Set Number: 4527

Price: 16.99? $, 16.99? Euro

Pieces: 62 pieces (incl. 5 spares)

Year of release: 2012

Links: Peeron, Bricklink and Brickset

The Box

Front

4527_001.jpg

The front of the box shows the Joker planning some mischief somewhere in a circus under a nice sunset.

The pose is pretty nice, with the weapon in plain view, and the tails of Joker’s dress spread behind the body. Can you feel his craze seep through your monitor?

The LEGO, DC Universe, Super Heroes logos, set number and age range (plus probably more info in the American version) complete the front together with Joker’s name and Batman’s symbol.

All of these Super Heroes look pretty bulky and mechanised, and I’ve heard TLG found a plausible explanation for this. It seems they are wearing some sort of ‘battle suit’ or ‘power armour’. Now, that works well for Batman, and possibly for Green Lantern (his must be made of will energy from the ring, of course), but I never heard of Joker using a power armour before…

Back

4527_002.jpg

The back shows Joker in an alternate version. Moreover, there are images showing the ball-and-socket building system and the new joint with friction (more on it in Batman's review).

Again, the LEGO, DC Universe, Super Heroes logos, set number Joker’s name(s) and Batman’s symbol are present.

A small ad for the LEGO Super Heroes site is in the lower right corner, probably connected to the combiner model of Joker and Green Lantern shown in the lower half of the back.

Sides

4527_003.jpg

4527_004.jpg

The sides show a variety of legal notices and ads.

Contents

Inside

4527_010.jpg

The bag contains two bags of parts and an instructions’ booklet. I was pleased to notice that the booklet was not bent, even if it is not card boarded.

4527_011.jpg

I like how Joker’s design includes a variety of colourful parts, especially in green and purple, two colours we seldom see in the Bionicle and Hero Factory lines.

New pieces

4527_012.jpg

The new parts, largely anticipated, are the long torso piece, here decorated with a colourful flower, the new joint with 3 balls, the revolver piece and Joker’s head.

4527_013.jpg

The long torso piece uses the standard ball and socket connection to attach to the torso bone piece.

4527_014.jpg

Joker’s head is made of hard plastic, covered with a hairs of soft, rubbery plastic.

Re-coloured parts

4527_015.jpg

The re-coloured parts include the large shell and smallest shell in purple, the long tail piece (used as wings for Batman) also in purple, the motor hood already seen in DrillDozer, here in trans neon red, and the System flag/shock piece in a green/purple mix.

Spare parts

4527_016.jpg

This set, which already includes the largest number of parts from the Super Heroes line, also includes the largest number of extras: 5 spare pieces to use in MOCs and or tweak Joker with.

Instructions

4527_005.jpg

The front of the booklet shows the same image as the front of the bag, minus the ads and some other info.

4527_006.jpg

The first page is occupied by a short comic featuring Batman and Joker.

4527_007.jpg

Random page – every step is accompanied by its pieces’ call out box. Nothing too complicated, but useful to tell one shell piece from the other. The background image, in blue/aqua tones, does not distract the eye, but give a pleasant surface on which the steps are displayed.

4527_008.jpg

The usual parts’ list. The right side is lined with the head shots of all three DC Universe Super Heroes sets.

Building

Start

4527_017.jpg

Contrary to what happens with standard Hero Factory and Bionicle builds, the Super Heroes’ building start with the head. This gives the hero a creepy skeleton with fleshy head feel in the first steps.

Adding armour

4527_018.jpg

We proceed to make the character bulkier…

4527_019.jpg

… give him arms ...

4527_020.jpg

… and add the back-pack.

4527_021.jpg

Now, while I like the look of this tails from the front, from the side they look just like a couple of reptilian appendages, making Joker seem some sort of crazy therapod offspring.

4527_022.jpg

The weapon is just a colourful gun Joker might have used in one of his many incarnations.

I like the new ‘revolver’ piece, though I wish TLG included at least two in this set, to give the weapon a more proportioned and sturdy look. Having it in solid colours would be interesting, also.

Finished set

4527_023.jpg

Batman will have his share of pain capturing this crazed, and now power armoured, villain, no doubt.

