Sign in to follow this  
Brickdoctor

Heroica RPG - Quest #17: The Lion's Share

"I believe everyone has confirmed, so I believe we can go. It's not like we can't ask questions on the way there."

"Can I be made Lieutenant?"

"Fine. But you have no real powers, you know,"

"Lieutenant Finnegan! I like the sound of that!" :laugh:

"I still don't trust these guys' bosses, but I doubt the people here mean us any harm. At any rate, the Brobric have proven themselves to be hostile to all, and are the more serious threat. I am prepared to head out.

"Make no mistake, though, Largus. I'm not doing this for you, or for the Lion Knights, or the Hinckwells, or anyone else. I'm doing this because your bosses were either too greedy or too incompetent to avoid a war, and innocent people are getting caught in the crossfire. The Brobric need to be stopped. But in my eyes, you're just as responsible as the Shadeaux for letting them get out of hand."

Having confirmed your participation, you pile into a large carriage along with Commodore Largus. The driver expertly guides the vehicle safely and swiftly along Eubric Highway and, soon, the towers of Bric'Bay Fort can be seen rising in the distance.

hinckwellicon.pnghinckwellicon.pnghinckwellicon.pnghinckwellicon.pnghinckwellicon.png

ava-largus.png

"Excellent. It would appear that we have arrived in time. This way, heroes."

6508129291_16d389cf2d_b.jpg

You follow the commodore through the passages of the fort, arriving inside a room on the second floor of the largest tower. Despite the stressful situation he is in, the Lion commander has kept his quarters impeccably neat. Torches have been set in the wall holders, a table has been fashioned from some planks and a crate, a bed has been set in a corner, and one of the Lion's shields has been hung on the wall. Candles have also been installed in a chandelier, though they are not yet lit, as some daylight still streams in from the windows.

ava-largus.png

"Heroes, Sir Lawrence Comayne."

ava-lawrence.png

"Well met, heroes. I can't begin to express how grateful I am to have you here. My men are skilled, but your assistance will certainly be required if we are to hold this fort. Thank you for bringing them here, commodore."

ava-largus.png

"No trouble at all. If you'll excuse me, I must return to Eubric."

ava-lawrence.png

"Of course. Now then, heroes, your mission is simple. Keep the fort out of Brobric Elven hands. I've a map here for you to see:"

6508130559_c28c0624da_b.jpg

ava-lawrence.png

"Here's how it works: As you can see, the fort has five walls, five towers, and one gatehouse. Each of those has a certain amount of Health. The walls, towers, and gatehouse can only be damaged by siege weapons, and we fully expect the elves to bring some with them. If one of them falls to 0 Health, it will be breached, allowing elves to invade the fort. If the fort is breached and all heroes fall in battle, the fort will be lost, and the Quest will fail. To assist you, you can see that the largest tower has upon its top a mount designed to hold a catapult. Unfortunately, we don't have a catapult to put there. Also note that the West Wall is the weakest. It is protected by a large forest, but considering that these are forest elves attacking us, I don't think that counts for much.

"During a battle, you can either station yourself on the walls or towers or fight on the ground. Only ranged attacks will be able to deal Damage from atop the walls and towers. If you wish to move between towers, walls, and levels, you can take a Turn to do so, one Turn each. (e.g., one Turn to move from the Officer's Quarters to the North Wall, four Turns to move from the Catapult Mount to the Lookout Tower) Heroes inside walls or towers cannot be damaged unless the wall or tower is reduced to 0 Health; heroes atop walls or towers can only be damaged by enemies with ranged weapons.

"I suggest you take some time to explore the fort."

hinckwellicon.pnghinckwellicon.pnghinckwellicon.pnghinckwellicon.pnghinckwellicon.png

QM Note:

I hope that wasn't too confusing.

The goal of the quest is to defend the fort. You will not be able to succeed if you simply engage in battles. You need to figure out ways to improve your defenses. I don't care if you choose to be MacGyver, Roy Hinkley, or Indiana Jones; be creative.

I want you to be prepared, so there's no time limit for your actions between now and the first wave. (Of course, that doesn't mean you can call for reinforcements from halfway around the world or something. Keep it reasonable.)

OOC: While we explore for now, the elves won't attack us? Or will they attack us while we explore?

