Sign in to follow this  
narbilu

Hemresa Gatehouse / Watchtower

Hemrasa

Right through the Mystic Isles lies a road straight to the Enchanted Forest. This road is called Hemresa. At the end of the main road through the Eastern Avalonia rises a Gatehouse leading to the Mystic Isles. This is the home of the Hemresa Legion.

Hemgränd

Hemgränd is the name of the gatehouse at the east end of Hemresa, leading to main land. A big sturdy wall-like building with massive doors keep uninvited guests out of the west Avalonian region.

As the legion awaits the next shipment of bricks, they finished the first part of the gatehouse and in order to show the Avalonian leaders the progress, here are some images:

gatehouse.jpg

gatehouse_2.jpg

gatehouse_3.jpg

gatehouse_4.jpg

gatehouse_river.jpg

As you can see the gatehouse isn't completely finished yet, but we had a deadline :laugh:

"with thanks to Derfel Cadarn, as an inspiration"

Edited by narbilu

This looks excellent! I can see a great scene building up here, lovely work on the whole layout. The gatehouse is looking great and I particularly like the wooden battlements at the top. Very impressive so far, I look forward to seeing more!

This looks excellent! I can see a great scene building up here, lovely work on the whole layout. The gatehouse is looking great and I particularly like the wooden battlements at the top. Very impressive so far, I look forward to seeing more!

I'll second that! Lovely job on all of the woodwork in this build.

Really nice start! I can see that you been inspired be our great leader but you have surely your own touch to it! Great job!!

Very nice. I am looking forward to seeing it once you have the rest of it filled up. So far though, right on. Perfect for our guild, nice detail, but not too busy.

Only bits of constructive criticism…

The transition from the dark green to the bright green foliage around the river looks a bit strange to me. Maybe it will look great when you are done, but maybe you could try the “regular” green foliage pieces instead or in add the “regular” green ones between the dark and bright green. Really up to you, just a thought.

Secondly, I like the fence running along the path as it looks well constructed, but I do not know who or what we are trying to keep out or in! If the fence is to force people to go through the gate, maybe the fence should be stronger, if it is instead to keep animals off the path to the gate, then I am not sure the portion between the gatehouse and river is needed, but that opinion may change depending on how you build the rest of this MOC.

Some may say, “Z, I think you are really nitpicking here, those are such minor details in a great start to a MOC!” and I would respond with, “When the builder shows he is capable of building a great and super detailed MOC, you have to go a little deeper if you want to make suggestions for improvements!”

Thank you for all your comments. A small reaction to ZCerberus:

The free space to the left of the gate will be very suitable for the thick wall that I'll build when the shipment of new bricks will arrive.

The same counts for the difference in foliage color. The fence is just a small detail for the Hemresa road.

I think somewhere between Xmas and New Year the MOC will be finished. Will post it asap.

Regards,

Narb

Cool. Like I said, when you are producing at a higher level, you need to look for smaller things to improve. Looking forward to seeing this!!