Size comparison

4527_024.jpg

These Super Heroes can really dwarf the Hero Factory standard heroes! This, along with the heavy torso and back-pack, is the reason why they were given the special joints with friction, I suppose.

Bonus images

Family shot

4526_026.jpg

Here is a comparative shot of Batman, Joker and Green Lantern. Pick your favourite.

Final comments

Overall, Joker is a good figure, but I must say I never liked the character too much He’s the less bulky in the Super Heroes line, but I think he’ll compensate with his craze. The new and re-coloured pieces are a good addition to anyone’s collection and are excellent MOCing pieces. His design is unique, but still in line with his classic comic style, and the colour scheme is excellent for this hyped clown.

Design & Colour scheme – 10/10 (Very well proportioned and efficient. Green & purple work well together. He has a somewhat mechanical feel, but way less then the HF sets, so it’s good in my opinion.)

Parts – 10/10 (Great variety of useful parts, a reasonable amount of new pieces, and even a cool printed one, not to speak of Joker’s head, completed with spiky hair!)

Playability – 7/10 (The movements are smooth, but somewhat limited, due to the bulky armour, especially on his shoulders.)

Build – 8/10 (Nothing too complex, but some efficient solutions are used.)

Price – 9/10 (I believe it’s a good compromise between number of pieces, their size, the number of new parts in this set and the fact it is a licensed set.)

Overall: 8.8/10 Very good.

As always, questions, comments, and pic requests welcome!

Great review! Incidentally, are this guy's green pieces regular green or bright green? I could ask the same about Green Lantern. In pics they look closer to Bright Green, which I notice LEGO's using a lot more in sets these days. This guy does indeed have some great pieces, including his Medium Lilac parts but also the dual-snap pieces used to attach things to his back. You can never have two many of those in either style.

Also, the new ball-joint piece you list with the new pieces is in fact not new. It debuted in Waspix, and was used to attach his middle set of limbs.

Great review! Incidentally, are this guy's green pieces regular green or bright green? I could ask the same about Green Lantern. In pics they look closer to Bright Green, which I notice LEGO's using a lot more in sets these days. This guy does indeed have some great pieces, including his Medium Lilac parts but also the dual-snap pieces used to attach things to his back. You can never have two many of those in either style.

They are both using bright green.

Also, the new ball-joint piece you list with the new pieces is in fact not new. It debuted in Waspix, and was used to attach his middle set of limbs.

I had a feeling I had seen it somewhere, but could not remember excatly. :tongue:

They are both using bright green.

Thanks! I'm sure some Hero Factory and BIONICLE fans will be disappointed, since that color's never appeared in either theme until the 2012 sets, and I'm sure people were hoping for more green that would match the green used for Nex 2.0, Nex 3.0, and BIONICLE sets like Lewa. At the same time, Bright Green is being used more often in a lot of themes, and I'm a big fan of it, so I say bring it on!

I had a feeling I had seen it somewhere, but could not remember excatly. :tongue:

No problem. Waspix is the only 2011 set that uses it, so it's a very rare piece. I don't even have one yet, which is a shame because I think it would be useful for making smaller-scale animals for HF. I'm very glad that the 2012 sets are using it more often-- I believe Thornraxx has two!

What do you mean by joint with friction?

The back shows Joker in an alternate version. Moreover, there are images showing the ball-and-socket building system and the new joint with friction (more on it later).

The back shows Joker in an alternate version. Moreover, there are images showing the ball-and-socket building system and the new joint with friction (more on it later).

What do you mean by joint with friction?

I meant to put the description in all 3 Super Heroes reviews, then thought it would have been too redundant. You'll find it's description in Batman's review.

Basically, it's a joint with a rubbery cap in it which provides friction. It makes the Super Heroes' (and Black Phantom's, I think) hips more sturdy.

'LuxorV' again thanks for this review, the Joker....Mr. Go With A Smile, in a way a slightly better build than Bat's and the best part - the gun ! :devil:

I would say another good seller Lego might just have on their hands next year. :wink:

Great review. I can tell you put some time into making it and editing the pics. It looks like an interesting character. I've never heard of this until now. I might have to get one of these.

4527_014.jpg

Batman’s head is made of hard plastic, covered with a hairs of soft, rubbery plastic.

