CorneliusMurdock

New Licensed Theme Rumor Mill

While I agree that Looney Tunes would make a great CMF series, I think both could work as regular sets just fine.  That said, it would only likely be a couple of sets.

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Out of all those franchises, Looney Tunes and Universal Monsters seem to me like they'd be best done as Collectable Minifigure lines. I can't quite see them being translated into a wave of playsets exactly.

Um... Universal Studio Monster sets were pretty much the 2002 Scary Monster sets, not to mention the 2012 Monster Fighters (based on USM) and the 2015 Scooby Doo sets (also based on USM) so I think, especially with the number of non-Lego playsets and merch in existence, Universal Monster sets would sell well, especially since there are sooo many horror conventions that would sell them. As for Looney Tunes, yea, I couldn't see a whole lot of sets just a lot of minifigures with accessories, unless they based them on a movie (Quackbusters?).

4 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

Um... Universal Studio Monster sets were pretty much the 2002 Scary Monster sets, not to mention the 2012 Monster Fighters (based on USM) and the 2015 Scooby Doo sets (also based on USM) so I think, especially with the number of non-Lego playsets and merch in existence, Universal Monster sets would sell well, especially since there are sooo many horror conventions that would sell them.

But, would playsets directly inspired after the source material really do well with both general audiences and kids, besides the adult fan base? I almost think kids would only care about the characters as figures alone, as playsets would be based upon scenes from the films that many might not be familiar with. They know the characters since they're so iconic, but perhaps not the movies they're from.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

But, would playsets directly inspired after the source material really do well with both general audiences and kids, besides the adult fan base? I almost think kids would only care about the characters as figures alone, as playsets would be based upon scenes from the films that many might not be familiar with. They know the characters since they're so iconic, but perhaps not the movies they're from.

Um... where were you during all of those releases from 1980 and 1990 properties? Since when were kids familiar with Sonic, Beetlejuice, Et, Ateam, MI, etc? Oh and Ghostbusters, which came out before the female reboot that'll likely be remembered more by the kids of today.

Not to mention, in many ways, tge Studio, MF, and Scooby playsets in many ways were taken from the Universal monsters. 

Now its time we introduce this new generation to the original source.

2 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

Since when were kids familiar with Sonic, Beetlejuice, Et, Ateam, MI, etc? Oh and Ghostbusters, which came out before the female reboot that'll likely be remembered more by the kids of today.

But, many of those franchises you mentioned were only touched upon once as Dimension packs, while Ghostbusters started out as an Ideas set which spawned a D2C. Dimensions, Ideas, and D2C sets can be aimed towards kids, but they somewhat seem to have adult collectors in mind, and the same can be said slightly for the BrickHeadz theme too.

Having said that, I guess Universal Monsters material could be used better for D2C sets, since I think typical retail playsets would be just too gimmicky for the franchise, given their propensity towards play functions and all.

6 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

Um... where were you during all of those releases from 1980 and 1990 properties? Since when were kids familiar with Sonic, Beetlejuice, Et, Ateam, MI, etc? Oh and Ghostbusters, which came out before the female reboot that'll likely be remembered more by the kids of today.

Not to mention, in many ways, tge Studio, MF, and Scooby playsets in many ways were taken from the Universal monsters. 

Now its time we introduce this new generation to the original source.

When has Sonic not been relevant? There’s a new Sonic game every 2-3 years. 

I'm highly disappointed that rumored Nightmar Before Christmas will be realized as a Brickheadz. I was hoping that it will be "normal" set with marvelous minifigures. BH is like a weed - it's sucking life from other options.

57 minutes ago, parsom said:

I'm highly disappointed that rumored Nightmar Before Christmas will be realized as a Brickheadz. I was hoping that it will be "normal" set with marvelous minifigures. BH is like a weed - it's sucking life from other options.

I am as well, and am holding out hope that something more will appear.

1 hour ago, parsom said:

Actually I think brickheadz are the opposite of a weed, they allow lego to explore licences we would not see otherwise 

2 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Actually I think brickheadz are the opposite of a weed, they allow lego to explore licences we would not see otherwise 

But unlike Dimensions, which was similar in that aspect, Brickheadz are not minifigure scale.  Unless these licenses are released as sets or in minifigure scale, it's largely irrelevant to many consumers.

15 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Which ones? The Brickset database has 63 BH entries, and only Nightmare is a new licence.

I know this is probably better brought up over on a future speculation discussion topic instead, but since we don't have one currently for the Licensed subforum, I thought I'd bring this up here.

Apparently, Legendary Pictures is collaborating with animation studio Sunrise Inc. to bring a live action Gundam movie to the big screen:

Variety - 'Gundam' Live Action Movie in the Works 

I'm not sure if either party (Sunrise and/or the film distributor) would want to be marketing this movie to younger audiences beyond its older fan base for merchandising, but I wonder if there'll be a chance for this franchise to come to Lego around then, given that Legendary is still partnered with Universal Pictures currently.

It would probably mean a new theme as the previous stuff was Dimensions and Ideas branded. I've never watched it, who is it aimed at? The Ideas set doesn't really seem to be play friendly (for kids) as no minifigures, but more of a display set (for adults?).

Also I don't think sales of the Ideas one have been that good (at least here). LEGO is currently trying to get rid of it at 30% off via S@H in the UK. 10 or 20% for them is more normal to shift excess sale stock for sets, but this one doesn't seem to go even at 30% off.

Edited by MAB

On 10/12/2018 at 5:58 AM, MAB said:

It would probably mean a new theme as the previous stuff was Dimensions and Ideas branded. I've never watched it, who is it aimed at? The Ideas set doesn't really seem to be play friendly (for kids) as no minifigures, but more of a display set (for adults?).

