Set Number: 4528

Price: 16.99? $, 16.99? Euro

Pieces: 41 pieces (incl. 3 spares)

Year of release: 2012

Links: Peeron, Bricklink and Brickset

The Box

Front

4528_001.jpg

The front of the box shows the Green Lantern flying in space over Oa and using his ring’s power to create an energy fist/ball, something.

The LEGO, DC Universe, Super Heroes logos, set number and age range (plus probably more info in the American version) complete the front together with Green Lantern’s name and symbol.

Back

4528_002.jpg

The back shows Joker in an alternate version. Moreover, there are images showing the ball-and-socket building system and the new joint with friction (more on it in Batman's review).

Again, the LEGO, DC Universe, Super Heroes logos, set number Green Lantern’s name(s) and symbol are present.

A small ad for the LEGO Super Heroes site is in the lower right corner, probably connected to the combiner model of Joker and Green Lantern shown in the lower half of the back. I was pleased to notice that this combo is different from the one shown on Joker’s box.

Sides

4528_003.jpg

4528_004.jpg

The sides show a variety of legal notices and ads.

Contents

Inside

4528_010.jpg

The bag contains one bag of parts, two torso bone pieces and an instructions’ booklet. I was pleased to notice that the booklet was not bent, even if it is not card boarded.

4528_011.jpg

Much like Joker’s, Green Lantern’s design includes a number of green parts seldom seen in the Bionicle and Hero Factory lines. White and the black bone pieces complete the set, together with the trans neon green energy parts.

New pieces

4528_012.jpg

The new parts, largely anticipated, are the upper torso piece, here decorated with a Green Lantern symbol, the new joint with friction, the spiked half ball and cone pieces and Hal Jordan’s head.

4528_013.jpg

Green Lantern’s head is all made of hard plastic, and that may explain why it was separated from the other parts, while Batman’s and Joker’s aren’t.

Re-coloured parts

4528_014.jpg

The re-coloured parts include the large shell, the wrist blades support used in Bulk 3.0, the hand shield from Savage Planet and the Hero Factory foot piece.

Spare parts

4528_015.jpg

This set includes 2 spare pieces.

Instructions

4528_005.jpg

The front of the booklet shows the same image as the front of the bag, minus the ads and some other info.

4528_006.jpg

The first page is occupied by a short comic featuring Green Lantern. In lack of a worthy opponent, Green Lantern resolves to smashing asteroids, and seems pretty satisfied with it.

4528_007.jpg

Random page – every step is accompanied by its pieces’ call out box. Nothing too complicated, but useful to tell one shell piece from the other. The background image, in blue/aqua tones, does not distract the eye, but give a pleasant surface on which the steps are displayed.

4528_008.jpg

The usual parts’ list. The right side is lined with the head shots of all three DC Universe Super Heroes sets.

Building

Start

4528_016.jpg

Contrary to what happens with standard Hero Factory and Bionicle builds, the Super Heroes’ building start with the head. This gives the hero a creepy skeleton with fleshy head feel in the first steps.

Adding armour

4528_017.jpg

We proceed to make the character bulkier…

4528_018.jpg

… give him arms ...

4528_019.jpg

… and add the back-pack.

4528_020.jpg

Now, this is what I call a big pair of shoulders!.

4528_021.jpg

Due to the use of a tan friction-less pin/axle part, the head of the energy fist/beam can rotate freely. I think this is a design choice connected to the colour scheme: the standard blue pin/axle with friction would have been too visible inside the trans neon green parts.

Finished set

4528_022.jpg

In brightest day, in blackest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!

Size comparison

4528_023.jpg

These Super Heroes can really dwarf the Hero Factory standard heroes! This, along with the heavy torso and back-pack, is the reason why they were given the special joints with friction, I suppose.

Bonus images

Family shot

4526_026.jpg

Here is a comparative shot of Batman, Joker and Green Lantern. Pick your favourite.

Final comments

Overall, Green Lantern is a great figure. He’s the most bulky in the Super Heroes line, but I don’t think TLG designers went overboard with him. The new and re-coloured pieces are a good addition to anyone’s collection and are excellent MOCing pieces. His design is unique, but still in line with his classic comic style, and the colour scheme is very close to his comic version.

Design & Colour scheme – 10/10 (Very well proportioned and efficient. Green & white with black accents work well together. He has a somewhat mechanical feel, but way less then the HF sets, so it’s good in my opinion.)

Parts – 10/10 (Great variety of useful parts, a reasonable amount of new pieces, and even a cool printed one, not to speak of Green Lantern’s head!)

Playability – 7/10 (The movements are smooth, but somewhat limited, due to the bulky armour, especially on his shoulders.)

Build – 8/10 (Nothing too complex, but some efficient solutions are used.)

Price – 9/10 (I believe it’s a good compromise between number of pieces, their size, the number of new parts in this set and the fact it is a licensed set.)

Overall: 8.8/10 Very good.

As always, questions, comments, and pic requests welcome!

Due to the use of a tan friction-less pin/axle part, the head of the energy fist/beam can rotate freely. I think this is a design choice connected to the colour scheme: the standard blue pin/axle with friction would have been too visible inside the trans neon green parts.

...What? That's a #2 axle x)

Nice review, I like the use of the double torso on this guy

Thanks 'LuxorV' for your third review of this new theme, that head piece and the ring piece a huge :thumbup: to both. Man, this one is really bulked up....been to the gym has he ? :laugh:

We know the Hulk and gang are coming, but I wonder what might be next in the DC collection ? :wink:

Review On ! :grin:

...What? That's a #2 axle x)

Nice review, I like the use of the double torso on this guy

He's talking about the pin/axle used to connect the head of the "morning star" construct to the handle part, which is a separate piece. The head piece can actually be doubled up to make a full mace, as is done in the 2012 Hero Factory set Black Phantom.

I'm really disappointed by the use of bright green- there goes my dream of doing a Lewa revamp. Less money to spend, at least.

That being said, my favourite parts in this set remain the two sections that form the morning star. The head piece can make a great mace as Black Phantom shows, while the "chain" piece is good to build some sort of energy attack. I hope to see these two pieces in more colours in the future (except the already existing black head in the Black Phantom set, of course).

I like Barman as a hero rather than Green Lantern, but I think the latter looks more classy in lego version. It's nice that he has the 'back-pack' making him look complete from behind.

thank you for the review

Out of these three, Green Lantern is my favorite. Even with the extra armor I think this guy looks awesome. I'm probably the only one that will ever rate this set "Outstanding"!

Edited by Studs Not On Top

This is my Least Favorite DC Ultrabuild, the backpack with those shoulder armor thing are really bad and will LEGO please stop using gunmetal plus i don't know why they just used black or white. The head is creepy but alright and i do like that they used the Green Lantern logo on the chest armor.