Batman would be mad if people started calling Joker Batman :tongue:

Thank you for the review!

I found the structure of this set a bit awkward to look at :sceptic:

I honestly don't know what to think. I have collected Batman action figures since I was 4, I LOVE variant figures and so on, but these are a little too much...

Almost reminds me of that Cyber Revolution line Mattel cancelled a couple of years ago.

The Joker looks ridiculous. IMHO. And Batman looks amazingly bad, I say.

Edited by Dino_Bot

Batman would be mad if people started calling Joker Batman :tongue:

Ooops! :blush:

Not sure if its the pictures, but is the purple the same as from Evo 2.0?

Yes, it's the same purple.

I honestly don't know what to think. I have collected Batman action figures since I was 4, I LOVE variant figures and so on, but these are a little too much...

Almost reminds me of that Cyber Revolution line Mattel cancelled a couple of years ago.

The Joker looks ridiculous. IMHO. And Batman looks amazingly bad, I say.

The Joker could really work as a giant robot for the minifig joker.

4527_019.jpg

They really should have stopped here. All the extra armor makes him look cluttered, and his color scheme is horrible.

Where the upper leg attaches to the new friction joint-- is that a sturdy connection or does it tend to move?

Eh...

He looks nice, but pricey. Only reason I'd get him is for the purple, which, my guess will soon be in hero factory or a better superhero set, so a definate pass on this one.

I doubt it. The next super heroes won't have any purple it seems. I don't think they would use that many purple in a HF character either. I can hope though.

These really are good only for the bricks. But they come in such unusual colors. Then we have the friction joints, I hope black phantom has them, but if he doesn't, I would feel forced to buy these ... things in quantity.

I doubt it. The next super heroes won't have any purple it seems. I don't think they would use that many purple in a HF character either. I can hope though.

These really are good only for the bricks. But they come in such unusual colors. Then we have the friction joints, I hope black phantom has them, but if he doesn't, I would feel forced to buy these ... things in quantity.

Black Phantom has two of them, one on each shoulder. They take the place of the awkward Technic suspension used for Rocka XL and Fire Lord.

It's a bit of a shame that as of yet there are no sets with more than two of these. It would be excellent if they got added to the online Pick-A-Brick.

I think the set is very unattractive, but I'll be getting at least one for the purple armor. Purple <3

Same here, I'll be using it for a black and purple moc for the HF side.

Though I really wish they could had done purple feet for Joker.

All the extra armor makes him look cluttered, and his color scheme is horrible.

What. The extra armour is his "suit coat". the tail parts are the tails of the jacket, and the purple parts up top are supposed to be like the big shoulders in a lot of formal men's jackets. The green armour plate is the button-down shirt, the lightning piece is the tie. While I think the effect would be better if the upper legs and arms were also purple, that's why his colours are what they are. They're a pretty faithful rendition of his comic form.

Out of three Super Hero action figures I like this one the least. Face is ugly and gun is ridiculous. Not to mention shoe color.

My theory is that designers specifically designed this one to be least likable so kids could dish out punishment with hero figures without any consideration for Joker's wellbeing. :tongue:

What. The extra armour is his "suit coat". the tail parts are the tails of the jacket, and the purple parts up top are supposed to be like the big shoulders in a lot of formal men's jackets. The green armour plate is the button-down shirt, the lightning piece is the tie. While I think the effect would be better if the upper legs and arms were also purple, that's why his colours are what they are. They're a pretty faithful rendition of his comic form.

I see what you mean, but everything here looks out-of-proportion and ends up ridiculus, in my opinion (I know the Joker is certainly a ridiculous character, but this is unnecessary). I would have preferred the green torso with a printed coat over it, and maybe a new mold for the coat tails. Still, the oversized gun suits him fine.

>sees that people rate this set poor

>why.jpg

Apart from that ridicilous (ridiclous, ridiculeous, whatever) "tail" pieces on the back, this set is really good.

But that head is gonna give me nightmares.

Joker looks okay to me. What really bugs me is his hollow back, which became very obvious here due to the "lizard tails" which assume he's wearing a jacket when he actually isn't.

But thanks for the review. I really hope some of his pieces (like purple armour) make it to Pick-a-Brick though.