ZCerberus

Albion: the capital city of Avalonia

I claim 80 the big tower of the first wall.

I've one question a wall is 20 bricks tal, but how many bricks wide?

I have been thinking about this...

I was trying to give a general height so we don't have absurd scale issues. I came up with 20 as a comprimise between realistic scale (in reality they could be MUCH taller) and what is reasonably achievable in LEGO bricks. My thought was it would be 20 bricks to the top of the wall (so battlements or whatever might start somewhere below that). However, it is not a hard and fast number, as variation in an actual castle wall (depending on the terrain etc) would vary and because as I have said, the main thing I was attempting to prevent was giant variations in scale. If the wall is 18 bricks tall or 22 bricks tall, I think that is just fine. I just want to avoid having one wall be 10 bricks tall and another be 60 brick tall attached to a pair of towers right next to each other on the build plans.

Same thing for thickness, we want people to use their own judgements as to what will make sense with a 20 stud tall wall for the area they are building. I anticipate this will be less of an issue than height so we am leaving it up to the builder's own tastse.

Just for your own reference, I think the walls I will make for the great gatehouse will likely be between 3-5 studs thick.

Edited by ZCerberus

I have completed the Temple of Mars (Ares)

A bit on the small side and built with some more common bricks, I think this build has defined my building style of using more common pieces to make nice-looking MOCs.

Mars Ultor, The Avenger; God of War and Blood. The Romans' most revered God, he brought down the tide of battle onto Rome's enemies and crushed all who opposed them. In Albion, Mars is a popular deity because of his battle spirit and his philosophy of war.

"One who seeks war is foolish, one who is prepared for war is wise."

Fighters and warriors who enter the city of Albion go to the Temple of Mars for blessing in battle and bring offerings for him.

dsc01209.jpg

Here, a warrior from a land far away comes to give thanks to Mars for prowess in battle. Two knights are stationed at the Temple in case of looters and robbers.

dsc01210.jpg

This Statue of Mars has been commissioned by Artorious Rex for the Temple specifically. His weaponry has changed from the Roman pilum, to a more Avalonian longsword, likewise, his boar shield has been changed by a round buckler similar to the one carried by Lord Rex. The offerings has been given.

dsc01212.jpg

Close-up of the knight, he offers his sword as a token of gratitude for his ability in battle.

dsc01214.jpg

Behind him, a mysterious fighter from a land to the East, he wields no weapons except for his fists and feet. He is in Albion to participate a tournament testing him against skilled fighters from around the world. I stand in the background. :sweet:

Thank you for watching.

I'd like to build 7, I'll make a wizard shop for it. I'll think about a fitting name when it's build.

I would like to build #31 Temple of Minerva. But isn't Minerva Goddess of battle strategy instead of peace? Or would that be Bellona?

Edited by volcanicpanik

I would like to build #31 Temple of Minerva. But isn't Minerva Goddess of battle strategy instead of peace? Or would that be Bellona?

I suppose Minerva would be more like the Goddess of wisdom (Minerva is Athena-esque). Notice I said Goddess of Wisdom AND peace. I was not really going for a literal translation, I was just looking for the "anti" God of war in a sense. Athena is often a foil for Ares in the Greek world, so I figured Minerva and Mars had a similar relationship in the Roman mythology (since variations outside of names are usually slight). There is likely a minor God or Goddess that is literally closer to "peace" but that is not really what I was going for! I went with peace in the description to hype up the "anti" Mars idea.

EDIT: Since you are doing both, I personally think it would be a cool idea if you made the two temples as "opposite" as possible... just a thought.

Edited by ZCerberus

Before anyone else claims it, I would like 43. I haven't decided what to do with it yet, but I will decide that soon. I just wanted the pitch so that no-one else could take it.

Before anyone else claims it, I would like 43. I haven't decided what to do with it yet, but I will decide that soon. I just wanted the pitch so that no-one else could take it.

There is plenty of space still available. Come up with a general idea of what you are building and I will reserve that plot for you.

Yes

Can we build like farms and such outside the city? And by such I mean like the river area, the paths, fields, and the forest area outside the city.

Yes. It won't have anything to do with this. This is only for Albion. Read everything in the first post for the Avalonia guild. Read all the sticky topics in the historic forum. Read the first post in everything.

There is plenty of space still available. Come up with a general idea of what you are building and I will reserve that plot for you.

Understood.

I speak for Lord Tigerius, requests either plot 26 or 27 for a Locksmith (he is very handy our Tigerius to have around :wink: )

Avalonia Forever !

For the plot I will build a small tavern called 'the rampant lion'.

I would like to concentrate on temples for Gods, I will make a general topic for the temples I make in Albion.

If I can claim two plots, I would like to claim #49 as the Temple of Neptune and #57 Temple of Victoria.

My blacksmith is done to the great Albion!

6491617121_8ba9d623c9.jpg

Blacksmith by de Gothia, on Flickr

Here is the topic http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63328

Volcanopanik: Even if I´m not intrested in the temples someone else would be and want to build those to, claiming all is perhaps not that good..

Edited by de Gothia

Ok, I'll just take #49 then. I'm sorry if anyone if anyone was offended by my actions.

It´s ok, I´m sure no one was offended, but that was just my thoughts.. :classic:

I have been thinking about this...

I was trying to give a general height so we don't have absurd scale issues. I came up with 20 as a comprimise between realistic scale (in reality they could be MUCH taller) and what is reasonably achievable in LEGO bricks. My thought was it would be 20 bricks to the top of the wall (so battlements or whatever might start somewhere below that). However, it is not a hard and fast number, as variation in an actual castle wall (depending on the terrain etc) would vary and because as I have said, the main thing I was attempting to prevent was giant variations in scale. If the wall is 18 bricks tall or 22 bricks tall, I think that is just fine. I just want to avoid having one wall be 10 bricks tall and another be 60 brick tall attached to a pair of towers right next to each other on the build plans.

Same thing for thickness, we want people to use their own judgements as to what will make sense with a 20 stud tall wall for the area they are building. I anticipate this will be less of an issue than height so we am leaving it up to the builder's own tastse.

Just for your own reference, I think the walls I will make for the great gatehouse will likely be between 3-5 studs thick.

Thank you for the information ZCerberus. I've started my tower and also a rest of the walls. The walls are around 19 bricks tall, but due to the tallness of the walls I'va been thinking about the tallness of the tower. For scale reasons the tower should be 30 or more bricks tall at a minimun. I hope this is ok. Or does this run into a scale problem?

BR

Thank you for the information ZCerberus. I've started my tower and also a rest of the walls. The walls are around 19 bricks tall, but due to the tallness of the walls I'va been thinking about the tallness of the tower. For scale reasons the tower should be 30 or more bricks tall at a minimun. I hope this is ok. Or does this run into a scale problem?

BR

nope, sounds like a good choice!

Like I said, I expect things will fluctuate some, I just don't want MASSIVE scale issues like a 100 x 100 two story house that is 50 bricks tall and a 10 x 10 tower that is only 10 bricks tall.

Ok, I'll just take #49 then. I'm sorry if anyone if anyone was offended by my actions.

No need to be offended. I think de Gothia is just being a good citizen and is trying to make sure we encourage participation and give everyone a chance to built something they find interesting. We don't want Albion to be built by a single builder because as we said in the first post, this is a task for ALL Avalonians. A few members have already produced two buildings and though that is completely fine (and there is even space for more buildings by those builders), just like I told Silver.Smith when he wanted to claim multiple plots (EDIT: and I am SURE he would have done a GREAT job on all those plots), we need to balance taking multiple plots and getting the capital built with allowing everyone to participate. There are some builders who take on bigger builds or whose build style is a little slower than others. Not every one can make a MOC in a day like de Gothia, Andonii or Derfel Cadarn can so we don't need to be in such a rush to claim every plot now. The guilds will continue for a while, so savor the experience! We haven't set a build limit for individual people yet and I hope not to. I will just suggest everyone keep in mind that we are a large guild and we want everyone to have a chance to participate, so if you have produced several buildings or claimed several of the same type of build then think of others before deciding what to build next.

As for the plots you asked for, 49 it is. Temple of Neptune. I think it is good that you did both Mars and Minerva since they are the two Gods I thought were so good to contrast. Neptune is also a good God choice since Albion is right on the river.

Edited by ZCerberus

I updated the first post with a new drawing of the Inner Sanctum. Fear not, the buidlings are still more or less the same shape and in the same locations, but the new sketch matches the overview in terms of overall shape and color much better (not to mention that I am more pleased with it)

I also heard from some little birdy that there would be a prize for the best building in the capital... I didn't even know that!! I don't know what that prize will be, but I will update the first post when I hear.

I still ask that we try to keep scale in mind when building in the capital in light of the prize situation. I don't know the judging criteria yet, but I would think if you make some that doesn't scale well it will not do as well as something that is well designed and has the right scale.

We still have plenty of space in the capital, so join the project my Avalonian friends!