CorneliusMurdock

New Licensed Theme Rumor Mill

Kids love the Simpsons, you can walk into most clothing shops and find a child size t-shirt with Bart on the front of it. It's supposed to be a family show, and while it's kind of lost that touch as it's gotten older, some of the earlier seasons are great family fun.

Just because there's a shirt on the rack, doesn't mean kids love the show.

In my opinoin, this is much a bigger issue than whether the content of the show is appropriate or not. This seems like a marketing deal that's at least 10 years too late.

As for the content -- that seems like an overblown concern to me. When the show does tackle more grown-up issues like sex or religion, it's usually done in the service of characterization, story, or satire. Compare that to something like Family Guy, which is all about shock value.

This. I don't even know how long it's been since I've seen Simpsons toys. Whether that be in TRU/Target or in Happy Meal toys at fast food joints. It may just be my area, I don't know, but they don't seem very relevant lately among the kids.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Spongebob is gay, Dumbledore is gay. This is really a non-issue; especially when it apply's to a minor character such as Smithers.

Indiana Jones has Nazis' and alcohol, heck the first movie had a large drinking scene. POTC also has a lot of alcohol, as well as sexual innuendos and graphic violence.

Simpsons could be a theme in my opinion, but I don't understand why now all of a sudden. It's really random.

Yeah I really don't see what the issue is with the "it has adult themes!" people, I don't think they have ever seen the show. LEGO makes a wine bottle piece, Jack from PotC is a drunken crazy wacko. There are no issues here.

The only thing to me is that why? I don't see LEGO and The Simpsons having a lot of cross over fans, I think it will sell very poorly.

However I'd love some of the hair pieces.

I'd be OK if it were solely a minifigure line. The only common vehicles I can really think of are The Simpsons family car, the school bus and Grounds Keeper Willy's tractor. The most popular Buildings are the family home, Springfield Elementary, Moes Tavern and the Nuclear power plant. I just cant see how this could work well, and within Lego's own guidelines.

If it were solely minifigures though, then there are 100's of possibilities - http://thebizzare.com/cool/simpsons-all-cast-pic/

I'd love to get a Montgomery Burns, Kang and Kudos, Comic Book Store Guy and Krusty.

Hate to be negative, but I hope this is false information. The Simpsons is dying, (finally), and this seems like a move to make it "hip with the kids again." TLG, don't do it! Don't let the Simpsons drag you down! I can already imagine the commercials: "Your two favorite yellow people, COMBINED!" Ugh.

I know! If TLG starts making Simpsons, I'm going to be plunged into a state of the deepest depression. Please, please, please, don't do it! :sing:

I'd be OK if it were solely a minifigure line. The only common vehicles I can really think of are The Simpsons family car, the school bus and Grounds Keeper Willy's tractor. The most popular Buildings are the family home, Springfield Elementary, Moes Tavern and the Nuclear power plant. I just cant see how this could work well, and within Lego's own guidelines.

If it were solely minifigures though, then there are 100's of possibilities - http://thebizzare.co...s-all-cast-pic/

I'd love to get a Montgomery Burns, Kang and Kudos, Comic Book Store Guy and Krusty.

It would be kind of cool if LEGO made two new CMF series a year and then have two Simpson CMF series. That would be a load of fun.

How many sets does LEGO need? Just a few, 5-6. The house, bus, car, maybe treehouse.

Cult Following..? Are you kidding..? This isn't the Rocky Horror Picture Show we're talking about here... How many Billion Dollar Cult followings are there out there...?

If Lego has the opportunity to do the Simspsons theme, they would be crazy to not do it... You are talking about a quarter century worth of comedic iconic history...

And for people singing the blues over political correctness, Lego put a freakin' marijuana plant in the 10220 T1 Camper Van... Who cares..? It was funny...

As for people not knowing how many sets they could do, I can think of tons :/

Simpsons car

House (probs the living room)

Barts tree house

School bus

Kwiki mart

Homers part of the power plant

Mr Burns' office

Hell, even obscurities abound

The car homer designed for his brother

Bart-man

Radioactive man movie set (mcbane)

The boat they lived on when sideshow bob was out to kill Bart

Camp Krusty

The line could be huge.

Edited by iamste

....I mean they freakin' showed Bart's penis in the movie.

OH NO A CARTOON PENIS!! That must be the worst image on the Internet! :wacko:

If this happens I can't wait - I'd be a buyer.

To those telling TLG to think it over - 750 million dollars of Simpsons Merchandise was sold in 2008 and it has been said that "....The Simpsons "without doubt is the biggest licensing entity that Fox has had, full stop....... in either TV or film." TLG is is a business that likes to make a profit. End of story. Can't blame them for trying right?

If they can sell Jack the Drunken Pirate, they can sell The Simpsons.

This theme is just a really bad idea for several reasons and will probably end up like , PoP, Avatar the last Air bender ,Spounge Bob, PotC.

we could have a Springfield powerplant as a new architecture set that would be easy and instantly recognisable

springfield-npp.jpg

Also everyone wants a monorail now, and look at the new modular theatre (the posters featuring a monorail) i think LEGO are onto something

Edited by spzero

This Simpson's theme has so much potential that it is scary. :devil:

This theme is just a really bad idea for several reasons and will probably end up like , PoP, Avatar the last Air bender ,Spounge Bob, PotC.

Cult Following..? Are you kidding..? This isn't the Rocky Horror Picture Show we're talking about here... How many Billion Dollar Cult followings are there out there...?

If Lego has the opportunity to do the Simspsons theme, they would be crazy to not do it... You are talking about a quarter century worth of comedic iconic history...

And for people singing the blues over political correctness, Lego put a freakin' marijuana plant in the 10220 T1 Camper Van... Who cares..? It was funny...

:laugh: Isn't that the truth! Lego and their double standards. We all know what they meant with that plant!

Cool idea! Funny thing, I was allowed to watch The Simpsons when I was kid even my parents are conservative and religious! Anyway that got me wondering what kind of Lego sets should we expect to see for The Simpsons? My guess would be:

-The Simpsons house

-Moe's?

-Elementary school?

-Nuclear power plant?

-Bart's treehouse?

-Springfield mall?

What else am I missing?

OH NO A CARTOON PENIS!! That must be the worst image on the Internet! :wacko:

If this happens I can't wait - I'd be a buyer.

To those telling TLG to think it over - 750 million dollars of Simpsons Merchandise was sold in 2008 and it has been said that "....The Simpsons "without doubt is the biggest licensing entity that Fox has had, full stop....... in either TV or film." TLG is is a business that likes to make a profit. End of story. Can't blame them for trying right?

If they can sell Jack the Drunken Pirate, they can sell The Simpsons.

Really? Would/ have you shown pictures of peoples 'areas' to your kid(s)? Just because there's worse things on the Internet doesn't mean it's ok to be in a cartoon. Wow, they sold a lot of merchandise 5 years ago...

But, on second thought, I hope this is real. Then I can save money by not buying the sets and put it towards other sets and hopefully get all of my want list covered. Bring on the Simpsons! :grin:

my thoughts?

meh...

What can I say?

I hope it's true.

If it's not, i won't care.

as long as Star Wars

is around my lego life will never be dull, lol!

Really? Would/ have you shown pictures of peoples 'areas' to your kid(s)? Just because there's worse things on the Internet doesn't mean it's ok to be in a cartoon. Wow, they sold a lot of merchandise 5 years ago...

But, on second thought, I hope this is real. Then I can save money by not buying the sets and put it towards other sets and hopefully get all of my want list covered. Bring on the Simpsons! :grin:

He's a 10 year old boy, it's not exactly like they're showing full on grown man privates.

Did anyone consider the thought that these dealings with Fox could lead to more potential licenses? Like X-Men and Fantastic Four perhaps?

-Omi

That's a happy thought Omi. I just wonder if it would be necessary with the partnership with Marvel in place. I mean, I know the movies are different but I would imagine they could make comic based sets and still benefit from the movies being out. Maybe, HOPEFULLY, I'm mistaken and it leads to X-Men sets sooner. I'm still quite puzzled by how little love X-Men has gotten and I guess it stands to reason they are waiting for the movies. It's kind of a good thing for me though since Middle Earth is around...

Did anyone consider the thought that these dealings with Fox could lead to more potential licenses? Like X-Men and Fantastic Four perhaps?

-Omi

I think eventually when the Marvel and DC contract ends with Lego in 2014 a new one will be written that includeds Lego's right to make some X-Men and Fantastic Four sets.

If this is true, I think this theme is about 20 years too late. I don't recall a single Simpsons episode after about 1995 that was really funny and I don't really think kids within LEGO's age group are big Simpsons fans. I completely stopped watching the show about 8-10 years ago. I actually watched the new episode last week and didn't find it remotely funny.

The show has become a parody of itself.

I think eventually when the Marvel and DC contract ends with Lego in 2014 a new one will be written that includeds Lego's right to make some X-Men and Fantastic Four sets.

I was thinking on the lines of the X-Men and Fantastic Four movies. Which Marvel can't give the consent to anyways. Because Fox owns those rights.

-Omi

Just like the portal says: Say What? The Simpsons. Yuck. I can not believe the TLG is doing this. :sick:

I second that, i really hop this rumor is not true.

I second that, i really hop this rumor is not true.

Can you tell why?

Pro's for the Simpsons;

It's iconic and well known

Tons of possible sets, vehicles and scenes, its like a demented version of City

Tons of distinct well known characters that adapt well to minifig form

Con's

It's a very old property, hat hasn't really driven children's play in 15 years. Adult interest high, kids? Maybe not so much. And even then I think a lot of the adults would prefer Futurama.

Forget Smithers is gay, that's. non issue. The problem becomes some other iconic settings and themes that Lego has traditionally eschewed. Moe's Tavern (granted we did get a tavern in PotC) or how about the church and the Reverend and Flanders, etc?

How does the Simpsons play internationally?

While I think some Simpsons sets would be cool to have, I can't quite picture them back in the toy aisles to the degree that the worlds largest toy company is pushing them?

I'm not sure why everyone loves Futurama so much. I still enjoy the Simpsons. Those characters will always hold a place in my life, probably since I started watching them early in their life. But I've seen most of Futurama episodes and I guess I don't understand the humor because I barely laugh at all, but Homer and his antics is non-stop laughter. Odd since they are the same creative team.

With that said, if they do indeed do Simpsons, I would imagine they may try their hand at Futurama sets also, especially for the play value. I guess they do technically have the claw hand from Davy Jones for Zoidberg.