"I suggest we start with the armory first. Any objections?"

ava-arthur.jpg

"Sir, how far are we from the nearest civilian settlement? Would it be (relatively) safe to set fire to the woods near the West wall, thus denying the elves the benefeit of cover? Even better, would it be possible to weaken the trees, attach them to some sort of tripwire--actually, no, our Party Leader's Emerald or Sapphire could do that job--and thus crush the invaders beneath the falling trees?

"Is that a double porticullus? That is, two gates separated by a small enclosure? (Sorry, I forgot to check that as we passed inside.) If it is, we could leave the gates open, assign someone to wait until a group of elves has entered the enclosure, and trap them all inside.

"Does anyone else have any thoughts?"

OOC: While we explore for now, the elves won't attack us? Or will they attack us while we explore?

QM Note:

While you explore, you won't be attacked.

"Sir, how far are we from the nearest civilian settlement? Would it be (relatively) safe to set fire to the woods near the West wall, thus denying the elves the benefeit of cover? Even better, would it be possible to weaken the trees, attach them to some sort of tripwire--actually, no, our Party Leader's Emerald or Sapphire could do that job--and thus crush the invaders beneath the falling trees?

"Is that a double porticullus? That is, two gates separated by a small enclosure? (Sorry, I forgot to check that as we passed inside.) If it is, we could leave the gates open, assign someone to wait until a group of elves has entered the enclosure, and trap them all inside.

"Does anyone else have any thoughts?"

ava-lawrence.png

"Sure, you can set fire to the forest, though that might weaken the fort itself and make it easier for the elves to move siege weapons to attack the West Wall.

"Yes, you can try to drop trees on the elves. Can't say you have that high a chance of success, though.

"No, it's only a single portcullis, sorry."

ava-lawrence.png

"Yes, you can try to drop trees on the elves. Can't say you have that high a chance of success, though.

"Hmm...well, even if we don't crush them, the fallen trees would serve as a defensive barrier, something else the elves would have to get past. I doubt it would delay them for long, but every minute helps. Also, if we're willing to let some elves get close, we could drop the trees on their seige weapons. Those are universally slow and clumsy, if those pass through the trap, they would undoubtedly be damaged, if not destroyed outright.

"What was this fort's original purpose, if I may ask? Perhaps there is something in its design we could exploit to injure or trap our opponents. I doubt we could kill them outright without engaging in combat, but surely we can skew the odds in our favor, right?"

"Hmm...well, even if we don't crush them, the fallen trees would serve as a defensive barrier, something else the elves would have to get past. I doubt it would delay them for long, but every minute helps. Also, if we're willing to let some elves get close, we could drop the trees on their seige weapons. Those are universally slow and clumsy, if those pass through the trap, they would undoubtedly be damaged, if not destroyed outright.

"What was this fort's original purpose, if I may ask? Perhaps there is something in its design we could exploit to injure or trap our opponents. I doubt we could kill them outright without engaging in combat, but surely we can skew the odds in our favor, right?"

ava-lawrence.png

"The fort was built to defend an unnamed nearby bay which was used to shelter ships on the northern coast of Uland in the later stages of the Orcish invasion. The war never made it to the fort, which was later abandoned. We've worked for four months to restore it.

"Mage Althior, you may knock down trees with your magic, at the cost of 1 Ether per tree."

ava-lawrence.png

"The fort was built to defend an unnamed nearby bay which was used to shelter ships on the northern coast of Uland in the later stages of the Orcish invasion. The war never made it to the fort, which was later abandoned. We've worked for four months to restore it.

"Mage Althior, you may knock down trees with your magic, at the cost of 1 Ether per tree."

ava-arthur.jpg

"Hmm...you know now that I think of it, if we decide what floor or floors we want to be on, I could ice over the stairs and ladders to make it hard for the elves to reach us. Do you think that would work, sir?"

"And my Wind can be used to send elves attempting to climb the walls flying or knock over siege ladders."

ava-arthur.jpg

"Hmm...you know now that I think of it, if we decide what floor or floors we want to be on, I could ice over the stairs and ladders to make it hard for the elves to reach us. Do you think that would work, sir?"

ava-lawrence.png

"If you want to, you can, at the cost of 1 Ether per stair or ladder covered."

"I suggest we start with the armory first. Any objections?"

"The armory sounds like a reasonable place to begin. It would be wise to search the entire fort before we start to strategize, it might lead to clues on how we should go about defending it. And a catapult would definitely be helpful in a situation like this -- do we have the necessary skills and tools to build one?"

"The armory sounds like a reasonable place to begin. It would be wise to search the entire fort before we start to strategize, it might lead to clues on how we should go about defending it. And a catapult would definitely be helpful in a situation like this -- do we have the necessary skills and tools to build one?"

ava-arthur.jpg

"Yes, I agree, we chould at least try to build the catapult."

You travel first to the Armory.

6508514531_0a14a7f1bb_b.jpg

The Armory is far from full of weaponry. You can see that it has basically become a room in which any spare weapons are thrown. A couple crates have been opened and the wood that formed their tops stacked off to the side.

You travel first to the Armory.

6508514531_0a14a7f1bb_b.jpg

The Armory is far from full of weaponry. You can see that it has basically become a room in which any spare weapons are thrown. A couple crates have been opened and the wood that formed their tops stacked off to the side.

ava-arthur.jpg

"Hey...spare wood! I bet this will come in handy for building the catapult, and perhaps some other traps as well. Althior, with your permission, I'd like to take the wood for later."

Arthur then looks for anything that would be suitable for a mage.

Arasmyth sees Arthur rummage around in the weapons. "Excellent idea, m'boy," he says, then looks for anything that would be of use to the party, i.e. armor, weapons, wood & rope, etc.

"Hmm... I see lots of torches, maybe we could use water from the well or river to heat and prepare boiling water to scald the elves. I need to go back at the map and see what else we have."

Looking through the crates, you find:

standard-issue-sword.jpg

Standard-issue Sword
- (WP: 1; suitable for all Classes)
This simple iron sword, purchased from the Shadeaux, is useable by all Classes and must be returned to the Lion Knights at the end of the Quest.

standard-issue-halberd.jpg

Standard-issue Halberd
- (WP: 1
Total Damage doubled against mounted enemies and enemies scaling walls
; suitable for all Classes)
This cheap halberd, purchased from the Shadeaux, is ideal for pulling enemies off of horses or pushing them off walls. Useable by all Classes, it must be returned to the Lion Knights at the end of the Quest.

standard-issue-crossbow.jpg

Standard-issue Crossbow
- (WP: 1; suitable for all Classes)
This crossbow, designed for ease of use by all Classes, was purchased from the Shadeaux and must be returned to the Lion Knights at the end of the Quest.

In the second crate, you find half a dozen stones, hollowed out and obviously designed to be filled with another substance and fired from a catapult.

QM Note:

You can't just ask for a list of useful items. Theoretically, anything and everything in the fort could be put to some use. I've listed obvious items designed for a single purpose, but it's your job to decide what the useful items are and where and how to use them. Be creative. Think outside the box. Don't limit yourself to the powers listed in the Rules topic.

6508129291_16d389cf2d_b.jpg

ava-arthur.jpg

Arthur thinks back to the shield in the Officers' Quarters. "Any chance we could borrow that shield from the Officers' Quarters? And what was in that bottle on your desk?" While he waits for answers, he picks up and examines the quiver lying on the floor of the armory.

Arthur thinks back to the shield in the Officers' Quarters. "Any chance we could borrow that shield from the Officers' Quarters? And what was in that bottle on your desk?" While he waits for answers, he picks up and examines the quiver lying on the floor of the armory.

You recall that the shield belongs to Sir Lawrence and that he will be keeping that in case he has to do battle. You also recall that that bottle is actually an unlit lantern.

You pick up the quiver, but there's nothing special about it. Just a leather pouch filled with arrows.

Arasmyth examines the box of what appears to be decapitated gray heads.

QM Note:

Ahem.

In the second crate, you find half a dozen stones, hollowed out and obviously designed to be filled with another substance and fired from a catapult.

ava-arthur.jpg

Arthur puts the quiver with the crossbow. He asks, "How many staircases are here? Would it be possible to destroy all but one of them before the Elves get here?"

In the meanwhile, he takes as many cannonballs as he can carry. "If there's nothing else here, I'd like to take the wood and the cannonballs up to the catapult mount."