Also I don't think sales of the Ideas one have been that good (at least here). LEGO is currently trying to get rid of it at 30% off via S@H in the UK. 10 or 20% for them is more normal to shift excess sale stock for sets, but this one doesn't seem to go even at 30% off.

23 hours ago, Whovastron said:

Yeah, I think after we got the Minifigures, people weren’t interested in the builds

I understand the LEGO Ideas Adventure time set sold poorly, but I believe Adventure Time needs its own theme or maybe a few BrickHeadz sets as well. It'd be a waste for LEGO if their Adventure Time license expired!

Edited by MatthewRC

LEGO World of Warcraft?

Blizzard Open to Discussing LEGO World of Warcraft Sets

https://www.thebrickfan.com/blizzard-open-to-discussing-lego-world-of-warcraft-sets/

It needs to be the right time and place for both parties. I mean, we would definitely be interested in discussing that. With World of Warcraft, there’s a hundred million-plus people that have touched that experience at some point in their life, so there’s a very broad and diverse audience around the world that supports World Of Warcraft. But it obviously would be a mutual decision. We need make sure there’s enough indicators pointing to that it would be a great idea.

Source: Brick Fan

Not a huge surprise since not like a company would have multiple cooperations with different toy makers. Pretty much just  MEGA and LEGO are fighting over the hit franchises yet again.

Not sure if this is a good news to fans of LEGO Castle fantasy series, tho, although it is at least not as mechanic as Nexo Knights is. :tongue:

Just now, Dorayaki said:

Not sure if this is a good news to fans of LEGO Castle fantasy series, tho, although it is at least not as mechanic as Nexo Knights is. :tongue:

Well, World of Warcraft was what many fans thought/hoped Nexo Knights was going to be more like.

Really? That's sad, lol. The closest things Lego has done in Castle to WoW is the theme with the trolls, giants, skeletons, etc.

11 hours ago, Dorayaki said:

Not a huge surprise since not like a company would have multiple cooperations with different toy makers. Pretty much just  MEGA and LEGO are fighting over the hit franchises yet again.

I was a fan of Nexo Knights, and I played WoW for many years.

Even while I don't play the game right now, the world itself has enormous potential for good location sets, with terrain, buildings, and if it's anything like the previous MEGA line Dragons.

I just hope it focuses on the classic days of WoW and not the more futuristic Legion/Naaru "spaceships" side of things. 

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, World of Warcraft was what many fans thought/hoped Nexo Knights was going to be more like.

Forest/water monsters did look great (on artwork/books) , but instead we suddenly got a change of direction with those tech infection monsters, that didn't even get TV episodes after the Stone Monster seasons.

I really liked most concepts of the Elves line (especially the focus on mostly locations/buildings), but the minidolls or big animal head designs weren't my taste.

Edited by TeriXeri

32 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I was a fan of Nexo Knights, and I played WoW for many years.

Even while I don't play the game right now, the world itself has enormous potential for good location sets, with terrain, buildings, and if it's anything like the previous MEGA line Dragons.

I just hope it focuses on the classic days of WoW and not the more futuristic Legion/Naaru "spaceships" side of things. 

Forest/water monsters did look great (on artwork/books) , but instead we suddenly got a change of direction with those tech infection monsters, that didn't even get TV episodes after the Stone Monster seasons.

I really liked most concepts of the Elves line (especially the focus on mostly locations/buildings), but the minidolls or big animal head designs weren't my taste.

Warcraft as a whole would have huge potential and could produce numerous waves with endless development that could rival the Star Wars lines, the hardest part would be the starting off with such a wide choice...

As you mentioned Location/buildings are the obvious ones but with so much lore and each faction having its own style,as a developer you'd be itching to dip into everything... from the gritty barbarian style of orcs, fantasy Avatar style elves to Oriental Pandaren…

Orcs v Humans would be ideal but once that can of worms is opened... :p
you've also got Dragons, Creatures, Mechs, Pirates, Siege Weapons, Spaceships, Ninjas, Demons, Monsters, Magic...

and there's always the counter versions for each faction (then the races within those factions...)

I could see it being very much like the LOTR sets but with so much more variety 

For other LEGO's originals, unfortuntely all the concepts of monsters from Nexo's storybooks were gone, but not like Nexo would really have gone that far (which ensures this theme would have remained two or three more years just to introduce all the monster troops). I just wish that the final release and story season could have made all the troops appear together.

As for Elves, while it highlights elves as the title suggests, I doubt TLC ever considered orcs or berserkers as villains given how TLC market minidoll themes.

For WoW, If it's just part of Blizzard and LEGO's longeterm partnership plan, I suppose this would not be a line as long as Minecraft but might be a short replacement or periodical swap with Overwatch? So that a wave may only focus on a certain era.

Edited by Dorayaki

WoW sets would make sense because they are already making Overwatch sets and it's possible the license agreement is more broad than just overwatch, but it seems like it is 10 years to late.  WoW is stagnant and has been declining for a long time.  That being said, the world could produce some nice sets.

This smells a lot like Lego jumping into dimensions after the "Toys to Life" fad was already on the decline.

Edited by lego the hutt

On 10/11/2018 at 6:29 PM, MatthewRC said:

Guys, it appears Cartoon Network is planning to continue making more Adventure Time merchandise!

https://www.regularcapital.com/2018/10/cartoon-network-still-has-future-plans-for-adventure-time/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Could this possibly mean more Adventure Time sets!?

That would be fantastic.

As for WoW, I'd prefer an in-house Castle theme but it would likely give Castle fans some nice pieces.