CorneliusMurdock

New Licensed Theme Rumor Mill

LEGO The Simpsons :wacko: ? This is a very interesting rumour, and one that I hope will come to fruition. The possibilities for this potential theme could virtually never end. And the show is ALWAYS on TV at some point every day, so there will always be media supporting the sets. As for people saying that The Simpsons is too adult for LEGO to delve into, recent licenses that LEGO have gained (The Lord of The Rings, The Lone Ranger etc) would suggest that LEGO do not mind making themes with slight adults themes in them, as is the case with The Simpsons. I seriously hope that this is true.

I'm almost sure this is some kind of joke and they'll announce the theme on April 1st.

Still, who knows? :look:

Don´t April 1st jokes happen on April 1st, or am I mistaken?

I really think that if this Simpson range is properly done, it could become a strong seller, even worldwide. Tons of characters to collect, many places to reproduce, etc...

Naaah, seeing how they ruined Avatar with only two sets and are still producing half-assed Spongebob models with every cartoonier figs. They can sink a bunch of money into head/hair combo molds (like Toy Story) and do Spongebob style sets that are representations of the shows content in name only.

But in the wake of Teenage mutant ninja turtles they could also focus on vehicles (civilian cars would be a nice addition with the right designs) and maybe a few playsets/houses. I can´t really see them not doing the Simpsons´ home. The worst they could do to it is making it Heartlake High style. Selling 8X12 plates with room interior isn´t LEGOs style since 2005.

The Simpsons is not an 'adult' show entirely. Sure, it contains some mild rude humor, and adult themes, but it's still a show that kids today can enjoy and that isn't too risque or rude for children to watch. Family Guy and South Park are ACTUALLY adult cartoon shows that are normally seen as too adult for children to watch; compare The Simpsons to these shows, and you will find that Simpsons is very tame.

I stopped watching around 2008 and only see new episodes occasionally but the ones that I saw seemed more like material I would expect from Family Guy with the sexlifes of many random characters taking center stage.

But whatever, the show is still shown when in child-friendly times around 6pm at least in UK and Germany.

I can't wait to see lego Simpsons if TLG get the license (fingers crossed), the possibilities could be endless and I'd love to see the new moulds for the figures, marges hair piece would be awesome and homer could have a similar hairpiece to that of the series 10 old man.

The figs are probably the worst thing about it. The prints probably don´t fit in with the styles of other figs like The Clone Wars or part of the Avatar line. If they are even using regular heads. Toy Story like molds are a huge probability. That would limit second usage in other themes.

I could see them doing a new torso mold for fat people. That would be useful on some figs and could be used on many characters. I would take eight!

Merged. :wink:

The figs are probably the worst thing about it. The prints probably don´t fit in with the styles of other figs like The Clone Wars or part of the Avatar line. If they are even using regular heads. Toy Story like molds are a huge probability. That would limit second usage in other themes.

I could see them doing a new torso mold for fat people. That would be useful on some figs and could be used on many characters. I would take eight!

A fat torso mould would be ace (a bit like bomburs but without the beard), if they were to make Simpsons lego they'd need a lot of fat torso moulds :laugh:

I'm not so sure about this either. I know TV as a whole has become more...accepting of racy/adult themes, but I remember when the Simpsons first started my parents wouldn't let me watch, because of it's content. Also, kids today(clearly not all, but a lot) are seeing way more on TV/movies/video games than I did as a kid. So, I suppose Simpsons aren't out of the realm of possibilities for TLG.

I can't see the Simpsons being a direction they would go in now. Not because of any adult humor, but more because of the age of the property. Yeah it still has a following, but Bart isn't driving toy sales these days. The kids that grew up on the Simpsons are 40 now. Granted it might simply be an easy inexpensive license that goes along with other Fox properties. (Maybe Xmen movie or Fantastic Four movie sets?)

Was there a recent Cuusoo project about the Simpsons? I don't know how viable an entire theme would be but I can see TLG negotiating for one set because of Cuusoo.

I'm saying it could be a joke from TLG itself, and they're setting it up to announce the theme on April 1st, that's all.

My problem is the minifigs. They would look to off from a straight on perspective. Unless Lego plans on doing the heads in a molded style. Than again, we could see some new parts and colours, so I wouldn't mind seeing the Simpsons. However this could be building up to the 1st of April when they announce "Ha! You speculated for three weeks, and now we get to laugh at you! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Personally I'd prefer a Futurama theme to a Simpsons one if that were the way things go, as I find the Simpsons quite dull. Futurama is more visually interesting.

As for the legitimacy of this; best to just wait and see I suppose. The truth will out as they say.

Wait...

"Lego's marketing director, Mads Nipper, confirms that the company is negotiating with the people behind the Simpsons, but can not say anything about when an agreement is expected to be in place."

They might be not directly referring to a license on The Simpsons. They might just be reffering to a license on an upcoming Fox movie, maybe even a Dream Works movie, which is owned by Fox. But still, I hope for some Simpsons sets...

Surprised to see a lot of negative views on this.

Having watched The Simpsons from my late childhood, and still a viewer now (although the episodes aren't that good anymore etc etc), I champion the idea of a line of Lego sets based around the show. To say it's racy and obscene is pretty naive, considering some of the other shows nowadays that kids can gain access to (South Park, Family Guy, American Dad). I remember a lot of the 'edgier' jokes on The Simpsons going over my head as a young lad, but now of course, a re-watch adds new levels to the humour of the show.

So bring on The Simpsons sets, if true! :thumbup: Would also be a great way to entice age bracket between 12 and AFOL into purchasing Lego.

Personally I'd prefer a Futurama theme to a Simpsons one if that were the way things go, as I find the Simpsons quite dull. Futurama is more visually interesting.

This is true, the Simpsons would have very domestic sets, whereas Futurama would have rockets ships and stuff. Although isn't Futurama owned by someone else now?

I think this is great. They wouldn't even need a special head mold (Really just different eyes would create the look of the Simpsons). Plus this is a great chance to get a lot of nice cars (Sorry Lego but your constant barrage of emergency vehicles and convertibles is tiring, I want normal everyday vehicles). Plus think of all the various buildings we might get (A great way to build up my city layout).

This is true, the Simpsons would have very domestic sets, whereas Futurama would have rockets ships and stuff. Although isn't Futurama owned by someone else now?

It's aired on comedy central but I believe Fox still owns it.

Edited by strangely

No frikkin way this is real. Lotr, etc have violence but this is a whole different type of adult theme. Again, no frikkin way.

This would be super weird. But hey, we have seen Toy Story Lego, i.e. a toy imitating another toy, which is not a toy, but living, in a render movie pretending to be real. I would not have believed TMHT either.

As many between 30 and 40 I have loved the Simpsons a lot before they reached their peak. Would I feel Simpsons Lego to be a sellout?

Somehow... yes. Like trying to revive a classic that has run it's course.

My name is Mr. Snrub, and I say, let's invest that money back into the nuclear plant.

OK, what the hell, I would buy a Mr. Burns.

Edited by Wardancer

Hate to be negative, but I hope this is false information. The Simpsons is dying, (finally), and this seems like a move to make it "hip with the kids again." TLG, don't do it! Don't let the Simpsons drag you down! I can already imagine the commercials: "Your two favorite yellow people, COMBINED!" Ugh.

The show must still be on many hours a day. When I was in university, it was on four or five times a night on all the different local channels, plus cable airing it however many times. It's not 'hot', but I'm sure it would still be popular with kids. They don't really know what 'new' is since it's all new to them. When I was a kid, I watched Astro Boy and Flintstones all the time with no clue they were 20 years old. At the very least, it has much better market saturation than TMNT does.

If they only made classic vignettes, like Treehouse of Horror scenes, that would be more than enough incentive to get me to buy.

Futurama Lego would be so awesome.

Simpsons Lego would feel a little weird, tbh. In the same way that the Spongebob stuff feels weird...

Not for me. Domestic theme = boring. Also I agree with others here, Simpsons is about to die, and I am also happy about that, it lasted way too long. The last episode I saw about 4 years ago was boring. I also would have liked to see Futurama, it's an exploring theme and has much more potential cause the characters, storyline and everything is just insane and strange. I could come up with much more fun stories myself for Futurama than for the Simpsons. And it's all about imagination, no?

Just like the portal says: Say What? The Simpsons. Yuck. I can not believe the TLG is doing this. :sick: