CorneliusMurdock

New Licensed Theme Rumor Mill

The opening scene is the most obvious for maximum character capacity, plus a costume change for Jack. Things like the Mayor’s hearse, kidnapping Sandy Claws, arriving in Christmas Town, Oogie Boogie’s lair, the trees, Jack as Sandy Claws with the sleigh. The curling cliff that becomes a slope is the most iconic thing, but translating that would be costly. Sorry, my son loves this film for combining his two favourite times of year and the songs.

On 12/25/2017 at 11:25 AM, Robert8 said:

The Teletubbies

And maybe Barney the dinosaur:sarcasm:

8 hours ago, GeekByKnight said:

Is the Nightmare rumour from a reliable source? It seems like an odd choice for Lego just content/time wise. 

Yes and I’m not 100% sure but nightmare before Christmas was supposed to be in wave 3 of dimensions so Lego went out and got the license for it, they dimensions sales were lackluster so it was canceled. So Lego decided to make sets instead of lossing the money they spent on getting the license 

8 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Yes and I’m not 100% sure but nightmare before Christmas was supposed to be in wave 3 of dimensions so Lego went out and got the license for it, they dimensions sales were lackluster so it was canceled. So Lego decided to make sets instead of lossing the money they spent on getting the license 

While i am not really into nbc, i would have loved that theme in dimensions. 

1 hour ago, Lego Petman said:

Hello!Will we see a Futurama sets?(Because of Fox and Disney deal) 

I doubt it. The Simpsons sets don't seem to have been all that popular, I can't see Lego gambling on a show as niche as Futurama.

2 hours ago, Lego Petman said:

Hello!Will we see a Futurama sets?(Because of Fox and Disney deal) 

Sadly, Mega Construx has the Futurama license, but they may lose it due to Disney’s acquisition of Fox. By the way, Futurama is somewhat more inappropriate than The Simpsons, unless LEGO changes their policy to make sets based on adult themes like Futurama.

1 minute ago, MatthewRC said:

By the way, Futurama is somewhat more inappropriate than The Simpsons, unless LEGO changes their policy to make sets based on adult themes like Futurama.

I never want to see the day when a TLG policy change like that ever happens, as the Simpsons was bad enough.

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I never want to see the day when a TLG policy change like that ever happens, as the Simpsons was bad enough.

Amen! 

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

What was so bad about LEGO The Simpsons?

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Errr why..? Lego has plenty of AFOLs, why not put out a theme for them every once in a while? It's not like LotR was designed with kids in mind either

On 1/2/2018 at 6:10 PM, Falconfan1414 said:

Yeah, that sounds completely fishy, TBH. NBC is owned by Disney, which had a competing toys-to-life product at the same time. Jack Skellington even had a Disney Infinity figure. I highly doubt that Disney would release any of their characters to intermingle with competing Universal-owned brands (Harry Potter, BTTF, LOTR, etc.).

I'd wager *if* we are getting Nightmare LEGO, it's organically arising from the Disney partnership, not from a Dimensions cast-off.

9 hours ago, TJJohn12 said:

Yeah, that sounds completely fishy, TBH. NBC is owned by Disney, which had a competing toys-to-life product at the same time. Jack Skellington even had a Disney Infinity figure. I highly doubt that Disney would release any of their characters to intermingle with competing Universal-owned brands (Harry Potter, BTTF, LOTR, etc.).

I'd wager *if* we are getting Nightmare LEGO, it's organically arising from the Disney partnership, not from a Dimensions cast-off.

Harry Potter is owned by Warner Bros

13 hours ago, Ultron said:

Errr why..? Lego has plenty of AFOLs, why not put out a theme for them every once in a while? It's not like LotR was designed with kids in mind either

I've voiced my criticisms of the Simpsons theme on other topics in the past, but I've never really watched the show myself. But you see, the way I feel about it, with properties that teeter on the edge between acceptability for children and otherwise for various reasons, LOTR/The Hobbit is a more acceptable choice for TLG since it's more of an altruistic tale of good verses evil. On the other hand, with comedy centric properties like the Simpsons, those lines seem a little more blurry and stuff of that nature just doesn't feel very characteristic of TLG's values.

6 hours ago, J4ck said:

Harry Potter is owned by Warner Bros

Sorry, I live in theme-park-world, where many of these properties are *heavily* tied in a competitive way to Universal Studios. Potter having any interaction with a character that appears on a Disney castle-park would be a strategic deal killer. 

There is no benefit to TDO to linking any of their properties in deep and systemic ways to competing brands. Cameo? We've seen in in the LEGO movie. But we also *never* saw Star Wars or Indiana Jones float into Dimensions, nor Marvel properties. There would have been no strategic reason.

What I'm saying is that some designers at Billund likely deserve more credit here for their vision and dreams than we are giving credit for.

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

but I've never really watched the show myself.

This might be the problem. I've seen many people treat The Simpsons with much more contempt than it deserves. A common perception is that the show is very crass and lacking morals like Family Guy or South Park (nothing against those shows, I love SP, but they're in a very different category), however that's not true for The Simpsons. It's a very heartfelt and sometimes even wholesome show, at least in it's golden age of the first ten seasons or so. No worse than some of the other properties Lego has produced over the years.

19 hours ago, TJJohn12 said:

Sorry, I live in theme-park-world, where many of these properties are *heavily* tied in a competitive way to Universal Studios. Potter having any interaction with a character that appears on a Disney castle-park would be a strategic deal killer. 

There is no benefit to TDO to linking any of their properties in deep and systemic ways to competing brands. Cameo? We've seen in in the LEGO movie. But we also *never* saw Star Wars or Indiana Jones float into Dimensions, nor Marvel properties. There would have been no strategic reason.

What I'm saying is that some designers at Billund likely deserve more credit here for their vision and dreams than we are giving credit for.

The reason Disney didn’t hand its properties over to Dimensions was because of Disney Infinity. If Dimensions has continued over to year 3 or 4, Disney properties could have definitely appeared due to the cancellation of Infinity. 

On 1/14/2018 at 9:03 AM, MatthewRC said:

Futurama is somewhat more inappropriate than The Simpsons, unless LEGO changes their policy to make sets based on adult themes like Futurama.

I disagree.  Futurama is no more or less adult than the Simpsons.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:08 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I've voiced my criticisms of the Simpsons theme on other topics in the past, but I've never really watched the show myself. But you see, the way I feel about it, with properties that teeter on the edge between acceptability for children and otherwise for various reasons, LOTR/The Hobbit is a more acceptable choice for TLG since it's more of an altruistic tale of good verses evil. On the other hand, with comedy centric properties like the Simpsons, those lines seem a little more blurry and stuff of that nature just doesn't feel very characteristic of TLG's values.

I disagree.  The Simpsons is a family television show, and I've watched it with my family since I was 10 (and I have 3 younger siblings who watched with us).

Also, I don't mind LEGO taking on more mature themes and ideas and targeting an audience of 16+ (as they do with some sets).  Something like Game of Thrones is probably too far, but the Simpsons and Futurama are just fine.  As mentioned above, South Park is a bit too far as well.

16 hours ago, x105Black said:

I disagree.  Futurama is no more or less adult than the Simpsons.

I disagree.  The Simpsons is a family television show, and I've watched it with my family since I was 10 (and I have 3 younger siblings who watched with us).

Also, I don't mind LEGO taking on more mature themes and ideas and targeting an audience of 16+ (as they do with some sets).  Something like Game of Thrones is probably too far, but the Simpsons and Futurama are just fine.  As mentioned above, South Park is a bit too far as well.

Okay, I stand corrected. Since Disney’s acquisition of Fox won’t take effect until 2019, let’s just wait and see what happens in a couple of years.

I do not understand that issue with TLG.I saw a lot of sets based on adult movies ? (Batman trilogy with Heat Ledger).There is always a way to do serious theme in “children” way, especially if you areTLG

Mario powers just posted a pic of a lego unikitty something... It's like a minifigures blindbag but it doesn't make sense to me. Someone knows more about it? Will we get sets based on it?

2 hours ago, ItamatTheGreat said:

Mario powers just posted a pic of a lego unikitty something... It's like a minifigures blindbag but it doesn't make sense to me. Someone knows more about it? Will we get sets based on it?

There’s a topic covering the unikitty sets but they are replacing mixels