CorneliusMurdock

New Licensed Theme Rumor Mill

I doubt LEGO will produce sets based on a cartoon where one of the main characters is a robot that literally has to drink alcohol to survive (unlike the characters in The Simpsons where the characters who are most associated with alcohol like Moe and Barney and Duffman are minor enough that LEGO can get away without producing them in the line). Oh and he also smokes like crazy, gambles, steals and does other things that are still a step too far for LEGO even with the other things they have done up to now.

You get thieves and bad guys in LEGO City but unlike Bender, those thieves are clearly identified as bad and always get caught by the ever-present police.

11 hours ago, jonwil said:

I doubt LEGO will produce sets based on a cartoon where one of the main characters is a robot that literally has to drink alcohol to survive (unlike the characters in The Simpsons where the characters who are most associated with alcohol like Moe and Barney and Duffman are minor enough that LEGO can get away without producing them in the line). Oh and he also smokes like crazy, gambles, steals and does other things that are still a step too far for LEGO even with the other things they have done up to now.

You get thieves and bad guys in LEGO City but unlike Bender, those thieves are clearly identified as bad and always get caught by the ever-present police.

Well, I heard rumors of a LEGO Stranger Things D2C set on Instagram. So LEGO may be unleashing their mature side soon. If that rumor was debunked, please let me know.

13 hours ago, jonwil said:

Um... Jack Sparrow.

To say nothing of Johnny Depp's real life behavior...

LEGO has said in the past that there is a difference between alcohol in a modern context and alcohol in a historical context (which is why its ok in POTC but not ok in The Simpsons)

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Yet at the same time...

P.S. Credit to @Renny The Spaceman for highlighting this tweet over on TLM2 discussion topic.

I really don’t get why they put him in the movie. They should make the movie with the standard of the products. He’s not even specific to a role.

6 hours ago, jonwil said:

LEGO has said in the past that there is a difference between alcohol in a modern context and alcohol in a historical context (which is why its ok in POTC but not ok in The Simpsons)

Futurama takes place in the distant future in a sci fi world. So I see Benders drinking as no different than drinking in the Pirates franchise or even Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Whovastron said:

I really don’t get why they put him in the movie. They should make the movie with the standard of the products. He’s not even specific to a role.

Yeah I don't get it, they didn't call him John Mclain they called him Bruce Willis. 

I imagine it is more down to him wanting a too big slice of the revenue if he is a minifigure than because of the audience being young children. But I doubt that is an allowed answer to a tweet.

On 3/5/2019 at 12:57 AM, Whovastron said:

Exactly this. There’s quite a few properties from the last few years that definitely wouldn’t fit what most people consider Lego’s guidelines.

big bang theory and friends are pretty much based around sex and sex references.

jurassic park/world, ghostbusters, Indiana Jones and gremlins have all sorts; Several of the Jurassic films have horror elements, some blood and gore and generally scary stuff. Indiana Jones has some very disturbing seen and plenty of violence and nazis. Ghostbusters used to scare me as a kid, so there’s that. And I think gremlins and goodies have some scary stuff, but I’ve not seen them in a long time. Beetlejuice has a lot of adult humour, as does ghostbusters.

mission impossible also has a few disturbing scenes, and doesn’t shy away from blood. And then there’s the James Bond branding for the Aston Martin. 

and then there’s the Simpsons, that got huge backlash for being inappropriate, and yet here we are getting all these themes subsequently.

i think it’s entirely possible that something like stranger things could happen. There’s a lot more gore in the show compared to any of this other stuff, but that’s all there really is, otherwise is just like one of these other 80s themes from Dimensions 

LEGO get round all of that by not showing sex references, or not showing minifigures with gunshot wounds or being eaten by dinosaurs. So long as they show sanitized type vignettes, there seems not to be a problem. That is why it is a shame they didn't do the same with The Simpsons. They could have done Barney and Moe in Pin-Pals outfits, or Barney as an astronaut or Plow King.

22 hours ago, MAB said:

LEGO get round all of that by not showing sex references, or not showing minifigures with gunshot wounds or being eaten by dinosaurs. So long as they show sanitized type vignettes, there seems not to be a problem. That is why it is a shame they didn't do the same with The Simpsons. They could have done Barney and Moe in Pin-Pals outfits, or Barney as an astronaut or Plow King.

Friends is really a show about adult issues interlaced with comedy. Same with Big Bang Theory. If they can't put Bruce Willis in a set because he's starred in some action movies, they really shouldn't have made these sets.

That's not even mentioning the incestuous themes in Back to the Future. :laugh:

On 3/4/2019 at 5:10 PM, Robert8 said:

The property doesnt fit with TLG's guidelines

Their guidelines are pretty arbitrary.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:33 PM, strangely said:

I always find it funny when people talk about TLG's guidelines, because at the end of the day, if Lego thinks it's a good idea, they'll make it if it fits those guidelines or not.

... One person might look at Stranger Things and see it as a violent television show involving gruesome deaths and child endangerment and another person might look at it and see it as being in the same vein as the Goonies. Results may vary.

It really is more like the Goonies.  And you're right, they will make it if they want to, guidelines be damned.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:21 PM, Brick Cucumber said:

Friends is really a show about adult issues interlaced with comedy. Same with Big Bang Theory. If they can't put Bruce Willis in a set because he's starred in some action movies, they really shouldn't have made these sets.

That's not even mentioning the incestuous themes in Back to the Future. :laugh:

They don't show "adult issues" in The Big Bang Theory LEGO set. They don't show incest in the BTTF LEGO sets.

