CorneliusMurdock

New Licensed Theme Rumor Mill

I don’t think WoW will happen. Also:

World of Warcraft is rated T (Teen) by the ESRB for blood and gore, crude humor, mild language, suggestive themes, and use of alcohol and violence.”

Just now, J4ck said:

World of Warcraft is rated T (Teen) by the ESRB for blood and gore, crude humor, mild language, suggestive themes, and use of alcohol and violence.”

These type of concerns don't hold any weight anymore.  Precedents have been set.

Just now, lego the hutt said:

These type of concerns don't hold any weight anymore.  Precedents have been set.

I still feel Lego won’t make them, it’s more for older teenagers than 8-12 year olds.

Maybe the guidelines vary, but it's been noted MEGA was the previous tie owner, so definitely Blizzard doesn't feel any concern about toy merchandise. And true, possibily it may also be transformed into some friendlier ideas just like how Castle fantasy and LotR sets look like.

AT has been a widely spoken and requested franchise. Just it doesn't seem to be very wise for TLC to not accept this when the cartoon show was still on air.

Edited by Dorayaki

9 hours ago, J4ck said:

Overwatch is rated Teen as well : 

Overwatch

Platform: Windows PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Rating Category: T.png
Content Descriptors: Blood, Use of Tobacco, Violence

Other: Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
Rating Summary: This is a first-person shooter in which players join an international task force trying to restore peace to the world. Players use a variety of firearms (e.g., pistols, machine guns), arrows, and futuristic weapons (e.g., laser blasters) to attack enemies in team combat objectives. Combat is frenetic with realistic gunfire, cries of pain, and explosions. Splashes of blood briefly appear with each successful hit. One character is depicted smoking a cigar.

Star Wars is Teen as well, but the LEGO games replaced the bad parts with brick-built damage or injuries. Even the scene where Luke's hand get cut off has been made into sets. (even recently in Cloud City 2018)

Other then that, the use of Weapons or Magic in WoW is no different then LOTR, Harry Potter, or generic Castle LEGO themes.  

Magic use is very comparible to the more recent Superheroes powerblasts of various colors.

They can always refrain from using abominations or bones/blood, but skeleton minifigures have been perfectly fine within LEGO for decades now.

Mega Bloks Warcraft sets used skulls, weapons, (bone)dragons and were 8+.

Edited by TeriXeri

You are stating the obvious.  We all know Jacks concerns don't hold any weight.  As mentioned, the precedence has been set multiple times at this point that would deem a theme like WoW to be more than acceptable.  This is such an old, rehashed discussion that I tried to avoid it with my comments above.

So the guy who makes the ‘everythhing we know so far’ website list of Lego products for each year has said that a stranger things D2C is coming. No one else is reporting on it but he’s added it to the website so he must be pretty confident in it. I asked him why no one else is reporting it and he said that the same as happened in the past with leaks like the Boost R2D2. 

So take it with a huge grain of salt, but man it would be awesome if this was true!!

22 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

The obviously fake rumors won't end today, will they? They're on a roll :snicker:

What else has “leaked” today?

A list of Disney CMF series 2 has "leaked" :wink:

Back to topic: Of course Stranger Things would be awesome, but the brand fit isn't there (wasn't an Ideas set shot down because of that? I might misremember things though). It also makes no sense for a previously unknown D2C set to appear out of thin air, I mean we've been aware of this year's D2C list for quite some time now.

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

A list of Disney CMF series 2 has "leaked" :wink:

Back to topic: Of course Stranger Things would be awesome, but the brand fit isn't there (wasn't an Ideas set shot down because of that? I might misremember things though). It also makes no sense for a previously unknown D2C set to appear out of thin air, I mean we've been aware of this year's D2C list for quite some time now.

True, but, excuse the pun, stranger things have happened (honestly didn’t intend that pun) who would of thought we’d get simpsons? Or ghostbusters? I’d say ghostbusters and Jurassic Park are as ‘scary’ as stranger things. But yeah, if it did happen it would be way out of left field.

This guy who has leaked this does have history, and has gotten a few things up while before others haven’t picked up on it. Who knows ‘eh

8 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I recently submitted a Stranger Things Ideas set, obviously it didn’t make it through and was rejected. For reasons like the show contains: sex, drugs, alcohol, smoking, horror, torture, realistic weapons, violence amoung other things.

It would be pretty weird to see LEGO make a Stranger Things set for those reasons, but it would also be awesome to the property in LEGO. And a bit bittersweet for me.

7 minutes ago, InnerRayg said:

I'm sure it has nothing to do with planting seeds for the April fools in a month....

Urgh people take that too seriously. It doesn’t count if it’s before the day. 

6 hours ago, Whovastron said:

I’d say ghostbusters and Jurassic Park are as ‘scary’ as stranger things.

Agreed.  I would love to see Stranger Things in LEGO.  Hoping this one's true.

On 2/21/2019 at 5:01 PM, Foxes Productionz said:

I recently submitted a Stranger Things Ideas set, obviously it didn’t make it through and was rejected. For reasons like the show contains: sex, drugs, alcohol, smoking, horror, torture, realistic weapons, violence amoung other things.

It would be pretty weird to see LEGO make a Stranger Things set for those reasons, but it would also be awesome to the property in LEGO. And a bit bittersweet for me.

While they very well could've rejected your project for all those above-stated reasons, perhaps they instead did so due to confliction with this purported D2C. :sarcasm_smug:

No. Way. Haven't they recently shot down a Stranger Things Ideas suggestion, citing incompatibility with the brand for several reasons? I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but that sounds very unlikely at best :sceptic:

The guy who originally leaked it said he’d had a few things he’d leaked shot down before being confirmed and widely reported weeks later, like the boost R2-D2. Maybe this is true

Edited by Whovastron

Dude it just doesnt make sense 

The property doesnt fit with TLG's guidelines

And they have Hidden Side coming. It would be too similar

Just now, Robert8 said:

Dude it just doesnt make sense 

The property doesnt fit with TLG's guidelines

There’s been plenty of properties that don’t fit with their guidlines. Ghostbuster, beetlejuice and Jurassic Park come to mind. Ghostbusters literally a scene where a ghost performs sexual favours on dan aykroyd.

and I don’t think a theme like hidden side would affect it, it’s just my opinion, but hidden side could also be compared to Harry Potter in the same sense. 

Edited by Whovastron

I always find it funny when people talk about TLG's guidelines, because at the end of the day, if Lego thinks it's a good idea, they'll make it if it fits those guidelines or not.

As for the Ideas thing, that doesn't surprise me at all. These Ideas submissions get manually reviewed, an employee looks at those proposals and is tasked with making a judgement call about whether they fit the guidelines and with the endless amount of licenses out there, there's no way they could have a complete list of what they will and won't make. There's got to be multiple employees who review those submissions, I'd expect there'd be variations in opinions about whether something meets those guidelines. One person might look at Stranger Things and see it as a violent television show involving gruesome deaths and child endangerment and another person might look at it and see it as being in the same vein as the Goonies. Results may vary.

Too, the Lego brand has evolved a lot, we see more and more adults oriented sets. Lego isn't just for kids anymore, so it's a logical conclusion that over time we'll see more and more licenses that push those boundary lines.

Edited by strangely

4 hours ago, Hoth Rebel said:

Stonewars.de reports that a Stranger Things set is coming (D2C or some big set). 

Huh, while I'm not entirely convinced, hearing this rumor from another somewhat-reputable-source makes me wonder... :def_shrug:

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Heh, even the names of the two vaguely connote each other. 

9 minutes ago, strangely said:

-snip-

Exactly this. There’s quite a few properties from the last few years that definitely wouldn’t fit what most people consider Lego’s guidelines.

big bang theory and friends are pretty much based around sex and sex references.

jurassic park/world, ghostbusters, Indiana Jones and gremlins have all sorts; Several of the Jurassic films have horror elements, some blood and gore and generally scary stuff. Indiana Jones has some very disturbing seen and plenty of violence and nazis. Ghostbusters used to scare me as a kid, so there’s that. And I think gremlins and goodies have some scary stuff, but I’ve not seen them in a long time. Beetlejuice has a lot of adult humour, as does ghostbusters.

mission impossible also has a few disturbing scenes, and doesn’t shy away from blood. And then there’s the James Bond branding for the Aston Martin. 

and then there’s the Simpsons, that got huge backlash for being inappropriate, and yet here we are getting all these themes subsequently.

i think it’s entirely possible that something like stranger things could happen. There’s a lot more gore in the show compared to any of this other stuff, but that’s all there really is, otherwise is just like one of these other 80s themes from Dimensions 

13 hours ago, Whovastron said:

Exactly this. There’s quite a few properties from the last few years that definitely wouldn’t fit what most people consider Lego’s guidelines.

big bang theory and friends are pretty much based around sex and sex references.

jurassic park/world, ghostbusters, Indiana Jones and gremlins have all sorts; Several of the Jurassic films have horror elements, some blood and gore and generally scary stuff. Indiana Jones has some very disturbing seen and plenty of violence and nazis. Ghostbusters used to scare me as a kid, so there’s that. And I think gremlins and goodies have some scary stuff, but I’ve not seen them in a long time. Beetlejuice has a lot of adult humour, as does ghostbusters.

mission impossible also has a few disturbing scenes, and doesn’t shy away from blood. And then there’s the James Bond branding for the Aston Martin. 

and then there’s the Simpsons, that got huge backlash for being inappropriate, and yet here we are getting all these themes subsequently.

i think it’s entirely possible that something like stranger things could happen. There’s a lot more gore in the show compared to any of this other stuff, but that’s all there really is, otherwise is just like one of these other 80s themes from Dimensions 

Hopefully Mega Construx will eventually lose the Futurama license to LEGO one day, mainly due to Disney's acquisition of 21st Century Fox's entertainment properties.