CorneliusMurdock

New Licensed Theme Rumor Mill

17 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

The unnecessary ire aside, there is some plausibility to this rumour. Illumination is owned by Universal, and Universal recently entered talks with Lego to make films together. It might not be a Lego-based film, but the contract is almost there and is likely to extend into 2022 and beyond. As rumours go it’s better than a hell of a lot of them.

By the 'logic' of LEGO fans here then literally ANY theme is open because we can make some small connection. Is LEGO Mario a possibility? Sure, because anything is a possibility. But it's years away and the 'rumor' is based on nothing.

It's like me saying there is going to be a Garfield theme in 2028 because my cousin's wife's sister's daughter went to college with someone who works at the company that made the newer Garfield series and now works for some company that made one movie for WB and WB and LEGO have connections so it's a sure thing!

Rumors used to be based on actually common sense, or insider knowledge. Now it's just like 'We are getting Angry Birds 2 sets because why not! The first theme failed so let's try again!'.

I remember the video game era of the '90s, specifically the fighting game era, and just recalling rumors about Mortal Kombat... about Ermac, Reptile as a playable character in MK1, etc... rumors are not always based on "insider information" or actuality - many are based on ill-conceived fan assumptions.

3 hours ago, Maple said:

By the 'logic' of LEGO fans here then literally ANY theme is open because we can make some small connection. Is LEGO Mario a possibility? Sure, because anything is a possibility. But it's years away and the 'rumor' is based on nothing.

It's like me saying there is going to be a Garfield theme in 2028 because my cousin's wife's sister's daughter went to college with someone who works at the company that made the newer Garfield series and now works for some company that made one movie for WB and WB and LEGO have connections so it's a sure thing!

Rumors used to be based on actually common sense, or insider knowledge. Now it's just like 'We are getting Angry Birds 2 sets because why not! The first theme failed so let's try again!'.

It’s not that tenuous though, is it? There are fewer links in the chain than you are insinuating, and they are more plausible than you suggest. Lego are genuinely in negotiations with Universal, who own Illumination. We know Minions 2: The Rise of Gru sets are coming, it’s been officially announced. The question was asked what IPs do Universal own, and several examples were provided, some we have already seen which creates plausibility. Through Dimensions we saw Sonic and a few others and through Blizzard we saw Overwatch, which sets a precedent for video game-based themes. I don’t understand why it is rankling you so, it is after all a rumour. Angry Birds 2 has come and gone, without a set in sight.

5 hours ago, jonwil said:

I see nothing about the stadium that makes it worth buying unless you are a fan of Soccer (and especially UK Soccer) or happen to like that particular stadium.

Now if they ever did Suncorp (here in Brisbane) I might be interested...

I doubt there are that many fans of UK football, or even English football, or even Premier League football.

Most people here support a team, not a league. And most people would not buy a model of a rival club's stadium. A significant proportion of football fans in Manchester wouldn't buy this. I imagine this is made to cater for the worldwide "fans" of Manchester United, the ones that buy shirts and watch on TV and have followed the club since the glory days of Alex Ferguson when they had a decent team. Although there are loads of much cheaper 3D buildable models of Old Trafford available and this has even been done at a similar scale in building blocks before by Character Building. I don't really understand the appeal of doing a single club like this, but no doubt LEGO have their reasons pairing with one of the richest / highest valued football clubs.

14 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

It’s not that tenuous though, is it? ...  I don’t understand why it is rankling you so, it is after all a rumour.

To me it is more speculation than rumour. Although as you say, speculation with some background thought, so slightly better than my mate's mate's dad who works at a LEGO store said that ...

The whole Mario thing is just a guess because Lego is making Illumination licenses with trolls and the same company is producing the Mario movie. It’s just a guess on that part. Don’t read into it at all

I remember the whole discussion about Overwatch leading to possible Warcraft sets, right now even Overwatch 2020 sets seem left in the dark, we got set names/numbers but unlike 2019, no sets for January 1st and nothing at Blizzcon.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 1/10/2020 at 7:59 PM, RedHoodPug said:

Damn, people need to know the difference between rumour and speculation.

Yes! That's what I was trying to say and did so very badly.

A rumour is based on something. Insider info, a wink to the fans from a designer.
Speculation is just people going 'They will make Mario sets because of some studio BS".

2 hours ago, Maple said:

Yes! That's what I was trying to say and did so very badly.

A rumour is based on something. Insider info, a wink to the fans from a designer.
Speculation is just people going 'They will make Mario sets because of some studio BS".

Nope, speculation is thinking that there could be Super Mario sets because Illumination are making the film and they have worked with Lego before. Rumour is saying or hearing that those sets are coming. The person who started this is speculating that the sets could happen, but they haven’t yet started the rumour that they are happening.

What's the name of this topic? 

Rumour. Everyone is acting like it's actually based on something, when it's not. Me saying there will be Garfield sets in 8 years is speculation too. Maybe we should talk about it for pages and pages and act like it will actually happen.

If Nintendo sets happen it will have NOTHING to do with someone making a movie and 100% about Nintendo.

9 hours ago, Maple said:

What's the name of this topic? 

Rumour. Everyone is acting like it's actually based on something, when it's not. Me saying there will be Garfield sets in 8 years is speculation too. Maybe we should talk about it for pages and pages and act like it will actually happen.

If Nintendo sets happen it will have NOTHING to do with someone making a movie and 100% about Nintendo.

:wall: you talking about Garfield sets is not speculation because you made it up a few posts back. However if you want to be literal about the topic title then carry on about Garfield, I’ll say no more.

If Nintendo sets happen and coincide with a film then the existence of said film will have been a deciding factor, even if it was a small one. If Illumination go to Nintendo and say, “how about putting Mario on the big screen again?”, then it’s not many meetings away from the merchandise discussion. 

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, but what do you guys think about this Ace Ventura rumor? It's an odd theme to make, and the rumor comes from a new Instagram account. But he also posted the avengers list before the major leakers did (as far as I'm aware) so I'm pretty curious to know everyone's thoughts about this.

Just now, Huigberts Builds said:

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, but what do you guys think about this Ace Ventura rumor? It's an odd theme to make, and the rumor comes from a new Instagram account. But he also posted the avengers list before the major leakers did (as far as I'm aware) so I'm pretty curious to know everyone's thoughts about this.

I was the one that started the Ace Ventura speculation on my instagram account. The avengers list was a speculation too, because on the Libreria Rayuela page some listed sets appeared. I just thought, that AT could be Avengers Tower. After that many leakers got into it. I don't even know if this real. From my site it was pure speculation. And with Ace Ventura rumor, I just thought that snowflake was the dolphin from the first film.

54 minutes ago, Jinzol said:

I was the one that started the Ace Ventura speculation on my instagram account. The avengers list was a speculation too, because on the Libreria Rayuela page some listed sets appeared. I just thought, that AT could be Avengers Tower. After that many leakers got into it. I don't even know if this real. From my site it was pure speculation. And with Ace Ventura rumor, I just thought that snowflake was the dolphin from the first film.

Oh I see, thank you for the clarification

17 hours ago, Maple said:

A good friend of mine is hardcore into collecting Pokémon. She knows most of the merchandise lines and so on. As far as i know from her Nintendo is and was allways extremely protective about its properties especially action figures and figurines. The company has it's production organized and is successfull. They don't need a partner like Lego. Small packages with a few Lego sized figures cost as much as a Lego set with them probably would/should. I highly doubt we will see sets.

Even if that would not be the case it doesn't seem likely that Lego would produce so many new moulds.

Link needs a new headgear, Shield ans sword or he will look awefull.

Every Pokemon needs a special mould.

Mario and Luigi could use the same hat. Peach needs new hair. Browser or Donkey kong should be big figs. Minifigs of them would need headmoulds... 

Edited by Gorilla94

52 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

A good friend of mine is hardcore into collecting Pokémon. She knows most of the merchandise lines and so on. As far as i know from her Nintendo is and was allways extremely protective about its properties especially action figures and figurines. The company has it's production organized and is successfull. They don't need a partner like Lego. Small packages with a few Lego sized figures cost as much as a Lego set with them probably would/should. I highly doubt we will see sets.

Even if that would not be the case it doesn't seem likely that Lego would produce so many new moulds.

Mario and Luigi could use the same hat. Peach needs new hair. Browser or Donkey kong should be big figs. Minifigs of them would need headmoulds... 

Yeah, I still wish Mega Construx would lose the Pokémon license to LEGO one day. BTW, Mega Construx isn’t doing minifigure-scale Pokémon sets at all!

45 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

As far as i know from her Nintendo is and was allways extremely protective about its properties especially action figures and figurines. They don't need a partner like Lego. I highly doubt we will see sets.

Pokemon is a totally different kettle of fish because of how the ownership is shared/not shared by Nintendo. I don’t see any chance of that theme happening at all. As for how protective they are of their product, I would consider that a grey area given what tat you see on shop shelves. 
I don’t know enough about Link/Zelda to comment on whether it would prove popular.

As for moulds for Mario, they seem to be veering away from head moulds anyway, but I would play my Trolls card as an example of new parts and moulds in a risky new licensed wave.

You simply can't do a minifigure scale Pokemon theme.  The molds are the biggest expense and imagine each set needing so many new molds for the pokemon figures. Everyone would want their favs but I doubt they could ever even get like 30 of them done. Let alone over 800. IF Lego ever got the license I have no doubt it wouldn't be minifigure scale, at least mostly. 

Take this with a grain of salt for now because even if it's coming it won't release this year but I heard from my source that Lego will do more than one Technic Fast and Furious set, they are going to do a whole system theme for Fast and Furious which  will supposedly release next year for the 20th anniversary of the Fast franchise and F10 release.The sets will be like Speed Champions in size of the cars, 8 wide. 

47 minutes ago, Harkonen said:

Take this with a grain of salt for now because even if it's coming it won't release this year but I heard from my source that Lego will do more than one Technic Fast and Furious set, they are going to do a whole system theme for Fast and Furious which  will supposedly release next year for the 20th anniversary of the Fast franchise and F10 release.The sets will be like Speed Champions in size of the cars, 8 wide. 

Will this be the next speed champions sets then? It has license cars as well.

5 minutes ago, AMD said:

No, because if the FF line happens it will have flesh tone minifigs, not yellow. 

58 minutes ago, Harkonen said:

Wow, I'm really surprised at how knowledgeable you are regarding products a whole year down the line... :distressed:

Just now, Harkonen said:
7 minutes ago, AMD said:

No, because if the FF line happens it will have flesh tone minifigs, not yellow. 

So it won't replace Speed Champions? Or, will be a subtheme of such? :shrug_confused:

1 minute ago, Harkonen said:

Interesting. but, like @Digger of Bricks said, Will SC be replaced or still separate as one theme?

Edited by AMD

58 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Wow, I'm really surprised at how knowledgeable you are regarding products a whole year down the line... :distressed:

So it won't replace Speed Champions? Or, will be a subtheme of such? :shrug_confused:

It won't replace Speed Champions. The theme is the new Racers equivalent, it won't go anywhere anytime soon. 

One more thing, expect the 8 wide cars to move beyond Speed Champions in the future. 

1 hour ago, Harkonen said:

One more thing, expect the 8 wide cars to move beyond Speed Champions in the future. 

Oh, perhaps as a new "across-the-board" standard for City? Maybe for either DC or Marvel SuperHeroes?