If they only restricted themselves to IPs where there was nothing that is unsuitable for minors, then we'd probably be stuck with only things like Teletubbies, Dora the Explorer and Thomas the Tank Engine. Although even in those properties, people would complain about gay issues (Teletubbies), gender stereotyping and body image issues (Dora) and body size and gender issues (Thomas).

8 minutes ago, MAB said:

If they only restricted themselves to IPs where there was nothing that is unsuitable for minors, then we'd probably be stuck with only things like Teletubbies, Dora the Explorer and Thomas the Tank Engine.

...if only we could have Thomas the Tank Engine. MATTEL OWNS THE FRANCHISE NOW!!! :damn:

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

...if only we could have Thomas the Tank Engine. MATTEL OWNS THE FRANCHISE NOW!!! :damn:

That’s exactly how I feel about Mega Construx having their hands on the Pokémon license.

13 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

That’s exactly how I feel about Mega Construx having their hands on the Pokémon license.

But Nintendo owns the Pokémon franchise, not Mattel, right? 

With regard to the Bruce Willis stuff, I think their answer was less because they think he's not appropriate for kids as that he's not interesting to kids. Same as how they haven't had any other minifigures in sets based on real-life actors who are more well known for the fictional characters they play.

Like, let's be honest. To a kid who hasn't seen any Bruce Willis movies, the only defining traits of the Bruce Willis minifigure as he appears in the movie are that he's bald and wears a gross-looking tank top. Without the context of his roles in this or other films, his design isn't cool, cute, colorful, stylish, fun, or funny in the way that most characters who are designed to appear in sets are.

It's the same as why Super Heroes sets focus almost exclusively on exciting action scenes, not on calmer or more suspenseful scenes. Even if a movie or comic book character or setting is well designed, that alone isn't enough to make it a fun toy that kids will want to play with. There's not much play value in a "Peter Parker gets detention" or "Tony Stark and Captain America argue about the Sokovia accords" set.

Edited by Aanchir

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

But Nintendo owns the Pokémon franchise, not Mattel, right? 

Actually, Nintendo only owns 1/3 of the IP while the other two thirds are owned by Creatures, Inc. and Game Freak. You’re right, though. Nintendo is the primary owner of Pokémon.

23 hours ago, Aanchir said:

With regard to the Bruce Willis stuff, I think their answer was less because they think he's not appropriate for kids as that he's not interesting to kids.

We've gotten coffee shop owners, presidents and generic chefs. Not to mention characters kid's would find boring like Jor-El. I don't see why we wot get him in a TLM2 minifgures series 2 if they plan it.

2 hours ago, Brick Cucumber said:

We've gotten coffee shop owners, presidents and generic chefs. Not to mention characters kid's would find boring like Jor-El. I don't see why we wot get him in a TLM2 minifgures series 2 if they plan it.

Baristas, chefs, and presidents are people who have jobs with specific responsibilities, and dress in attire indicative of those jobs. Also, when designed by LEGO, they usually have fun, evocative facial expressions, detailed headgear or hairstyles, and appear with builds or accessories that help contextualize who they are and what they do.

Jor-El is a super-powered character who wears cool futuristic armor, a wizard-like gown, and a cape, plus a costume that makes it obvious that he's related to Superman even if you have never known about Superman's parents or origin story.

These are "boring" compared to "middle-aged bald man with stubble and white T-shirt" only if you know actually know who Bruce Willis is and what kinds of film roles he's associated with. And most kids won't know those things… the context of the movie might give them the sense that he's a gruff-voiced person who spends a lot of time in air ducts, but none of that even touches on the cooler or more interesting stuff that he does or that happens to him in films like Die Hard.

Edited by Aanchir

Well, it looks like Brick Fanatics (and in turn, @tormentalous's The Brick Fan) is reporting on this rumored Stranger Things D2C set:

Per Brick Fanatics...

Brick Fanatics has received word that a LEGO Stranger Things set may be released later this year.

As if LEGO Hidden Side was not about to bring enough spooky mystery to the world of the brick, Brick Fanatics understands that a set based on Stranger Things will launch later in 2019. The single set is likely to be a D2C exclusive, available only through LEGO Stores and shop.LEGO.com.

The LEGO set based on the series is expected to include a real-world location and a section of the Upside Down, the other reality that is unleashing the Demogorgon upon the people of Hawkins. No more information is available yet, but the core child characters – Eleven, Mike, Dustin and Lucas – seem like must-haves.

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, it looks like Brick Fanatics (and in turn, @tormentalous's The Brick Fan) is reporting on this rumored Stranger Things D2C set:

Per Brick Fanatics...

When we blogged about this 2 weeks ago people wrote us messages telling us we were liers. I still have screenshots of someone promising to eat two Joyce Byers minifigures on camera if this happens. Well... that should be fun :D

I‘m still reluctant to believe this, but it would be amazing if it happened :purrr: 

9 minutes ago, StoneWarsDE said:

When we blogged about this 2 weeks ago people wrote us messages telling us we were liers. I still have screenshots of someone promising to eat two Joyce Byers minifigures on camera if this happens. Well... that should be fun :D

:roflmao:

“I’ve got some news of a brand new rumour” - the sites reporting this

urgh, this was leaked weeks ago. They guy who leaked it even said people would ignore what he leaked when someone else leaked it

10 hours ago, StoneWarsDE said:

Haha, yup that was me :roflmao: :roflmao:

I never said anything about two figures though, only one :wink: