above that some parts could use a bit more work, but you have done a great job so far. So i'm hoping you will continue to refine this great MOC and keep us updated of your progress! :thumbup:

It's always a pleasant surprise to see refreshing takes on frequently-MOCed SW ships like the TIE Fighter, and this one certainly stands out with its more spherical cockpit, clever brick-built viewport, and SNOT wings. Great work! pirate_thumbup.gif

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

How about connecting them all via a 3x3 dish? Would that fit?

:thumbup:

I tried that but it was to small, and 4x4 dishes are to large. The only other solution I could think of is cut flex tube, but I rather BL some than use my supply at hand.

It's always a pleasant surprise to see refreshing takes on frequently-MOCed SW ships like the TIE Fighter, and this one certainly stands out with its more spherical cockpit, clever brick-built viewport, and SNOT wings. Great work! pirate_thumbup.gif

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Thanks for the blog!

@-Thanks for all the great C@C everyone. I'll continue to work on this MOC over time and I'll be sure to post update when I do. :classic: