CorneliusMurdock

New Licensed Theme Rumor Mill

TMNT seems likely, but i'd much rather have lone ranger sets. that is a rumor simply based on the fact that they amde POP and POTC sets and this is from the same people kindof.

I've suggested in rumor threads previously that TMNT sets would make perfect sense, seeing as LEGO already has a good working relationship going with Viacom for the Spongebob sets (not to mention the previous Avatar sets).

TMNT is right up there on my personal most-wanted list for LEGO themes. :thumbup:

I would love to have TMNT sets! I grew up on those guys. COWABUNGA! :grin:

I would love TMNT sets. I think MegaBlocks made them before, but I'm not too sure. I still have a load of the old action figures. :wub:

Sorry, but SERIOUSLY?! Freakin TMNT is supposed to get sets, but not Legend of Kora?? :damn: The upcoming series looks terrible, and the planned Michael Bay movie certainly doesn't sound any better. :sick: I know TMNT would probably be a more long lasting theme than LOK, but come on, LOK would be so much better as a theme! TMNT will just be Ninjago with turtles. :hmpf_bad: Maybe I'm biased because I haven't watched much TMNT, so I shouldn't be so quick to judge, and I must admit that if it does happen, I'd probably buy a set or two. We'll just have to wait and see how this turns out.

Actually, if Smashing Bricks is right, Ninjago will continue and probably coexist with TMNT. :wacko:

Yea I agree with you about korra,it's much better cartoon and the new version of TMNT is one of the worst CGI cartoon caracters ever,kidish cartoon now days,and seriously now I'm sick of this crazy ninja themes like ninjago I'm sick of it,I hope it's replacement will worth the wait.I'm cmon ninjas riding bikes,skeletons driving monster trucks and snakes driving chopers,if it wasnt the cartoon and the spiners the theme wouldnt be such a hit.Thank god we have themes like LOTR the upcoming Hobbit so we can spend or money for some real worthy sets.Well thats my opinion.

TMNT is nothing like Ninjago. Just because both have Ninja in the title does not make them similar. Ninjago has its crazy vehicles and skeleton/snake/who knows what's next villains. TMNT is usually set in the real world, with villains usually being other mutant creatures plus Shredder, a human. The style of sets would really not overlap very much.

Both are about a team of four ninjas with with different colors/weapons/skills/personalities and their sensei fighting various evil creatures in a modern day setting. Ninjago was obviously modeled after those Saturday morning ninja TV shows from the 90s. And as it has already been said, there have been several crazy turtle-themed vehicles in the line of TMNT toys, so I wouldn't be surprised if TLG made similar ones, even if they have to make up their own. It probably wont have skeleton monster trucks or snake-shaped choppers, but the concept behind the theme would still be the same. And it certainly wouldn't be as different as the large variety of awesome steampunk vehicles that LoK would have to offer. :sadnew:

:rofl: Thank you! That goes a long way to prove my point! :thumbup:

TMNT seems likely, but I'd much rather have lone ranger sets. that is a rumor simply based on the fact that they made POP and POTC sets and this is from the same people kind of.

Well, Lone Ranger sets would be under the Disney license whereas TMNT is under the Nick license and will probably replace Spongebob. The Disney theme for 2013 is still unknown, so there's a good chance Lone Ranger might be it, although I'm still crossing my fingers for Monsters Inc/University sets. Then again, if Cars ends next year, we might get both, which would be even better! :sweet:

Reading between the lines....I'll guess that our Disney live action theme for 2013 will be the Lone Ranger, but this TMNT....hmm, logical that Lego might consider this for the same reason as for the Lone Ranger.....weapons and accessories are ready to rock and roll. Only new molds for the turtles themselves.....oop's forgot one ninja rat. :blush:

Sponge Bob has been quite profitable for Lego....so unless the series is being shelved Lego would not consider axing a cash-cow.....they might have finally learnt from the mistakes of the past.....remember the Batman stuff-up ! :devil::laugh:

A Lone Ranger theme released next year would be great. :moar:

New parts and figs, hopefully some good structures etc.

My life was ninja turtles when I was a kid. If this theme actually happens I'll be flat broke. Between the Star Wars sets in want and series 8 of the CMF I'll buy every single TMNT set. Regardless of how good or bad they are.

I'll cross my fingers for this theme. :thumbup:

Just some thoughts.

Lego has stated that they try to choose licensed themes based on longevity. A theme needs to have an established 'track record' if you will - a history of past success as well as current appeal. I can't say whether Legend of Kora would make a good LEGO theme or not - in fact, I don't even have a clue what that is. Which might help prove my point. Ninja Turtles have been around in one form or another since the late 1980's, when I first picked up a figure from the Playmates toy line. (Though yes I realize the comics came before. :wink: )

Looking at the current and past themes, this seems to fit well. Most seem to have around a decade of success, at minimum.

Lord of the Rings - really started to pick up in the literary world in the early 70's and has a strong following since in both print and television/film. (With the past ten years being perhaps more relevant in regards to the LEGO license.)

Star Wars - I probably don't need to explain. :grin:

DC and Marvel-based properties - again, we know these have been popular for decades.

Sponge Bob - has actually been around longer than I thought (time really does fly) and is still actually very popular.

Pirates of the Caribbean - I could argue that it started with the theme park attraction in the 60's, but when you think about it, the films have been around almost 10 years now, and really helped rekindle the public's love of Pirates.

Harry Potter - again should need no explanation.

Toy Story - another property that has thrived for the past 10 years, though apparently not quite as much as TLG was hoping based on what I heard of set sales.

Indiana Jones - has an established track record, but really kind of fell off the map for most people until the fourth film, which had it's share of problems. Had it been stronger, it might have helped the line stay around a bit longer. Quite a shame it didn't.

Prince of Persia - perhaps the official 'black sheep' example. There's a reason this line didn't do so well. I don't think the video game was all that entrenched in the public consciousness, and the film, well... :hmpf:

Any other examples you guys can think of? Following this train of thought, I'm not sure a Lone Ranger theme would be profitable (though the parts would indeed be cool), but then they did proceed with POP, so who knows.

Edited by Miles

Actually, if Smashing Bricks is right, Ninjago will continue and probably coexist with TMNT. :wacko:

What about a Cross-Over? If Lego wants to replace Ninjago with TMNT, they simply could make some Crossover-Sets at the begining and at the end of possible TMNT. And this way Ninjago could replace TMNT later again.

Ninja Turtles has a chance. Nickelodeon owns the Ninja Turtles at this point. They already have good ties to Lego through Spongebob. Ninjago is disappearing. I'd love to see them.

What I don't want to see is that new Micheal Bay Ninja Turtles where they're aliens and it's terrible just like those horrible Transformer movies. Luckily that movie seems to be stalled (hopefully killed) so the Lego sets would likely be based on the new CGI movie coming out. Hopefully they'd have a classic turtle set too.

Edited by BrickG

What about a Cross-Over? If Lego wants to replace Ninjago with TMNT, they simply could make some Crossover-Sets at the begining and at the end of possible TMNT. And this way Ninjago could replace TMNT later again.

There would probably be licensing problems with that, not that the kids can't do it themselves. Anyway, for all we know Ninjago might only have a winter wave before TMNT takes over in the Summer or Ninjago will just be downsized next year.

A TMNT theme would explain why TLG has put money into creating a Sai piece. Sure it fitted well into the NinjaGO theme, but it wasn't an important weapon in that world. Not as important as it would be in a TMNT theme.

I would really be interested in seeing an Oz: The Great and Powerful theme, although the Lone Ranger is more likely and a chance to return to a western Lego theme would be cool.

In fact I was even predicting a Lone Ranger theme back in 2011. I'm really hoping I'm right. :grin:

EDIT: Here is some news on TMNT over on Hoth Bricks. I believe it says something about the theme being confirmed by a reliabe source. I'm not too excited, although I always did like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when I was a kid.

Edited by Walter

I sure hope we get Legend of Korra. It's a great show, and has a giant following with kids, teens, and adults. The building and vehicle designs were also awesome.

If we got a theme, I would say:

Chi-Blocker Tank vs. Korra (Korra, Chi Blocker, and Chief Saikhan)

General Iroh vs. Equalist fighter planes (General Iroh and 3 Equalist bomber plane pilots)

Bolin and Asami Sato vs. Hiroshi Sato (Bolin, Asami, Chi Blocker, Hiroshi Sato)

Equalist Booster Pack (5x Chi Blockers, Lieutenant, Amon (With mask))

Out of The Past (Older Aang, Older Toph, Older Sokka, and Yakone)

Equalist Revolution (Korra, Mako, Amon (Without mask), 2x Chi Blockers, and Lieutenant)

Air Bending Temple (Korra, Lin Beifong, Tenzin, the airbending babies, Pema, and Tarrlok)

A TMNT theme would be kinda weird, though. How would the turtles be done? Would they be minifigs or a bunch of new molded parts?

Here is some news on TMNT over on Hoth Bricks. I believe it says something about the theme being confirmed by a reliabe source. I'm not too excited, although I always did like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when I was a kid.

That's excellent news!! Not an official confirmation yet, but we're one step closer... :wink:

It has already been posted... :wink:

I would really be interested in seeing an Oz: The Great and Powerful theme, although the Lone Ranger is more likely and a chance to return to a western Lego theme would be cool.

In fact I was even predicting a Lone Ranger theme back in 2011. I'm really hoping I'm right. :grin:

EDIT: Here is some news on TMNT over on Hoth Bricks. I believe it says something about the theme being confirmed by a reliabe source. I'm not too excited, although I always did like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when I was a kid.

I don't really get why people don't like new licensed themes. I personally love 'em. :grin:

It has already been posted... :wink:

I don't really get why people don't like new licensed themes. I personally love 'em. :grin:

Oh well my bad,still TMNT is like a sub theme to the Ninjago theme I mean look 4 ninjas with four diff collors,one bad guy dressed like a samurai,a wise leader,a girl in the team and the whole ninja thing is exact the same and the are few diff between them,but I would love much more a lego TMNT theme rather ninjago because it's to kidish and to much imaginasion for me well now I'm a teen but I grew up watching the turtels and I love em so I have no problem with them,and I cant wait to see how shredder will look like in the lego form :laugh:

Wouldn't Iron man 3 pass for the disney theme next year? like I guess avengers did 2012.

Hopefully don't dont add new themes and push out LOTR i would like to see that going for a while.

we know WB will get atleast one Man of steel movie set.

Edited by deskp

I'll be looking forward to seeing how TMNT sets turn out (if the rumour is true). I used to love the action figures...a lot of nostalgia is being stirred up in me right now.

Only problem is, I don't have the money to spare on the Ninja Turtles! :laugh: I suppose waiting and seeing is our only option right now.

It would be interesting to see how a TMNT theme would be done. It doesn't seem the right time for this theme in my opinion however. The cartoon series ended long ago and the Micheal Bay film is in trouble at the moment. Still would be good to see some turtle power though.

It would be interesting to see how a TMNT theme would be done. It doesn't seem the right time for this theme in my opinion however. The cartoon series ended long ago and the Micheal Bay film is in trouble at the moment. Still would be good to see some turtle power though.

Theres a new cgi animated tv series at the moment.

September 29th here in the US is the new Ninja Turtles. I'm... cautious about it. I really wish they'd do one that's less kid oriented.